Alabama DC Tosh Lupoi to Cleveland

In all seriousness that’s gotta hurt them pretty badly. #1 recruiter in 247 ratings and locked up a lot of talent

I know he demands a lot but does it seem like Bama has become more of a pit stop than a place we’re coaches want to stay?

We've had a few last a long time. Burton Burns would be the obvious example. Heck, Smart was around for 9 years and turned down multiple jobs. In many cases we've brought in guys who've been head coaches or coordinators and simply need an image refresh. It sucks to churn at such a high rate, but it's much better to have your coaches be wanted than the alternative.

We've had a few last a long time. Burton Burns would be the obvious example. Heck, Smart was around for 9 years and turned down multiple jobs. In many cases we've brought in guys who've been head coaches or coordinators and simply need an image refresh. It sucks to churn at such a high rate, but it's much better to have your coaches be wanted than the alternative.

That’s the truth. It pains me to say it but I think Pruitt will be good here but in the end Bama will come calling and he’ll go home again. Even in his presser he mention growing up there and being a fan a lot so I expect it. It’s just a matter of when at this point

That’s the truth. It pains me to say it but I think Pruitt will be good here but in the end Bama will come calling and he’ll go home again. Even in his presser he mention growing up there and being a fan a lot so I expect it. It’s just a matter of when at this point
Alabama will only be interested in him if he orchestrates a massive turnaround job here, and I'm not talking 9-3 with a Citrus Bowl win. I think he'd need to win the SEC (winning the SEC in all likelihood involves a win in Atlanta over Saban) and make the playoff for Alabama to even consider him. Something similar to what Kirby has done at Georgia. If that's the case, I welcome it.

If Pruitt did something like that, he certainly would be an extremely attractive candidate to them, especially now that Dabo doesn't really have a reason to leave Clemson and Kirby is home.

Last edited:
Alabama will only be interested in him if he orchestrates a massive turnaround job here, and I'm not talking 9-3 with a Citrus Bowl win. I think he'd need to win the SEC (winning the SEC in all likelihood involves a win in Atlanta over Saban) and make the playoff for Alabama to even consider him. Something similar to what Kirby has done at Georgia. If that's the case, I welcome it.

If Pruitt did something like that, he certainly would be an extremely attractive candidate to them, especially now that Dabo doesn't really have a reason to leave Clemson and Kirby is home.

Let’s say they can’t get either of the two and Pruitt has done 9-3 10-2 while at UT. I think he’d be more of a candidate than you realize. In the end it’s a winning record and that’s all they care about is winning. I think Pruitt is good enough to get some SEC titles things have to change though

Let’s say they can’t get either of the two and Pruitt has done 9-3 10-2 while at UT. I think he’d be more of a candidate than you realize. In the end it’s a winning record and that’s all they care about is winning. I think Pruitt is good enough to get some SEC titles things have to change though
9-3/10-2 is not good enough at Alabama. Nowhere near good enough. If Pruitt had a 9-3 season at Tennessee within a couple more years, Bammers might say that's impressive, but if you asked them if it was impressive enough for them to hire him, I bet they say "Eh...I wouldn't go that far." I really think Pruitt would need to do something like what Kirby has done at Georgia for Bammers to declare him truly worthy of being their HC. They'll have stratospheric prerequisites for their next HC, as they rightfully should.

If they can't convince Dabo (I think that has become increasingly unlikely given the continued success he's had) or Kirby (extremely unlikely), I bet they'd think about going the NFL to look for a coach. Other than Dabo, the only active college coach with a title when Saban retires could very well be Jimbo, and he ain't going nowhere.

When Saban steps down, there could be another coach out there other than Dabo or Kirby who has really elevated their reputation, but hasn't quite entirely "made it" (i.e., won a title and created a situation where they have it made). That could be Pruitt, although I think it is unlikely. I could also see it being someone like Tom Herman, although Texas could match whatever offer Alabama made him.

Alabama's problem is that they are going to want a coach who has "made it" at their current job, like Dabo, but the risk/reward for that coach isn't there. In that regard, they'll have to settle to a certain extent on whoever they hire. Unless it is Dabo or Kirby, I bet a lot of their fans will think whoever it is isn't quite good enough.

9-3/10-2 is not good enough at Alabama. Nowhere near good enough. If Pruitt had a 9-3 season at Tennessee within a couple more years, Bammers might say that's impressive, but if you asked them if it was impressive enough for them to hire him, I bet they say "Eh...I wouldn't go that far." I really think Pruitt would need to do something like what Kirby has done at Georgia for Bammers to declare him truly worthy of being their HC. They'll have stratospheric prerequisites for their next HC, as they rightfully should.

If they can't convince Dabo (I think that has become increasingly unlikely given the continued success he's had) or Kirby (extremely unlikely), I bet they'd think about going the NFL to look for a coach. Other than Dabo, the only active college coach with a title when Saban retires could very well be Jimbo, and he ain't going nowhere.

When Saban steps down, there could be another coach out there other than Dabo or Kirby who has really elevated their reputation, but hasn't quite entirely "made it" (i.e., won a title and created a situation where they have it made). That could be Pruitt, although I think it is unlikely. I could also see it being someone like Tom Herman, although Texas could match whatever offer Alabama made him.

Alabama's problem is that they are going to want a coach who has "made it" at their current job, like Dabo, but the risk/reward for that coach isn't there. In that regard, they'll have to settle to a certain extent on whoever they hire. Unless it is Dabo or Kirby, I bet a lot of their fans will think whoever it is isn't quite good enough.

Whoever is next is gonna have to be good enough because nobody is gonna make a run like Saban has. So to the Bammer fans, deal with it.

VN Store

Back