Alcohol sales on Tennessee public campuses and sports venues (merged)

Restaurants have bartenders who know to stop serving
Well, no that's not always true either. How many times have you heard of restaurants being sued for serving too much? But that wasn't the argument back a few pages. The argument was they didn't want to take kids around people drinking. Back to your point, what security measures have been released to keep people from drinking too much at Neyland? None that I know of. So how do we know precautions won't be in place? We don't.

Maybe if they start selling overpriced alcohol they could lower the ticket prices finally?

e8a.gif

If only that would happen; if only.

I drink usually once a week. You know when I drink? Usually, during Tennessee sports. You don't have to be an alcoholic or fein to wanna enjoy a cold one during a sporting event.

Never once said that people who drink were alcoholics, but the ones who go to a game an drink need to be responsible and a lot of the people I see at the games are not. And they don't just enjoy a cold ONE ...

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
True. And it’s pro football with fans that can be different than college. But still....

But I would like a few cold ones on a September Saturday in Neyland.
I now understand that alcohol will not be sold at athletic events; only at events such as concerts tractor pulls etc. Not much of a change except it is on State/University property.

There’s more at play than what you all think about football games.....Many venues across the state can’t book major concerts and entertainers because of no alcohol sales. Many big acts have concessions % cuts and simply won’t book places without alcohol. Ask Kenny Cheney why he won’t play his hometown! And you can go on down the list. Knoxville particularly suffers as a community because many acts drive through town and don’t stop! Additionally, the city amusement tax is still one of the highest in the country and needs to be lowered to competitive levels.

That is the heart of the matter. This could be great news for Knoxville.

People are going to sneak in what they want if they want it that bad. I always brought in mini bottles or split a pint with people I went to the game with. When we played in Jax for the Gator Bowl I didn’t because I knew they served in the stadium. then you realize it’s not exactly an easy process to get up from your seat, try not to step on people, disrupt people watching and try not to spill beer while getting back to your seat. Therefor, I consumed less at much lower percentages of alcohol because not only was it not worth it to drink hot expensive crappy beer, but the whole process takes forever and you miss the game.

There is nothing bad that comes from alcohol sales during the game. If anything, the fact that fans can drink during the game might mean that less people will get hammered before the game knowing that they can sip a drink during the game. Not only that, but bar tenders can still cut patrons off if they are clearly too drunk. There may be some incidents occur that point to alcohol as the contributing factor, but if it was that impactful there would be bans instituted at other sporting events based on issues that stem from alcohol at games.

It’s funny to see most of the arguments for selling alcohol are also true of drugs in general. “They’re going to do it anyway.” Well, it’s true. I wonder how many see that link.

Reactions: Volfan76
Like Hawkeye alluded to, this isn't going to make a great deal of difference for football due to the SEC rules on alcohol for general admission sections, unless UT goes and reclassifies a big chunk of Neyland as club seating. There are students every single home game who never even make it into the stadium on game day, because they pounded down a bunch of drinks before heading over, and UTPD weeds them out before they even get to the gate when they're too tanked to walk straight. This won't change that. It could, but this change won't directly affect the group that's probably most apt to binge drink because they want to try to keep a buzz for four hours until they can have another drink. If anything, it'll mean a marginal dip in the number of people sneaking flasks in.

I have been to several Preds games, I have never seen a fan altercation or anyone standing out being noticeably a drunk or threat. Many kids and families at the hockey games. I have been to pro football games and baseball games, I haven't noticed any big difference except to say it does seem baseball fans drink the most. But I think that has more to do with warmer temps in summertime games, makes one more thirsty. I don't see beer changing anything. 9 times out of 10 if a drunk starts fighting it's whiskey that he brought in or drank prior to the game. GBO!

Don't project your inability to drink responsibly onto the rest of the fanbase.
I don't drink at all. I don't oppose it, but twice this past year I had somebody that had gotten drunk outside the stadium and then threw up inside not 15 feet my my seats. I shouldn't have to deal with their inability to drink. I can only imagine how it would be if they sold beer inside the stadium.

I agree with the posters that say the $7-9 per beer price tends to slow down consumption. I think when I go to the ballpark and buy beer I may have 1 or 2. It starts getting expensive rather quickly.

NFL games are the worst. No way I would take my kid there. Grown men and women fist fighting. Such a nurturing environment. Lol

I have never seen this at an NFL game, but of course I've never been to one up north.

Last edited:
Meh. Sell high priced beer during the first 3 quarters rather than have everyone binge drink before the game? Flip a dang coin. Nothing will change except revenue.

VN Store

Back