All-Decade Team

DiderotsGhost

Time for a thought experiment. I was thinking about who would make a Vols "All-Decade" team for the 10's.

In spite of our run of futility this decade, it's surprising how good the offense on an All-Decade Team would be. What it really showcases to me is that we've had elite talent here, but we've squandered it.

Defense, on the other hand, is another story. It's very tough to come up with "All-Decade" guys for D. And it starts to become clear putting this together that defense has been a major issue this decade.

Who would make all decade team?

Quarterbacks
QB1: Josh Dobbs, 2016
QB2: Tyler Bray, 2012
QB3: Jarrett Guarantano, 2018

Don't think anyone would disagree that Josh Dobbs was the best QB we had this decade, but he could've been even better with some actual development. He excels more as a passer now with the Steelers, while he always struggled with consistency while here, partly because we had no real dedicated QB coach most of the time he was here. QB2 and QB3 is between Bray and JG; obviously Bray put up more prolific numbers, but he struggled with leadership, whereas JG is one of the least mistake-prone QBs in UT history.

Running Backs
RB1: Alvin Kamara, 2016
RB2: Ty Chandler, 2018
RB3: Jalen Hurd, 2015
RB4: John Kelly, 2017

Kamara was grossly underutilized while at UT, in spite of putting up some of the most impressive stats in UT history on a per play basis. Now, he's an NFL superstar. RB2 and RB3 is debatable, but I like Chandler at RB2. I think he's severely underrated primarily because he's played behind the worst run-blocking O-line in college football last season. Hurd is our short yardage back and John Kelly was a prolific playmaker in spite of lacking much in the way of help from the O-line.

Wide Receivers
WR1: Justin Hunter, 2012
WR2: Cordarelle Patterson, 2012
WR3: Marquez North, 2013 (pre-injury)
WR4: Marquez Callaway, 2018
WR5: Josh Malone, 2016
WR6: Jauan Jennings, 2016 / 2018

We've had a surprising amount of talent at WR; albeit between passing game and O-line struggles in the Butch Jones years, it has been somewhat squandered. Also injuries hampered Marquez North's career (injuries will be a running theme throughout this list).

Offensive Line
OT: Juwaun James, 2012
OG: Zach Fulton, 2012
OG: Dallas Thomas, 2012
OT: Trey Smith, 2017 (pre health problems)
C: James Stone
OG/OT: Chance Hall (pre-injury)
OG/OT: Jack Jones (pre-injury)

Once again, many had careers cut short by injuries. If this were a real team, would probably lack depth at OL, but the starting 5 would be good.

Defensive Line
DE: Derek Barnett, 2016
DE: Malik Jackson, 2011
DT: Shy Tuttle, 2016 (pre-injury)
DE: Kyle Phillips, 2018
DE: Cory Vereen

OK, this is admittedly the one position group where it's still tough to find much talent. We had Derek Barnett and Malik Jackson. Shy Tuttle, before his injuries, was also a beast. Those are the only 3 superstars / potential superstars I can name. Albeit, Kyle Phillips had a great senior campaign.

Linebackers
LB: Jalen Reeves-Maybin, 2016
LB: A.J. Johnson, 2014
OLB: Darrell Taylor, 2018
LB: Daniel Bituli, 2018
OLB / DE: Curt Maggitt
LB: Darrin Kirkland, 2015 (pre-injuries)

Taylor could either go as a DE in a 4-3 or an OLB in a 3-4. DK Jr looked like a potential 1st round draft pick as a Freshman, before all the injuries hampered his career.

Secondary
CB: Cam Sutton, 2016
S: Rashaan Gaulden, 2017

Struggling a bit on this one, as well. Sutton and Gaulden are obvious picks, but who else would you all throw out there?

Special Teams
P: Trevor Daniel
K: Michael Palardy?
KR/PR: Berry + Patterson

Who else would be on the list? Who am I missing

Overall

Feel like if you take our best players from the decade, we have an incredible offense. Our depth on defense is still pretty bad. Nevertheless, it does showcase what could've been. So many injuries and so much bad player development (under Butch); also throw in a little bad luck (e.g. Trey Smith). All that stuff has undermined us and led to poor results on the field.

Last edited:
While there are some decent choices, it is preliminary. There is still another season in the "10's" and I hope to see some of those names rise to the top. Perhaps it is hope, but time will tell.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Once again, Diderot's research & memory are spot-on. But for those of us who remember, the past decade has been a disappointment (how's that for understatement?):rolleyes:

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
No Curt Maggitt? I think I’d take him ahead of Kirkland mostly because he proved more over a longer period of time. Both were limited by injuries but Maggitt still brought more over his tenure from what I remember.

No Curt Maggitt? I think I’d take him ahead of Kirkland mostly because he proved more over a longer period of time. Both were limited by injuries but Maggitt still brought more over his tenure from what I remember.

Absolutely Curt Maggitt belongs on there; I just forgot him. I'm sure I'm forgetting others as well. Could only find rosters back to maybe 2015 or so.

Last edited:
OP, great off season post. It's a shame that Trey Smith is arguably the only "starter" listed who'd be on this year's team, and he's not playing. Possible that Bituli and Taylor would be on the "starters" list by the end of the year.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
Great post! The most revealing thing about that collection of talent for me is the flip side -- is that ALL we can show for that period of time? Holy smoke.

Imagine taking just about any other comparable slice of Vol history and doing the same research -- you'd likely have such an embarrassment of riches, the trick would be coming up with who you leave OFF such a list.

Great post! The most revealing thing about that collection of talent for me is the flip side -- is that ALL we can show for that period of time? Holy smoke.

Imagine taking just about any other comparable slice of Vol history and doing the same research -- you'd likely have such an embarrassment of riches, the trick would be coming up with who you leave OFF such a list.
No doubt. We're ranked second in SEC with I think 40 all time consensus all americans, and we're pretty much Punter-U as our claim to fame the last decade.

A couple thoughts....

I would want Justin Hunter as the No. 1 wide receiver. Better receiving stats in 2012 and did so while recovering from that awful ACL injury.

You only need one player from the last decade in the secondary. The great Rod Wilks.

Last edited:
Reactions: volanatic
Kirkland ahead of Reeves-Maybin, Johnson, Taylor and Maggit? I don't think so.

Based on impact, Hurd has to be the #1 RB. Based on highlights, Kamara.

TE: Rivera, Wolf

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
The QBs are vastly dependent on the type of offense you are talking about. A traditional pro style? Give me Bray over Dobbs. Dude had all the arm talent. An offense that needs a mobile QB? Dobbs. He was one of the best DT the SEC has ever seen.

I think that list actually illustrates the lack of talent we’ve had over a 10-year period. A team of Tennessee’s best from the’80s, ‘90s or even ‘00s would kill a team made up of those players.

VN Store

Back