Alontae Taylor opting out of the bowl

Shows a lack of character to abandon your teammates when this game could help the program move forward with a win. I wish him well in the future but its disappointing to see him not step up. The lack of loyalty will come back to bite him eventually.
And end up like the OM QB???

And end up like the OM QB???
The anxiety, hand ringing and flawed thought processes with some people are amazing on this forum. At what point should Matt Corral have stopped playing to avoid any injury or risk as the starting QB for OM? Lets pretend they were under 500 and not bowl eligible. Should he have skipped the last 2 regular season games? What possible difference is there in the risk? Its a risky and violent game all the time! Life is full of risk! How do you get the courage up to get in your car and drive every day? Corral is an intense competitor and will be fine. His draft stock will probably rise because of his attitude and the fact that he never quits. Even if God forbid his career was over he'd be successful in life because hes a leader. I wish he'd played at UT instead of OM.

Reactions: TennVols12
Shows a lack of character to abandon your teammates when this game could help the program move forward with a win. I wish him well in the future but its disappointing to see him not step up. The lack of loyalty will come back to bite him eventually.

@orange plasma not a VFL. Shows a complete lack
Of character to abandon the players that chose their home state school over offers from better programs, stuck with Tennessee through the Jones & Pruitt fiasco and a position change they weren’t recruited for, represented the team at the SEC level, stayed out of trouble and earned a degree, and played through injury over their career.

I wish this guy ill. I’d say his douchebaggery will eventually come back to bite him, but people like this have never experienced any success in their lives in the first place.

Reactions: Rocky Top Raby
I’ve said some really dumb things on this forum, but deeming a player not a “VFL” because he wants to sit out and enter the draft is stupid. These kids, work hard for us, just for us to sit here and criticize them from some desk chair. If we all were so great at football, we best be trying out for the team right?

Okay, I'm not going hard over like the OP (Alontae most definitely is a VFL), but let's not swing too far the other way, either.

Football is a team sport. Teammates depend on each other. To step away while they're still striving, that weakens the team (as we saw). To make a decision that is justified individually based on personal interests is a player's prerogative, but it's still a step away from the team.

Plenty of other fellas in their final year stuck with their teammates and played the bowl game. Alontae didn't.

And dispense with the "bowls are meaningless" distraction. They're not meaningless. Not to us. Just look at the explosion of discussion on these boards the past 48 hours for clear proof of that. They mean a lot to the fans (and the players and coaches care, too; they wanted to win).

I love the lad, really proud of him, even feel a bit of a vested interest in him as a fellow Coffee County citizen. I hugely appreciate all he did for the program over the past four years, and wish him the best of luck in the future.

But he didn't give his all for Tennessee. Almost all. Like 47/48ths of all. But not quite all. Some of his teammates did. He didn't, not quite. There is that distinction that Alontae must live with, because it was his choice.

Go Vols!
"...you want to be able to give good, concrete information to kids and have them make a really sound decision for themselves, and I feel Alontae has done that." "A guy that battled through injury the last three weeks of the season and really those are things that not very many people knew." Quotes from CJH regarding Alontae Taylor.

I am not going to throw shade at either A or at Cade. They have given a lot to this program. Time for them to reap some well earned rewards.
But I AM someone who loves debate and enjoys playing Devil’s Advocate. So here, just for fun, is a possible counter argument ….
College Football is WAR. You don’t “join” a team by gosh, you ENLIST. And when you sign on the dotted line, you are in the army now so to speak. You are available for deployment until your term of service ends and you are released. Do soldiers get to skip their last battle just because they might get wounded? Heck no! The crew of the Memphis Bell still had to fly their 25th mission and it wasn’t a milk run.
Flame away but realize the above is meant largely tongue in cheek so to speak.
But I do feel that college football is WAR fwiw 😉
And Alabama, Georgia, and Florida are CLEARLY the axis powers that must be crushed without mercy 😂

I am not going to throw shade at either A or at Cade. They have given a lot to this program. Time for them to reap some well earned rewards.
But I AM someone who loves debate and enjoys playing Devil’s Advocate. So here, just for fun, is a possible counter argument ….
College Football is WAR. You don’t “join” a team by gosh, you ENLIST. And when you sign on the dotted line, you are in the army now so to speak. You are available for deployment until your term of service ends and you are released. Do soldiers get to skip their last battle just because they might get wounded? Heck no! The crew of the Memphis Bell still had to fly their 25th mission and it wasn’t a milk run.
And Alabama, Georgia, and Florida are CLEARLY the axis powers that must be crushed without mercy 😂
Fun analogy 😄

"...you want to be able to give good, concrete information to kids and have them make a really sound decision for themselves, and I feel Alontae has done that." "A guy that battled through injury the last three weeks of the season and really those are things that not very many people knew." Quotes from CJH regarding Alontae Taylor.
If CJH was good with the decision, so am I.

Reactions: Mightyvol
The anxiety, hand ringing and flawed thought processes with some people are amazing on this forum. At what point should Matt Corral have stopped playing to avoid any injury or risk as the starting QB for OM? Lets pretend they were under 500 and not bowl eligible. Should he have skipped the last 2 regular season games? What possible difference is there in the risk? Its a risky and violent game all the time! Life is full of risk! How do you get the courage up to get in your car and drive every day? Corral is an intense competitor and will be fine. His draft stock will probably rise because of his attitude and the fact that he never quits. Even if God forbid his career was over he'd be successful in life because hes a leader. I wish he'd played at UT instead of OM.
You’re not the brightest bulb in the fixture bro

kellen winslow i'm a soldier - Google Search

I think many UT fans have forgetten what early round players look like. It's not your fault. It's been awhile since we've had top level talent. But Taylor AINT one. Sorry.
Who says you have to be early round to protect yourself? You're really stretching to prove how entitled to this kids life you feel.

If CJH was good with the decision, so am I.
Probably saying on the two hand touch by 3 players that led to a touchdown.... bet AT would have at least got him out of bounds. Being his side of the field and all

I think many UT fans have forgetten what early round players look like. It's not your fault. It's been awhile since we've had top level talent. But Taylor AINT one. Sorry.
His draft grade is 3rd to 5th. I never said he’s a 1st rounder.
There’s not one on the whole team right now

I can appreciate the financial aspect of this but I'm of the opinion that football players want to play football. In this sport, the risk of injury at any given time is always there.

Who says you have to be early round to protect yourself? You're really stretching to prove how entitled to this kids life you feel.
Why dont they ALL just opt out of their last game, season or 2 seasons to "protect" themselves? My point is... I'd have to be risking a CONSIDERABLE amount to miss my very last game ever as a Vol. But to each his own.

VN Store

Back