American farmers freaking/worried

You will still be fed, the difference is that instead of your food coming from family farms it will come from corporate owned farms that also control processing and distribution. So prices go up and they will have the ability to use food as a weapon.

You will still be fed, the difference is that instead of your food coming from family farms it will come from corporate owned farms that also control processing and distribution. So prices go up and they will have the ability to use food as a weapon.
My uncle owns his own farm on his own land. He owns his own fields that he grows crops on. He helps feed us from the crops that he grows. No one is going to mess with his farm and fields.

My uncle owns his own farm on his own land. He owns his own fields that he grows crops on. He helps feed us from the crops that he grows. No one is going to mess with his farm and fields.
Are you prepared to take up arms? My family owns a farm in middle Tennessee. The radical left has already tried to push Zimbabwe, South Africa-esque farm 'reforms' to give land to undeserving minorities in the name of anti-racism. What makes you think they won't start taking land from people to accomplish this?

With more than 2.2 million acres, Liberty Media chairman John Malone remains America's largest private landowner. But there's a new No. 2. California's Emmerson Family, owners of Sierra Pacific Industries, moved up almost 122,000 acres to 2,078,032 acres, just ahead of No. 3 Ted Turner at 2 million acres.

https://www.growingamerica.com/news/2020/02/land-report-releases-list-100-largest-landowners-us

Per your article Gates owns 242,000 acres. Maybe they are making a distinction between farmland and land used for other purposes but still with over 2 million acres it probably wouldn't take much to carve out 2-300 thousand acres for crop production.

Yeah they will. If Biden's tax plan passes it will be gone when he passes. Just like my families farm.

Reactions: 10nacvols
To further things, this exact tax plan has my dad's family (farmers) extremely concerned. It's a disaster.

To further things, this exact tax plan has my dad's family (farmers) extremely concerned. It's a disaster.

It's a complete disaster, family farms (1000 acres or less for dirt farmers and under 500 head for beef/dairy) won't survive. They know this and it's calculated.

Then you throw in growing counties that that want to tax farmland at the same rate as residential lots and there is no way to survive.

Reactions: davethevol
It's a complete disaster, family farms (1000 acres or less for dirt farmers and under 500 head for beef/dairy) won't survive. They know this and it's calculated.

Then you throw in growing counties that that want to tax farmland at the same rate as residential lots and there is no way to survive.
The Dems dont care care what actually happens as long as they get to virtue signal about it.

They are sticking it to the corporate farmerswhile it's the family farm that goes under.

Are you prepared to take up arms? My family owns a farm in middle Tennessee. The radical left has already tried to push Zimbabwe, South Africa-esque farm 'reforms' to give land to undeserving minorities in the name of anti-racism. What makes you think they won't start taking land from people to accomplish this?
Already taken up arms. There will be a fight, and it won’t be pretty.

Can you link anything about Biden's tax plan re farmers/farms?

It's explained in the OP's link. It eliminates the "Step-Up basis" for calculating capitol gains off of inherited physical property. Right now if you inherited your families farm the the value is figured at what it's worth today, Bidens plan eliminates that. Your cap gains would be figured at what the property was originally worth.

Reactions: McDad
It's explained in the OP's link. It eliminates the "Step-Up basis" for calculating capitol gains off of inherited physical property. Right now if you inherited your families farm the the value is figured at what it's worth today, Bidens plan eliminates that. Your cap gains would be figured at what the property was originally worth.
Thank you. Cap gains on when the property sells or changes hands?

On inheritance. The gains are only realized upon sale as it stands now.
If that's the tax plan, it's literally the easiest tax to work around. Don't get me wrong, I think the plan is idiotic. But if it is implemented, farmers have pre existing structure which will prevent both sale to heirs or inheritance.

VN Store

Back