Alexis Hornbuckle

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
June 02, 2004
Mitch Vingle

THE CRUEL jokes surfaced almost immediately.

South Charleston basketball star Alexis Hornbuckle, went one, is sure to lead Tennessee in steals next season.

Lame. And Hornbuckle’s situation is far from amusing.

After lifting the consciousness of girls high school basketball in West Virginia, after mesmerizing us on the court, after thrilling kids who met her, Hornbuckle has been charged with shoplifting. She is scheduled to appear in Nitro Municipal Court on June 21.

OK, so, sure, the charge is a misdemeanor. Sure, she’s an 18-year-old kid.

Hornbuckle, though, is not your ordinary 18-year-old. Not in these parts. If the charges are true, the situation is sad.

Kids. Think kids.

The only good news for Hornbuckle is reaction from legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summit. On Tuesday, the coach told yours truly Hornbuckle’s spot on the Volunteers’ team is secure.

“I talked to [Hornbuckle on Monday],’’ Summit said. “I talked to her parents. I know this is something the Hornbuckle family will handle.

“At the appropriate time, we’ll revisit this. But as far as her future at Tennessee, I don’t see anything changing there.’’

http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/2004060128

Yet another example of the big bucks world of women's basketball putting money ahead of morals.

If it was a UT men's basketball recruit do you really think there'd be this much fuss?

I don't about that, man. I mean, how often do we hear about girls' recruits getting into trouble like this? Seems more like an isolated incident than the norm.

If anybody on this earth can set a troubled teen on the right path, it's Pat Summitt. If I were her parents, I'd be pushing her out the door to UT and get her under Pat's wing ASAP - funny how most of our women grad's go on to productive professional careers - far more so than our men's basketball or football programs...

Off topic: Anyone heard anything about Anthony Sessions? He was a former LB at UT, was picked up by ATL (I think), traded to the Packers but isn't currently showing on their depth chart on NFL.com. Just curious....

Originally posted by Gatorhater@Jun 2, 2004 4:27 PM
If anybody on this earth can set a troubled teen on the right path, it's Pat Summitt. If I were her parents, I'd be pushing her out the door to UT and get her under Pat's wing ASAP - funny how most of our women grad's go on to productive professional careers - far more so than our men's basketball or football programs...

Off topic: Anyone heard anything about Anthony Sessions? He was a former LB at UT, was picked up by ATL (I think), traded to the Packers but isn't currently showing on their depth chart on NFL.com. Just curious....

CFL

LINK

VN Store

Back