Alabama tracking students locations in the stadium.

Good. I'm sick of seeing empty seats in the student section while there is a waiting list for tickets.

Mixed feelings on this.

Students have a points system that includes things like grades, staying at game whole time, etc. I believe the more points you get the more your chances improve for things like bowl tickets. So you have a type of currency created and a method of earning it.

That said, it seems a little big brotherish. And it is Bama. So it is easy to dislike..

Reactions: VolNExile
I'm just guessing here but I'd say the same people who think this is a great idea would consider it a hell of an intrusion if some quasi-government agency or some commercial enterprise was tracking them. (Last I heard UA is a state university, despite the fact that over half of its students now come from out of state as a result of the university's relentless push for out-of-state tuition revenue).

And don't give me that "I paid for my tickets, the students didn't, ergo it's ok to track them" nonsense. I'm certain they pay student activity fees, the bulk of which probably go to the athletic department, and if they're like UT, they also have to pay for the tickets, albeit it a dramatically reduced rate.

And I've read stories about the number of people laid out in the concourses of that stadium as a result of last Saturday's heat.

This is ridiculous. CNS's absolute power on that campus and in the entire state of bammer is proof of the old adage: "Power Corrupts, and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely."

I'm just guessing here but I'd say the same people who think this is a great idea would consider it a hell of an intrusion if some quasi-government agency or some commercial enterprise was tracking them. (Last I heard UA is a state university, despite the fact that over half of its students now come from out of state as a result of the university's relentless push for out-of-state tuition revenue).

And don't give me that "I paid for my tickets, the students didn't, ergo it's ok to track them" nonsense. I'm certain they pay student activity fees, the bulk of which probably go to the athletic department, and if they're like UT, they also have to pay for the tickets, albeit it a dramatically reduced rate.

And I've read stories about the number of people laid out in the concourses of that stadium as a result of last Saturday's heat.

This is ridiculous. CNS's absolute power on that campus and in the entire state of bammer is proof of the old adage: "Power Corrupts, and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely."

Don't think I am a fan of this, but to play devil's advocate, no one can be forced to use the app.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Pretty cool with the point system but easily bypassed. GPS spoofers are simple to install and use.

Google has been tracking me for years. Speaking of things that are absolute.

True. But other than bombarding you with ads and aggregating your data, does Google penalize you for leaving a football game when your team is ahead by 60 points and it's over 100 degrees.

Last edited:
True. But other than bombarding you with ads and aggregating your data, does Google penalize you for leaving a football game when your team is ahead by 60 points and it's over 100 degrees.

Actually, since I got my VPN things are very quiet on the homefront. And kids have more ideas on how to beat the system with technology than anything I could conjure up on my own. I seriously doubt they are that concerned about those penalties.

South Carolina does a similar thing with the points, students must attend so many other sporting events and the like to obtain football tickets. Tracking them however they don't do.

When I was a kid, the ushers at Vandy would let people through the gates for free after halftime. Bama could let someone in for free or a discount each time someone leaves the stadium. One thing I like about FCS games, at least at my alma mater, is you can leave and reenter on the same ticket.

VN Store

Back