All time defensive line

my favorite quote of all time:

"Doug Atkins was like a storm rolling over a Kansas farmhouse. He came from all directions, and all there was to do was to tie down what you could, and hope he didn't take the roof."

I don’t remember the name of that narrator, but his deep booming voice, along with the classic sound of music chosen to accompany those old NFL films, really conveyed the message that Doug truly was an unstoppable force of nature.

Again, many of these old links are no longer operative, but the stories bear repeating. ‘tis like tribal elders telling their grandchildren of the days when gods walked the earth:

According to this story from Marvin West, Johnny Unitas wasn't exaggerating about throwing would-be blockers at the quarterback:

"If Bofah, being a North Carolina man, had researched Atkins’ magic moment as a Tennessee Volunteer, he would have gained understanding. It happened the first of November, 1952, Tar Heels at Shields-Watkins Field. Their fullback, leading a sweep, came at Doug with a cross-body block. Atkins caught this full-grown man with his hands and forearms and threw him, like a log, at the tailback. It was an awesome show of force.

. . . Great quarterback Johnny Unitas saw that same power play in the NFL: “One of Atkins’ favorite tricks was to throw a blocker at the quarterback, which does tend to disrupt the passing game.”

When Hall of Famers are talking about 1 player....Atkins....'nuff said....

That was going to be my next citation. This video clip was also included in at least one other old NFL Films production. Fast-forward to the 4:34 mark (). There are only about 4:00 of coverage pertaining to Doug, but they are truly vintage stuff. Perhaps the most impressive of which are the following quotes:

Pierson: “One time I was at the [Pro Football] Hall of Fame, and I got to have lunch with a bunch of Hall of Famers. There were about eight guys at the table. They talked about one person for 45 minutes--Doug Atkins. It was amazing to me that the legends were talking about one particular legend. So, he clearly was a legend among legends, which was fascinating to me.”

That qualifies as the supreme compliment to the greatness of Doug Atkins.

Bill Curry: “My first recollection of Doug Atkins was when we played the Bears in an exhibition game in 1965. And Skoronski was offensive captain. I really looked up to him. And so, when he came to me before the game, he said, “Look, here’s some things I want you to remember. Number 81 is Doug Atkins. He’s 6-9. He weighs 265 pounds. He said, “Don’t cut [block] him. And if he falls down, you help him up and say, “Nice play, Mr. Atkins.” Well, I started to laugh. Skoronski said, “Kid, this is not a joke, and I’m not kidding with you now. Because if you cut him on his knees, the first thing he’s gonna do is kill you. And then he’s gonna kill me.”

For a hilarious story of how Doug Atkins helped Bill Anderson, John Ward's old sidekick, make the Washington Redskins’ roster by deliberately making it look like Anderson was able to consistently block Atkins in a preseason game, tune in to the 5:30 mark of .

I love this story. I did alittle insurance business with Bill during the early 80s. He was a great guy, zero ego even though he was known state wide and probably one of the 10 most popular people in the state. Everyone knew Bill Anderson.

Reactions: MikeVol44
So what, do you realize that Atkins was listed among the best DL in college football AND NFL history....he dominated the position like no one else and was easily considered one of the best overall defensive players of all time in the sport pre-1990
Breaking a record or two is nice, but being completely dominant and recognized amongst your peers for decades is more impressive

Different game when he played.
Same tactics wouldn't work these days.
Jmo...

my favorite quote of all time:

"Doug Atkins was like a storm rolling over a Kansas farmhouse. He came from all directions, and all there was to do was to tie down what you could, and hope he didn't take the roof."

This is the clip you're referring to. I never tire of viewing it...

Reactions: MikeVol44
This is the clip you're referring to. I never tire of viewing it...

I'm like you....I could watch those old clips and listen to them talk all day long....

I remember the NFL of the 70s and 80s--

It's extremely hard for me to enjoy the NFL of today....that's why I love the college game so much.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I don't know that I disagree but Haynesworth started as a true freshman in front of the RS freshman Henderson. Haynesworth may have been more talented but Henderson was the harder worker

I don't know that I disagree but Haynesworth started as a true freshman in front of the RS freshman Henderson. Haynesworth may have been more talented but Henderson was the harder worker

I don’t recall Haynesworth starting in 1999. I know Walker did. I think Ratliff started when able. I do think Ellis played inside some also. Haynesworth was never the college player Henderson was. Not even close.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I don’t remember the name of that narrator, but his deep booming voice, along with the classic sound of music chosen to accompany those old NFL films, really conveyed the message that Doug truly was an unstoppable force of nature.

I believe you're thinking of Steve Sabol, the voice of NFL Films for many years.

We may have produced more great defensive linemen than any other position throughout the years. It's hard to pick four, but who would make up your line. I've got Atkins and Barnett at end and White and Henderson at tackle.
Hopefully someone adds STEVE Delong to this list. I guess I just did.

John Henderson, Albert Haynesworth, Reggie White, Leonard Little. Good luck blocking this group. Forget about it!!
Darwin Walker, Mark Hovanic, Derek Barnett, Mike Cofer, and Jesse Mahalona, in reserve.

Im sorry no one is putting a 190 lb lineman in as one of the greatest now. He was great for his era.
In aother 30-40 years, the same will be true for Haynesworth, Henderson, Atkins etc. Fact is he was the best in the Nation when he was at Tennessee and in the NFL while he was playing.

I'm sorry but anyone who doesn't put Atkins on 1st team has lost his mind. George Halas called him the best DL he'd ever seen. There are stories about him cleanly jumping over an OL trying to block him. One of three Vols on the NFL's first 100 years squad.

White was a bit of an enigma his first couple of years at UT before going all world his last year. That last year was special. But a friend of mine who played with him said he was such a head case his first three years that he drove Majors crazy.

I have to go with Bob Suffridge as well. I was hearing stories about him when I was young, 20 years after he played. 3 time All American. Was so quick off the line that he would be called offsides because the refs figured no one could be that fast only to be shown on film that he wasn't.

For the 4th guy, I have to pick Henderson. Couldn't be moved out of that middle. Barnett was a great speed rusher but Henderson changed what an offense could do.

For those talking about Leonard Little, you're right, biggest mistake Chavis ever made was moving Leonard from DE to middle LB his senior year. Was trying to help his draft status but Little was lost out there. They moved him back to DE mid-season and moved Al Wilson to MLB and the defense became elite.

I was in Navy and always deployed during football season in 79 and 80, I heard Lee Otis was special but never got to see him play.

No way Barnett should ever be above Doug Atkins. Atkins is one of the greatest players in NFL history.

Had he played in modern era his sack total would be much, much higher.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
In aother 30-40 years, the same will be true for Haynesworth, Henderson, Atkins etc. Fact is he was the best in the Nation when he was at Tennessee and in the NFL while he was playing.
No one with sense will be saying that. I doubt the next generation of lineman will be 7 feet 350 and fast. They are like Doug Atkins. They would be great in any era.

Yep. That was the best defensive front Ive ever seen at UT. In 09 or 10' someone asked Saban about the most talented SEC team he had ever seen. They were baiting him for a UF v AU v UA, who were all strong whenever it was. Saban said 01' Vols. I can't argue with him. Our secondary was average, but that team was stacked. 01' SECCG is the sickest loss in Vol history for me.
Me too. I unfortunately witnessed it first hand.

No one with sense will be saying that. I doubt the next generation of lineman will be 7 feet 350 and fast. They are like Doug Atkins. They would be great in any era.
Then your earlier point seems to take a different slant. People in the 30s never thought that players like Athins would ever exist. No one in the 40s and 50s thought that High school basketball would ever start in the NBA without playing in college players wjo weighed 300 pounds would play football without have heart attacks. No one with any Intelligents would hat players have been getting bigger, faster, and stronger through the years. It seems logical that that trend would continue in the future.In 30-40 years, people will discount the accomplishments of present day athletics the same as you have discounted the accomplishment of the players before your time.

VN Store

Back