All coaches from now on should keep a minimum of 4 legit QBs...

It doesn't matter.
If you have 3 guys, 2 of which transfer and 1 goes down, then you're hosed.
If you insist on having 4 guys, guess what? 3 will (can) transfer and 1 goes down, and then you're still hosed.
Take it to 5 guys.... same problem.... 4 will transfer, etc.

BTW, never forget that Kentucky beat our ass with a WR at QB.

Ain't skeered.

So you're saying ... we're hosed!!!

Reactions: tango
swain was saying this morning the future is having "your guy", and a freshman phenom as a back up because of the portal. If a qb is not getting playing time in the near future he will transfer out.

If that's true, then many QBs at other schools who aren't getting playing time will be on the market. Maybe, then, the strategy for the Vols is to be the school to which some QBs from lesser schools transfer each year. Let the best of the lower tiers, guys who think they're ready for the SEC, find their way up to us. They can serve as our squad of backups, the workable, legit guys that could go in and execute the playbook if our #1 and #2 both get knocked out of the action. It's not easy to transfer a second time, so we could feasibly have guys like that for 2 or 3 years. Always keep a stable of transfer-ins to offest the inevitable transfer-outs. (It would be like when the Stanford senior came to us and provided some insurance but never played.)

Actually I am expecting more teams to follow the South Carolina model this year. Have a GA that might have a year of eligibility and in emergency go to that guy. Instead of an extra scholarship being used on a player that majority of time never plays a meaningful down. Very few times ever does 3rd string ever play a down of consequence. So a 4th qb is typically viewed as too much. Other positions where subbing is frequent could use that scholarship more in coaches eyes.

With Bailey entering the portal, what that tells me is that it's highly possible he talked to Hooker and Milton to learn those two guys are in it for the long haul.
Because with 4 years of eligibility, there ought not be any reason for him to leave if Hooker and Milton aren't coming back.

That said, I sure hope Heupel really believes he's able to fix Milton because I think losing Bailey is a legit big time loss for us... just my opinion.

No 'legit' QB will ride pine in today's environment. its a different world

swain was saying this morning the future is having "your guy", and a freshman phenom as a back up because of the portal. If a qb is not getting playing time in the near future he will transfer out.
The portal has made stacking players obsolete. Unless you are Alabama and Georgia’s right now. They get to pick and choose recruits to the point that the majority of their players can play in the SEC no matter who leaves and who they plug in.

It's only a matter of time until, somewhere in CFB, two QBs who don't get the starting nod are going to decide it's "best for their future" to exit a team via the transfer portal. If Milton were to do that--NOTE: I DO NOT THINK HE IS GOING TO--but if he did, this would be the scenario I am saying is now possible. Then you have one and only one guy who can legitimately run the offense. There is no possiblity of replacing the two transfers in-season. So if QB1 goes down, you basically cannot play the game anymore. Two disgruntled QBs--NOTE: THIS IS NOT MILTON AND BAILEY--could even conspire to ruin their team, if they were so inclined. So I think all CFB coaches should consider keeping a minimum of 4 viable QBs on the roster from now on.

Am I right about that, or is the "double transfer" scenario too unlikely for coaches to need to cover themselves for that eventuality?
I think if you transfer during the year you should have to sit out a year or don't let someone enter the portal till the season is over.

Reactions: volinthenorth
My personal opinion is that Bailey felt like he was never going to get an opportunity to get on the field here, and if he wants to be in the mix for a starting role, he had to move on. This is the one thing I haven't liked about Heupel. When Hooker got injured against Ole Miss and he sent Milton in, I think that was probably when Bailey made the decision to transfer. I would have liked to see Bailey get the chance to at least make the throw instead of running out of bounds when there was no time on the clock like Milton did.
Heupel must really not like Bailey for some reason. You have to really not like somebody to put Milton in the game over them.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa

VN Store

Back