Altman Front Runner?

Altman would not create the excitement some other candidates might, but I do think he would be successful. We could do far, far worse.

I actually wouldn't be opposed to that hire, although it wouldn't be exciting until they started winning. The crowds wouldn't flock for this hire b/c he isn't known except to the die hards that follow all the teams. Knight is just the best choice b/c love him or hate him, you've heard about him.

I did a little research on him today. Does anyone know why he left Kansas State for Creighton? The papers in Omaha talk about how loyal he is and him being a family guy. He is from Nebraska. I'm not sure he cares about the money that much. That being said, he would be a good hire.

I think I have figured out that we just want someone solid and safe and then we'll see what happens. That said, this is my last post on anything to do with the new basketball coach.

I don't see us trying to make sure that this is a kick-butt hire, whoever it is, so mediocrity being the apparent goal, I'm through with the coaching threads. :twocents:

I guess they have also asked permission to speak to Anderson. I guess that is three now officially: Lutz, Altman, and Anderson so far.

If you've read my posts on the topic you know which one I would go for (HINT: has a recent win over UK).

However, UAB cannot afford to lose him. They can't match the resources UT would throw at him but I'm sure they'll do what they can. Also, as V4L argues, MA is "home" in Birmingham.

Well, It seems that TN is taking the safe (ho-hum) route to fill half of TBA. They say Knight is too old. I guess he wasn't too old last week. My guess is that somebody woke Dickey up and he gave Hamilton his famous speech on the value of BB mediocrity. Or maybe the feud between the rich and the righteous got too hot for Haslam and he didn't want to take the heat for replacing the saint with a sinner. Forget that it has anything to do with basketball. The only gig that could fill TBA now would be Pearl IMO. I just hope that the righteous don't find out that he's Jewish...oh well, Monster truck season at TBA could be exciting next year!

TBALL, where did you hear that UT thinks he's too old? If they think that, they're full of it...look at Bowden (and don't want to hear anyone bring up Joe Pa--different case there)! All I hear on the radio is how we could only get 5 years out of him...that's nutz...as much as he likes to coach, we'd get 10 out of him.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Mar 23, 2005 10:16 PM
I guess they have also asked permission to speak to Anderson. I guess that is three now officially: Lutz, Altman, and Anderson so far.

Not according to Watson Brown, they haven't.

I think graduation rates may move Anderson down the list a bit.

According to The Chattanooga times free press, Tennessee officials spoke with mike anderson wednesday morning.

Attachments

• peyton_eli.jpg
    peyton_eli.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1
Brent Hubbs has said that it appears that Bruce Pearl and Dana Altman are the two leading candidates. He indicated that Pearl might be the favorite to get the job at this point. I know Ernie Grunfield has endorsed Peal for the job. Ernie knows his stuu, it would be wise to listen. I belive he even endorsed Jay Wright before we hired Buzz. Wright now has Villinova in the Sweet 16. I think Pearl would be a good choice. I believe Anderson is the safest bet as far as recruiting goes. He was known for his recruiting at Arkansas and already has strong connections in the Memphis area. I hope we listen to Grunfield and go with Pearl.

VN Store

Back