Alabama football: At least five players have reportedly tested positive for the coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas now reportedly has all 13 of those players that tested positive in self-quarantine, and they are all asymptomatic as of the time of the report.

Perspective folks
Here's the thing....this just reaffirms what I've been saying all along. The infection rate is going to be much much higher than we know, because of asymptomatic people who never got tested. Much to do about not much

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Source: 23 Clemson football players now positive

Starting to think we won’t see football in the fall. Would love to see the symptomatic/asymptomatic numbers on these players that are testing positive across the country.

None of these kids are sick, though. Cases can skyrocket all they'd like, which is a given considering relaxed isolation policies, but precipitous drops in hospitalizations and casualties are the most relevant data points.

No fall sports (football) means no winter sports (the NCAA tournament), and I can promise you that the NCAA and its member institutions aren't about to lose out on revenue for something that simply isn't negatively affecting the athletes responsible for said revenue generation.

Statistics such as that need to be interpreted along with how many more people are being tested. It's easier to find something when your looking for it.

That's absolutely true. A more important number is that hospitalizations in TN are on the rise. The good news, for now, is that deaths haven't risen along with the positive tests and hospitalizations. I'm sure we all hope that continues to be the case.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
Source: 23 Clemson football players now positive

Starting to think we won’t see football in the fall. Would love to see the symptomatic/asymptomatic numbers on these players that are testing positive across the country.

So would I. I'm unsure we can believe the numbers that are publicly released. When they are released as many programs have decided to conceal their COVID problems.

It's simple. Greed v.s human concerns. Ages old.

Be intersting to know what percentage of all these athletes that are testing positive are asymptomatic. Willing to bet its a very high percentage. Wouldn't even know they had it were they not required to be tested.

Dr Fauci! The man who said in Dec this would be one of worst flu seasons ever. ? The man who said in the second half of Jan. that we don't need to worry about the coronavirus. ? The man who said in March not to wear a mask. ? The man who then said to wear a mask. ? This guy is not someone you want to place your bets

Now, I come down in the reopening side of this debate, but this situation is fluid. Fauci has done nothing that did not appear supported by the available facts at the time. I think, just like C’lay, that Fauci has no problem developing an inconsistent position based on changing facts as they come available.

That’s usually a sign of an intelligent and mature mind. It makes him a particularly valuable member of the administration at present.

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds; adored by little statesmen, philosophers, and divines.”

So would I. I'm unsure we can believe the numbers that are publicly released. When they are released as many programs have decided to conceal their COVID problems.

It's simple. Greed v.s human concerns. Ages old.

With the latest news this past week, college football, the NFL, and the NBA may be much more difficult to play this fall after all. How do you protect the players, refs, not to mention their families, other college students and their families if an outbreak starts amongst the teams?? MLB would be the most playable but even it would need changes to ensure players were protected. None of the games could have more than a precious few fans if they are played. Six foot social distancing ialong with masks means no more than 15 to 20,000 in Neyland. I’m not sure how some figure 50-70k at our games. You could get that with maybe 1-2 foot distancing. European soccer is being played right now with no fans. Sounds like NASCAR is going to try and get 20% of Bristol filled with fans for the all star race. That’s about 30,000 people at a track which holds 150,000. That is doable as people don’t get as tight knit in racing like football games

With the latest news this past week, college football, the NFL, and the NBA may be much more difficult to play this fall after all. How do you protect the players, refs, not to mention their families, other college students and their families if an outbreak starts amongst the teams?? MLB would be the most playable but even it would need changes to ensure players were protected. None of the games could have more than a precious few fans if they are played. Six foot social distancing ialong with masks means no more than 15 to 20,000 in Neyland. I’m not sure how some figure 50-70k at our games. You could get that with maybe 1-2 foot distancing. European soccer is being played right now with no fans. Sounds like NASCAR is going to try and get 20% of Bristol filled with fans for the all star race. That’s about 30,000 people at a track which holds 150,000. That is doable as people don’t get as tight knit in racing like football games

Your point that different scenarios (teams, conferences, geolocations et al) require different solutions is absolutely correct. It also adds to the potential set of problems.

Let's say mid-level ACC team sees Clemson on their schedule early. They know they are going to get tromped, the payday is low due to attendance restrictions. It's mid-July, COVID is not under control. Clemson has a 30s count of infected players.

Whose going to want to play this game? Dabo? Why chance it? Mid-level blowout team?

Mess.

There are still reasons to be concerned with how, and if, college football can be played

"What happens when the season opener rolls around and a player tests positive? How do programs handle the disclosure of that information? How do they prevent the spread of the virus after the fact, knowing full well that a player might have spread it during practice?

And what happens if — or when — a player goes to the hospital with coronavirus?"

Me & my brother in law tested positive big whoop. He’s been in his garage all day wrkin. I’ve been doin yard wrk all day. Testing positive means squat. This is real talk

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Me & my brother in law tested positive big whoop. He’s been in his garage all day wrkin. I’ve been doin yard wrk all day. Testing positive means squat. This is real talk

My neighbor down the street tested positive, went to work, felt fine. Got feeling a little worse, not much, got tested. positive.

A week later. DEAD.

Only a fool writes off this virus, one is dead that I know of.

Reactions: ohhbother

Oh, and btw, thanks for the compassion you are showing to your fellow workers as you wear your masks going back to work.

Uh-huh.

My neighbor down the street tested positive, went to work, felt fine. Got feeling a little worse, not much, got tested. positive.

A week later. DEAD.

Only a fool writes off this virus, one is dead that I know of.

Lol you're so fos, you literally have set a record for being affiliated with the most people who have had the absolute worse cases or rona, doctors who fight rona, people who have died from rona, nurses who work in the worst hit hospital in the us...... The list of lies you've told goes on and on

College football comes with too high a cost

How dangerous of a game are they playing?

The pros are going to make it happen, because they exist to make money.

No play, no pay.

But college football will not be college football this season. If there even is a season.

You can roll into H-E-B with masks off (and blinders on) all you like, for now, but do not expect to join thousands in a college football stadium in early September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back