Amani Bartlett

Whether Amani Bartlett changes her mind in the future due to her young age when committing is irrelevant. Bottom line is that RIGHT NOW she is proud to call herself a future Lady Vol and I am proud to say, "Congratulations! You'll love Tennessee! Keep your jump shot high and your grades higher, and we'll see you in a few years!"

Reactions: 6 people
Ricktser and mlindsay I appreciate your responses and your positive efforts to educate even the most negative boarders. One day at a time, one commitment, one recognition of the quality of the team.

A player from Texas comes with her father to observe the Tn Tx game. The LV staff were aware of her presence to the point that they were willing to offer and have the offer accepted. So reversing the question - why would the LV staff make an offer to a young lady? the answer I am sure is NOT that she won't keep the commitment.

go LVs

Reactions: 2 people
Ricktser and mlindsay I appreciate your responses and your positive efforts to educate even the most negative boarders. One day at a time, one commitment, one recognition of the quality of the team.

A player from Texas comes with her father to observe the Tn Tx game. The LV staff were aware of her presence to the point that they were willing to offer and have the offer accepted. So reversing the question - why would the LV staff make an offer to a young lady? the answer I am sure is NOT that she won't keep the commitment.

go LVs

They didn't offer her.

go LVs

The answer to the reverse question you pose is - They would not. At least, not under these circumstances. Unless they want to be in violation of NCAA regulations on recruiting and possibly see this young lady unable to attend the University of Tennessee on a basketball scholarship.

Before fans of a program start making statements (and I'm not suggesting that is something you did, stllvf) regarding something the staff is or is not doing as it relates to recruiting, it might behoove them to become more familiar with the regulations in that regard.

Jim

They didn't offer her.

So she verballed to a school who didn’t send grant her an offer? I’m confused and didn’t think that was possible....

I know verbals aren’t binding but I thought when you give your commitment (verbally) to a university it is done after they have granted you an offer!

Enlighten me please!

Reactions: 1 person
So she verballed to a school who didn’t send grant her an offer? I’m confused and didn’t think that was possible....

I know verbals aren’t binding but I thought when you give your commitment (verbally) to a university it is done after they have granted you an offer!

Enlighten me please!

IMHO, we are treading in potentially sensitive waters here and, just maybe, should consider letting this go.

IMHO, we are treading in potentially sensitive waters here and, just maybe, should consider letting this go.
Please explain...many 8th graders have been offered scholarships on football. I believe Pat extended an offer to Parker's daughter at birth. An offer isn't binding or illegal. No binding aspect can be signed until her senior year, at which point she will be bond to Tennessee. Pat also offered Nared a scholarship as a sophmore when in Oregon and offered all the 4 Oregon girls scholarships...we got 3 of them. No harm in knowing where your dreams will take you to school God willing. Announcing your list is one school can really free a teenager up from the growing ridiculous nature of recruiting and rabid fans.

Enlighten me please!

Don’t get hyped over something you know is not true lol... next thing is as close as Maria Cornelius is with this staff you know she has the inside scoop and that if something was off she would know. I think the LV had their eyes on this young lady (just like offering the Hayes sisters at young ages, which was something multiple other schools did, and it was a good idea because they are balling out).

Don’t get hyped over something you know is not true lol... next thing is as close as Maria Cornelius is with this staff you know she has the inside scoop and that if something was off she would know. I think the LV had their eyes on this young lady (just like offering the Hayes sisters at young ages, which was something multiple other schools did, and it was a good idea because they are balling out).

Trust me, I am not and I don't think someone creating a thread about her announcing her verbal commitment to our program is an issue.

A lot of times people like to make something out of nothing.

Trust me, I am not and I don't think someone creating a thread about her announcing her verbal commitment to our program is an issue.

A lot of times people like to make something out of nothing.

Yea, I was talking about the she wasn offered part lol. Of course she was offered... why would our coaching staff accept a commitment from someone who wasn’t on their radar 😂... that’s the difference with players having unconditional and conditional offers I would say. Players like evina could pull the trigger to commit whenever. Other players have to wait and see where players fall. While others get the offer and go because they know where they want to be.

Yea, I was talking about the she wasn offered part lol. Of course she was offered... why would our coaching staff accept a commitment from someone who wasn’t on their radar 😂... that’s the difference with players having unconditional and conditional offers I would say. Players like evina could pull the trigger to commit whenever. Other players have to wait and see where players fall. While others get the offer and go because they know where they want to be.

Did anyone notice the pass around her neck? I don’t think she picked that up at the will Call window!!!!

First of all the family planned this trip on their dime!!!

Does anyone think they can call the university and say my freshman kid wants to come and watch the game and by the way we want to talk to Holly?????

With no one on the staff having a clue who you are or your kid!!!! Duuuhhhh

I can assure anyone with just a little common sense that aaaallllll the coaches....assistants....ball girls....managers.... knew EXACTLY every recruit that was at the game and which recruits did not make the trip!!
They know their parents....their other children’s and their names... their high school and the coach there... and now a days their AAU team and that coaches names plus who is playing on the AAU team with the recruit!!!!!! They probably know if an Aunt or Uncle played ANY college sports and where!

Just because the University could not get involved financially...... DOES NOT MEAN THEY WERE NOT INVOLVED! JMO

Reactions: 5 people
Did anyone notice the pass around her neck? I don’t think she picked that up at the will Call window!!!!

First of all the family planned this trip on their dime!!!

Does anyone think they can call the university and say my freshman kid wants to come and watch the game and by the way we want to talk to Holly?????

With no one on the staff having a clue who you are or your kid!!!! Duuuhhhh

I can assure anyone with just a little common sense that aaaallllll the coaches....assistants....ball girls....managers.... knew EXACTLY every recruit that was at the game and which recruits did not make the trip!!
They know their parents....their other children’s and their names... their high school and the coach there... and now a days their AAU team and that coaches names plus who is playing on the AAU team with the recruit!!!!!! They probably know if an Aunt or Uncle played ANY college sports and where!

Just because the University could not get involved financially...... DOES NOT MEAN THEY WERE NOT INVOLVED! JMO

This topic clearly has you perturbed. I wonder why?

The fans in this thread who are discussing "offers" to prospective student-athletes should really take a moment to read the NCAA regulations. (It can be downloaded for free.) The section related to recruiting is Section 13. The Athletic Department has a Compliance Officer with staff to insure that coaches and staff don't run afoul of these rules and even then, minor infractions get reported on a regular basis.

A number of the things that are being attributed to the Lady Vol coaches would, in my reading of the regs, be major violations and could, if they actually happened, result in Tennessee being excluded from recruiting certain individuals.

Jim

NCAA Division I 2017-18 Manual

NOPE...not perturbed at all.

I have been through recruiting process personally and with a child.

I was amazed about how much information and effort that goes into the process. Thought all of the worriers about Holly’s recruitment process should realize it is quite complex. I think they (University of Tennessee athletic department) would know what they are doing! And again.., JMO

“ I Wonder Why”

You are right:
I am mad that I did not get any credit for the recruiting of the player and after all of the millions of dollars I gave to the university!

And the family using my personal airplane to fly up

And the hotel and meals I paid for!

I get no respect!

Really perturbed 😜

The fans in this thread who are discussing "offers" to prospective student-athletes should really take a moment to read the NCAA regulations. (It can be downloaded for free.) The section related to recruiting is Section 13. The Athletic Department has a Compliance Officer with staff to insure that coaches and staff don't run afoul of these rules and even then, minor infractions get reported on a regular basis.

A number of the things that are being attributed to the Lady Vol coaches would, in my reading of the regs, be major violations and could, if they actually happened, result in Tennessee being excluded from recruiting certain individuals.

Jim

NCAA Division I 2017-18 Manual

Huh? You can offer a student athlete while they are a freshman in HS. Candice Parker had offers going in the 8th grade. So what is being said that the coaches did wrong ?

Huh? You can offer a student athlete while they are a freshman in HS. Candice Parker had offers going in the 8th grade. So what is being said that the coaches did wrong ?

If you read the regs, as I suggested, you will see that a school cannot even send recruiting material to a prospective student-athlete until the start of their junior year in high school. If you do not think an offer of a basketball scholarship is a form of recruiting material, we'll just have to differ in our reading/understanding of the regs.

I know that schools have ways of insuring that their interest in a particular recruit is communicated to that recruit. I am not in any way actively involved in recruiting, but, from what I have read and heard, communication to a player's coach is frequently used. But, even then, a school must be careful in their phrasing so that the information is not transmitted as a definite "offer".

Perhaps someone who has been actively involved in the recruiting process, either as a parent or an athlete could weigh in and explain some aspects of the process more accurately.

Jim

"An institution shall not provide recruiting materials, including general correspondence related to athletics, or send electronic correspondence to an individual (or his or her parents or legal guardians) until September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school. . ."

"13.4.1.8 Responding to Prospective Student-Athlete’s Request. Institutional staff members (including athletics staff members) may respond to a prospective student-athlete’s letter or electronic correspondence requesting information from an institution’s athletics department prior to the permissible date on which an institution may begin to provide recruiting materials to a prospective student-athlete, provided the written response does not include information that would initiate the recruitment of the prospective student-athlete or information related to the institution’s athletics program (e.g., the reply contains an explanation of current NCAA legislation or a referral to the admissions department). An electronic reply must be a permissible form of electronic correspondence. [D] (Revised: 5/26/06, 4/20/11, 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14)"

Lauren Avant got an offer from Pat in the eighth grade!
I think Sade Wiley Gatewood did as well.:mf_surrender:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
If you read the regs, as I suggested, you will see that a school cannot even send recruiting material to a prospective student-athlete until the start of their junior year in high school. If you do not think an offer of a basketball scholarship is a form of recruiting material, we'll just have to differ in our reading/understanding of the regs.

I know that schools have ways of insuring that their interest in a particular recruit is communicated to that recruit. I am not in any way actively involved in recruiting, but, from what I have read and heard, communication to a player's coach is frequently used. But, even then, a school must be careful in their phrasing so that the information is not transmitted as a definite "offer".

Perhaps someone who has been actively involved in the recruiting process, either as a parent or an athlete could weigh in and explain some aspects of the process more accurately.

Jim

"An institution shall not provide recruiting materials, including general correspondence related to athletics, or send electronic correspondence to an individual (or his or her parents or legal guardians) until September 1 at the beginning of his or her junior year in high school. . ."

"13.4.1.8 Responding to Prospective Student-Athlete’s Request. Institutional staff members (including athletics staff members) may respond to a prospective student-athlete’s letter or electronic correspondence requesting information from an institution’s athletics department prior to the permissible date on which an institution may begin to provide recruiting materials to a prospective student-athlete, provided the written response does not include information that would initiate the recruitment of the prospective student-athlete or information related to the institution’s athletics program (e.g., the reply contains an explanation of current NCAA legislation or a referral to the admissions department). An electronic reply must be a permissible form of electronic correspondence. [D] (Revised: 5/26/06, 4/20/11, 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14)"

I am speaking as a high school coach who has put multiple athletes into division 1 and 2 schools for running. One of my runners was nationally ranked runner/ all American coming out of his freshman year. How did coaches recruit him so early through me ! They called me and the school and visited both to show their faces. They would say “hey if he ever wants to come on campus and visit let me know” of course they gave the talk about it couldn’t be an official but it would be an unofficial visit and they could get tours of the campus along with meeting teammates and talking to other people. They also contacted our guidance department and trust me you hear “ we sure would love to have a kid like him/her on the team and we would do our best to find them some money to get them there”. So my head guidance counselor just ended up asking “ are you saying you would accept a commitment” and we often got yes to that question. For some of the other athletes got well not yet we are just keeping an eye on them. So while they may not receive material before that point it is NOT against regulations to see the athlete and send a verbal offer from the coach word of mouth! An athlete can contact the coach. Just not always vice versa due to recruiting periods !

I am speaking as a high school coach who has put multiple athletes into division 1 and 2 schools for running. One of my runners was nationally ranked runner/ all American coming out of his freshman year. How did coaches recruit him so early through me ! They called me and the school and visited both to show their faces. They would say “hey if he ever wants to come on campus and visit let me know” of course they gave the talk about it couldn’t be an official but it would be an unofficial visit and they could get tours of the campus along with meeting teammates and talking to other people. They also contacted our guidance department and trust me you hear “ we sure would love to have a kid like him/her on the team and we would do our best to find them some money to get them there”. So my head guidance counselor just ended up asking “ are you saying you would accept a commitment” and we often got yes to that question. For some of the other athletes got well not yet we are just keeping an eye on them. So while they may not receive material before that point it is NOT against regulations to see the athlete and send a verbal offer from the coach word of mouth! An athlete can contact the coach. Just not always vice versa due to recruiting periods !

Well, I think we just said the same thing. Any information "passed" to a student athlete before their junior year has to be "informal" i.e. not an actual "offer", which is a formal effort to recruit. Saying that the staff has made a formal offer is, in my reading of the regs, tantamount to a major violation. Coaches don't make "offers" in these kind of circumstances, as much as we fans might like to believe otherwise. They simply make their interest known in an informal, non-binding way!

And, while I am sure there are people reading this who believe that I am arguing over semantics, let me just say that the NCAA can use these regs, and any perceived violation of them by a coaching staff, to hammer a program. And the NCAA reads these rules and regs literally, in my opinion.

Jim

Well, I think we just said the same thing. Any information "passed" to a student athlete before their junior year has to be "informal" i.e. not an actual "offer", which is a formal effort to recruit. Saying that the staff has made a formal offer is, in my reading of the regs, tantamount to a major violation. Coaches don't make "offers" in these kind of circumstances, as much as we fans might like to believe otherwise. They simply make their interest known in an informal, non-binding way!

And, while I am sure there are people reading this who believe that I am arguing over semantics, let me just say that the NCAA can use these regs, and any perceived violation of them by a coaching staff, to hammer a program. And the NCAA reads these rules and regs literally, in my opinion.

Jim

Semantics aside they offer students earlier than their junior years... look at these student twitters they are littered with I am blessed to have received an offer from ... and those coaches mark down when a student verbally which they do “verbally” to the coach. Because they have to keep track of how many scholarships they have and so forth.

five years ago the Indiana football coach just recruited from Oklahoma (or State) was ultimately fired for too many texts to recruits. The NCAA has now recognized they can't monitor the social media and that has significantly changed communication with athletes. Today that coach would have not violated existing rules. Now the ease of recording conversations via cell adds another possibility of violation.

I appreciate the quality of Cannon and Va Volman helpful dialogue.

In reality the NCAA has not been able to catch schools that are openly paying athletes as in the FBI and Louisville and five other university bribes. Hopefully a 14 year old girl and her conversation will be understood for what it was.

Jim
Please...in womens basketball they don't even enforce rampant cheating let alone saying hello!

Reactions: 3 people
Just read where Tennessee basketball star Corey Allen was at the Texas game! He brought his 12 year old daughter Cori Allen on an unofficial visit. She is a seventh grade player at West end Middle school. For all of you recruiting rules violators.....
She already has offers from Ole Miss and Middle Tennessee State!!!! Maybe they are violators in recruiting also ??? Her next unofficial visits are to Georgia and Louisville....🤔

VN Store

Back