Alex Golesh UT OC - What were you thinking?????

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* We had an early lead of 7-0
* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.

That is true. Milton is accurate in slants, close passes, we could have thrown short passes, run the ball and we would have won. Our receivers could have gotten 1st downs and broke tackles. We could have exhausted Pitt's defense.

And here I thought he dialed up some excellent play calls with multiple receivers open for TDs on each series. It's clearly insane for him to think that his QB might complete a minimum of 1 out of 3. The one to Tillman was a pass most HS QBs could complete.

Probably never have been so mad at my curved 55" TV than I was the other day FFing through the game.

* It's a known fact that QB Milton, who has a rocket of an arm, tends to over throw his receivers
* So, instead of grinding it out and getting first downs w short passes and runs - which in terms keeps our D on the sidelines resting, Coach Golesh attempts an air raid on the Pitt secondary and wants to run the score up
* It doesn't work on one series, so hey, let's try another series of 3 and out and well, how about yet even another. Why not? After all, I am the UT OC and I know what I'm doing
* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
* I don't blame Milton for one second for his errant throws because the coaching staff knew that going into the game. Of course I wish the kid was accurate, but he's a Hairball UM reject. Nuff said.

We had the chance to set the pace early in this game and keep momentum on our sides. Instead, the fans and players are disappointed w Milton's long tosses when all the time, it's the guy calling these repetitive plays that deserves the blame.

Coach Golesh - Please use the talent you have on the team properly. I know other teams might be better and or have more scholarship players, so that makes your job, IMO, the single most important job every Saturday afternoon. We have good kids who want to win and deserve to win but, can only do so with proper play calling. And personally, all I want is a W at the end of the game. I don't need a blow out to satisfy my fragile ego.

First downs, not touchdowns, is a philosophy most successful football teams adhere to as their MO. Grind it out, move the yard sticks, wear down their defense, control the clock and you will score points. And your fresh as a daisy defense will thank you by stopping their offense.

Let's not forget lining up in the shotgun when its 4th and 3 inches.......🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!
Milton is nothing if he can't hit throws over the top. He had apparently been doing it with consistency in practice. That's what they "knew" going into the game. I do not blame them for not giving up after only one bad game. I'm not sure that two in a row with essentially no "hits" can be overlooked. For two games now he has not executed in games. That's still a coaching decision. It falls mostly on Heupel. But the gameplan was based on what Milton had shown in practice and the weaknesses of Pitt. Had he hit 50% of those deep shots... the Vols would have won by multiple scores. They could have easily been up 21-0 in the first quarter and forced Pitt out of their gameplan.

If they're going to manage the game with the shorter stuff like you suggest then it is Hooker or possibly Bailey.

Nothing wrong with the play calls. If executed, UT blows Pitt out. I'm not "blaming" Milton so much as recognizing that he isn't showing the accuracy in games that he's apparently shown in practice. Maybe he's just too amped up in games... but he does show signs of forgetting his coaching.

You're criticizing a strategy that would have blown a good team off the field if Milton had hit wide open receivers. Other than continuing to play him... that's not on the coach.

We're going to have to learn to live with that. Lining up under center is not practiced and it is not in the playbook. Our QBs have not touched the hiney of a center in the last 9 months.

If true, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

He schemed our WR's behind their secondary all day long. Not sure why we'd want to stop that.

Shall we just invite all 11 defenders up to the LOS?
This. Supposedly he is making these throws in practice. I can't believe I'm having to ask this in a 2nd thread but, are you saying that even though we consistently have WRs running freely behind the secondary , that we should stop trying to run those plays instead of either hitting it or finding someone who can? The goal is to score more points than the other team. If we have a WR open downfield, especially for a TD, that QB better be slinging it 10 times out of 10.

I just don't understand people with this mentality that think we should just stop throwing deep balls because Milton can't throw them. Thats horseshit.

They were the right calls....starting RB out starting Center out....hit a couple of those for scores and it opens the run game up. Other than the qb scrambles the run game did absolutely nothing

Reactions: 08Vol
Agree with the assessment, not the sentiment and tone.

Sure take your shots to spread the field. Sure keep the DBs honest and have a streaking rout regularly. But we could have RPOed and dumped it off all the way to the bank that first quarter.

OC may have schemed well initially, but he didn't adjust to the game situations.

Reactions: Volador
Agree with the assessment, not the sentiment and tone.

Sure take your shots to spread the field. Sure keep the DBs honest and have a streaking rout regularly. But we could have RPOed and dumped it off all the way to the bank that first quarter.

OC may have schemed well initially, but he didn't adjust to the game situations.

Or we could have hit 3 go routes in succession and wiped the floor with Pitt, put the nation on notice, be garnering massive media hype, and feel like we have a chance in the swamp next week.

Nah.....check it down, our QB is trash.

I just can't understand this line of thinking.

Volador - I think you're getting ahead of yourself. We're still trying to determine if our QB can handle the offense we're creating here. We don't have a ton of time to figure that out before we get into SEC play. If we keep forcing the issue week 4 with Milton and we're in a dog fight with Florida, I would be mad. Right now, we should be in a wait and see approach.

Reactions: VAVol85
I agree to a degree in playing to your talent but at some point you have to trust the kid to run your offense or get someone else that can. I had issue with a few play calls but if Milton is your guy he has to execute. Offense ran better with hooker but you can see the turnovers which probably is why he was second string. Hopefully we get to see Bailey as well this weekend or likely he’s headed to the portal. I cannot imagine how the kid is so terrible that he hasn’t been able to get significant time against the likes of Milton, Hooker, JG, Strout, Maurer the last two years.

Reactions: Tnslim1
Grind it out, wear down the defense, control the clock. Maybe we bring Pruitt back.....

Reactions: 08Vol
Or we could have hit 3 go routes in succession and wiped the floor with Pitt, put the nation on notice, be garnering massive media hype, and feel like we have a chance in the swamp next week.

Nah.....check it down, our QB is trash.

I just can't understand this line of thinking.

Or over throw badly and prove to the nation that our QB "is trash," as you might say. He can't make the throws and the misses are BAD.

Call me crazy, but the coaches should know this already. Why think Milton will miraculously improve over night?

Wrong. This isn't the 90s anymore. Fast pace explosive offenses are how the game is played now. You can look at Bama as a reference for that.

Expecting college offenses to put together sustained 15 play drives without mistakes is not a recipe for success. Pruitt tried exactly that for three years and it did not work. Eventually penalties kill your drive or you turn the ball over. Put your skill players in space and try to get big chunk plays. All the best offenses in the country play like that.

* WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Seriously Clark ....... it's so simple that even a cave man could get it. Have you ever played any organized football ? Coach Golesh was calling passing plays and routes with multiple options - all or most of which are designed to be short or mid ranged routes with different receivers running different routes.
Much like the back yard quarterbacks we all are familiar with - if the quarterback doesn't see the open receivers in short and mid range routes open because he doesn't go through his progressions, doesn't anticipate or doesn't have good field vision or tends to panic or is in love with his arm strength, then he may heave it deep. So it is with Mr. Milton. I know this because in the first game he literally would stand back in the pocket and - again like the kid in the backyard - would wave to his receivers to break off their routes and go deep. I know that he did it at least two or three times. I have never ever seen that before in a college game. Have seen it often in the backyard in pickup games. Your complaints are misdirected imho.

VN Store

Back