Alcohol sales on Tennessee public campuses and sports venues (merged)

You have them confused with Methodists.
Nope. Long story short.

Old Baptist preacher was leaving the church and the new preacher was going to preach his first sermon. The old preacher said "if you get nervous there is a bottle of Jack in the pulpit, just lean down and take a swig and you'll be fine."

Precher starts preaching and several times he leaned down and took a swig.....

After the service he was at the door shaking everyone's hand. The old preacher made his way to the door and the new preacher asked him if he enjoyed his sermon. The old preacher said "it was fine except the way I remember, David killed Goliath with a slingshot, he didn't beat the chit out of him with a baseball bat."

I’ve been to Soldier Field to see the Bears a number of times. A much smaller stadium than Neyland and full of out of control obnoxious fans.

Bad idea.

The SEC still bans alcohol sales for general admission I think. If someone knows differently please let me know. This still will be good revenue for concerts, etc. I am OK with it if the revenue goes to lowering the cost of tuition.

Lol. It won’t.

I’ve never understood wanting to get hammered for games (all jokes about losing aside). Even in my college drinking days I hated going to games drunk or near drunk.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
This is obviously a sensitive subject for many, I get that. People don't necessarily want to take their children around people drinking, I get that also. I've noticed no mention of the pot smoking, yet we concern ourselves with taking children where alcohol is consumed. I rarely go to a game in which I don't see someone smoking pot. I generally use these experiences as a teaching tool for my children. "See that person, you don't want to be that person," it's the drunk stupid coming out in them."

For me, personally, I take more issue with my kids watching so many cheat the system and pull liquor bottles out of their pant leg than I do them seeing someone purchase beer. Agree, disagree, I don't care. But as a parent, I would rather my college kid drink at the game instead of the marathon drinking like they do beforehand and get in their cars or walk to the stadium. It's unfortunate really that people do this, but yes, both young and old alike do it.

I don't for one minute think that my Lord has a problem with a person going and grabbing a ice cold beer or two on a hot day and enjoying it. Remember folks, overindulgence of any kind whether it be beer or food is a sin. If people are going to drink, might as well sale beer and get some revenue from it. . But let me tell you something, not many people are going to pay 7-10 dollars a beer for too many. So, those other folks will still sneak their liquor in. I would imagine, if you're honest with yourselves, the atmosphere will be no different in the stadium a year from now....not on expensive beer.

**Edit* I bet you folks saying you wouldn't want to take your kids to a game if selling beer, don't mind taking your children to O'Charley's, Olive Garden, or Longhorns to eat!

Restaurants have bartenders who know to stop serving

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
There’s more at play than what you all think about football games.....Many venues across the state can’t book major concerts and entertainers because of no alcohol sales. Many big acts have concessions % cuts and simply won’t book places without alcohol. Ask Kenny Cheney why he won’t play his hometown! And you can go on down the list. Knoxville particularly suffers as a community because many acts drive through town and don’t stop! Additionally, the city amusement tax is still one of the highest in the country and needs to be lowered to competitive levels.

Last edited:
All this talk of beer, who drinks beer at a UT game? Jim and Jack have always accompanied me by way of flask. It’s not going to change a thing, those that want to drink will. Will create more jobs for additional security at first which they’ll pay for out of the beer sales.

How about an drug free section and a drug acceptable section? I really like being able to take my kids and family to the games. But increasingly the atmosphere is getting more and more vile and confrontational. Selling mind altering substances will increase the negative behavior by some. Although I doubt usage would increase greatly from current levels.

What if 1/3 of the stadium was strictly (read seriously) non-narcotic, non-alcoholic, as in certain ejection / prosecution for public drunkenness or influence. While the other 2/3 of the stadium was open for drug usage in it's various forms with current controls and even sales.

Thoughts?

So, I'm not sure where you're getting this narcotics section in your head. Unless, you mean prescription drugs (which definitely is a national crisis but not really for UT games). I really hope you're not classifying marijuana as a narcotic. If anything it would make a calmer fan base haha (joking but serious).

Alcohol is definitely a cause for bad behavior at games but I think majority of that is because of the binge drinking culture. Most people that drink think "Oh well I have to drink as much as I can because I can't get it at the game."

I wouldn't be opposed to having sections that have are "Alcohol-Free" or "Alcohol-Friendly." I just don't see your drug free section happening because technically, you're not suppose to be doing them.

Reactions: livefaith
There’s more at play than what you all think about football games.....Many venues across the state can’t book major concerts and entertainers because of no alcohol sales. Many big acts have concessions % cuts and simply won’t book places without alcohol. Ask Kenny Cheney why he won’t play his hometown!And you can go on down the list. Knoxville particularly suffers as a community because many acts drive through town and don’t stop! Additionally, the city amusement tax is still one of the highest in the country and needs to be lowered to competitive levels.

Well in fairness, you’d have to be drunk out of your mind to enjoy Kenny Chesney.

If only the kids wouldn’t be negatively effected by the sale of alcohol in the stadium they could enjoy a wholesome experience of teamwork, pageantry and sportsmanship ....
#itjustmeansmore
7468090E-7267-4C05-83D5-5480908971AD.jpeg

How about an drug free section and a drug acceptable section? I really like being able to take my kids and family to the games. But increasingly the atmosphere is getting more and more vile and confrontational. Selling mind altering substances will increase the negative behavior by some. Although I doubt usage would increase greatly from current levels.

What if 1/3 of the stadium was strictly (read seriously) non-narcotic, non-alcoholic, as in certain ejection / prosecution for public drunkenness or influence. While the other 2/3 of the stadium was open for drug usage in it's various forms with current controls and even sales.

Thoughts?

I think you either need to stop posting drunk..... or start.

VN Store

Back