Alabama sort of got screwed with the traveling call

I'd be pi$$ed if I was Bama. They let players do that the entire game. Unfortunately, today's game is molded by players like LeBron, Harden, Durant, etc who play without fundamentals and travel, charge, carry at will. These players mold their game after their idols and it cost Bama today. Dude shuffled his feet when he caught the ball. It was a walk, although it is rarely called.

I say it's a make up call for that bogus 4th foul they called on Grant that wiped off a TN bucket and possible free throw and ended up with a Bama bucket.
Well this is the college game where walking is walking. Bottom line the guy walked, actually he took 3 quick steps and nearly a 4th before he bounced the ball. They were quick tiny steps but he took them. Just because the NBA let's players take 4 steps doesn't mean that college should do the same. There was many bad calls in that game, a TON worse than the walking call which was the correct call at the end of the game. Williams got called for a foul for putting his shoulder into a guy and he never touched him and it should have been a 3 point play chance, and that is just one example. Not directing this at you by the way, just calling out those that say it shouldn't have been called. It absolutely should have been called, it's traveling and it was the correct call. GBO!!!!

Imagine if Gump basketball got away with what the Gump football team does. Gumps hold and tackle on the OL almost every play. Never called.

The equivalent in basketball would be just picking up your dribble, tucking the ball under your arm and running down the court, knocking everyone down in your path. Then after you score, the other team gets called for reaching in.

And the dutiful CBS announcers would applaud the flawless fundamentals of the play.

You said that right about today's game, it is street ball now. When I played they called palming the ball which is never called anymore and traveling. When a charge was called the player had to be set and not just jump in front of the ball carrier suddenly. Officiating has gotten too loose.
You say officiating has gotten too loose, but I heard many others complain about officiating being too harsh at the beginning of the season. We can't have it both ways. The officiating crew needs to establish guidelines and abide by those as thoroughly as possible, Imo.

It was a blatant travel. The Vols would have been royally not sort of screwed if it hadn't been called.

Clearly a walk even in real time. He caught the ball with his right foot on the ground and left in the air. Then put down left foot and lifted right foot. So worst case left foot is pivot foot and has to stay down until dribble. Then he lifts left foot and puts down right foot before dribble. So he changed pivot feet. Then he does it again before dribble. Picks up right and puts down left. Then drops ball out of his hands for dribble. He changed pivot foot not once, but twice.

So what's you're saying is "he's ready for the NBA".

You say officiating has gotten too loose, but I heard many others complain about officiating being too harsh at the beginning of the season. We can't have it both ways. The officiating crew needs to establish guidelines and abide by those as thoroughly as possible, Imo.
No I said they call plays different than they used to. They used to call a charge only if the defensive player was set (as in the spot for more than a split second). They used to call palming the ball and now that is an unusual call but they find frivolous calls now depending on who they want to win.

No I said they call plays different than they used to. They used to call a charge only if the defensive player was set (as in the spot for more than a split second). They used to call palming the ball and now that is an unusual call but they find frivolous calls now depending on who they want to win.
Although I do agree with you on the matter of officiating Crews leaning one way or the other. You did say " officiating has gotten too loose". Regardless, officiating Crews need to establish specific guidelines pertaining to the rule books and strictly abide by them, as closely as possible.

Although I do agree with you on the matter of officiating Crews leaning one way or the other. You did say " officiating has gotten too loose". Regardless, officiating Crews need to establish specific guidelines pertaining to the rule books and strictly abide by them, as closely as possible.
I agree with this totally and you basically said what I was trying to say.

Reactions: TennMan101
I would have to believe that the bammers complaining about the walk being called also complained about the charge called on Williams where he scored and would have gone to the line for a 3 pt play. Also, next time down the court Bowden got fouled (which was called) but they took the basket away. The Williams call was obviously wrong, but at least you could make an argument that Bowden was not in the act of shooting.

VN Store

Back