'21 AL WR Roc Taylor (Memphis signee)

pRKdWiK.gif

Chad Simmons post on VQ...
He’s definitely a hybrid, and likely to be that FLEX on the next level. He is another one I really wanted to see in person this spring for a deeper eval.

He’s a basketball player too, so he is a big athlete. Taylor has a good frame, he is agile for his size and he has plus ball skills. He has shown the ability to win 50-50 balls and make some plays in traffic.

I personally really like his upside. He has to clean up his route running, he needs to improve his overall speed, but I really like his ball skills and burst for his size.

His best football is ahead of him and he has a chance to move up in the rankings down the road as we re-evaluate.

40 time would be kinda gross for a WR. But if you're going to be slow, you better make contested catches. This dude's reel is full of them.

So we giving Mosely and Merrill the git shirt, or we taking 4 WR’s?
Im telling you man we have other needs. How many Wrs do we need.? We are gonna pass on two of these guys at least imo let them go elsewhere. That being said i love the size and speed we are bringing in

Shades of '17.

VQ pod this morning said Tennessee had a unique opportunity to poach kids from Alabama this year. I wonder if he is an Isaac Washington-type that is super connected to recruits.

It’s April
I am new when it comes to keeping up with recruiting so please bear with me. Is it normal for us to start off with lower ranked commits early in the cycle and then pick up bigger names as the season progresses? I may seem pessimistic but we are tied with Maryland with the lowest star avg per player in the top 25 on 247 (lower than Rutgers and Minnesota). Hopefully I'll eat my own words and just trust the coaching staffs evaluations since most of their recruits get major recruiting bumps.

Taylor, a 6-4, 218-pound athlete who projects as a rangy wideout, is a 3-star recruit from Oxford (Ala.) High. He’s visited Tennessee multiple times in the last year, including attending the final Junior Day before COVID-19 halted all recruiting visits — both on and off campus.

Despite the unusual recruiting dead period, Taylor becomes Tennessee’s third commitment in the last two weeks, joining tailback Jaylen Wright and wideout Walker Merrill. He also continues a trend of the Vols aggressively chasing prospects from the Yellowhammer State, becoming the third Alabama native in the class already, with top targets like Jeremiah Williams and Dylan Brooks still on the board, too.
VQ

Taylor is a very good two-sport athlete,” 247Sports national analyst Charles Power told GoVols247, “as a star for Oxford in both football and basketball. He’s a physical, coordinated pass catcher.

“Taylor excels at the catch point with his strong hands. He comes down with impressive contested catches and also shows the ability to track the ball downfield. He’s bouncy athlete and shows that some on the basketball court.”

Taylor is ranked as 17th among tight ends according to the industry-rated 247Sports Composite and is the No. 18 overall prospect out of Alabama.

In the graphic announcing his commitment, Taylor was listed as a wide receiver.

"To me this is a really low-risk prospect," 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons said. "He’s got plus frame and size. He’s versatile in the way you can use him and potentially the roles he can grow into and I think he shows some real indicators that he’s got the right competitive makeup. He’s a high-end basketball player, his usage in high school suggests there’s some trust there and he appears to play really hard at receiver."

Taylor is the third receiver in Tennessee’s 2021 class, following commitments from four-star Jordan Mosley and three-star Walker Merrill.

Mosley, out of McGill Toolen High School in Mobile, Ala., committed back in June. The Vols added Merrill, out of Brentwood, Tenn., on March 31.

Taylor ran a laser-timed 4.86 in the 40 at a regional event for The Opening in March 2019. He had a 4.32-second shuttle time and a 28.4-inch vertical.

“Taylor looks to play a little faster than he’s run in combine settings thus far,” Power said, “and it’s worth noting he is a bigger receiver at well over 200 pounds.

“This is a nice pickup for the Vols and Taylor is a player who I think we would’ve seen continue to rise had there been a normal spring evaluation period.”

I am new when it comes to keeping up with recruiting so please bear with me. Is it normal for us to start off with lower ranked commits early in the cycle and then pick up bigger names as the season progresses? I may seem pessimistic but we are tied with Maryland with the lowest star avg per player in the top 25 on 247 (lower than Rutgers and Minnesota). Hopefully I'll eat my own words and just trust the coaching staffs evaluations since most of their recruits get major recruiting bumps.
Yeah happened last year and we got a top ten class. Pruitt is known as a closer

What do you expect the coaches to do? They can’t actively recruit right now because of the virus.

Reactions: CreiveHallVol

VN Store

Back