'19 AL WR George Pickens (UGA signee)

They set it up where he gets what is promised to him once he is in so it is not that big of a risk. And if they really want him in bad enough they will use their resources to ensure it happens.

I hear you, but I don't know how they communicate the deal in a way that cannot be captured on a wire or other methods so the player or family can sweeten the deal in order to not expose the plan by selling a story to a hungry news outlet who might also offer some big bucks... risk/reward as a plan for multiple prospects a year does not seem sustainable. It only takes one unhappy prospect to blow up.... how many six figure jobs can you find for a kids parents and coaches?

They set it up where he gets what is promised to him once he is in so it is not that big of a risk. And if they really want him in bad enough they will use their resources to ensure it happens.

So not only is UGA cheating, but they're handing out contracts for future payments based on contingencies? And presumably getting grades changed at Hoover high school in Alabama,, or changing national testing scores? Are you claiming to have proof of these allegations?

So not only is UGA cheating, but they're handing out contracts for future payments based on contingencies? And presumably getting grades changed at Hoover high school in Alabama,, or changing national testing scores? Are you claiming to have proof of these allegations?

Wow you sure put some words in other people's mouths. Are you suggesting that's what uga is up to?

You dont want a taste of that flavor, my guy. Your 247 subscription doesnt mean a thing his world so I'm not sure you'll benefit by trying to poke the bear.

Yes.

There's a reason 6-7 out of the top 10 schools in recruiting are SEC every year... it just matters more here...

by matters... I mean pays... bags of cash... Meet the Bag Man

... so does Clemson/USC/Ohio State/Oregon/Michigan... and a handful of other schools... but it's rampant in the SEC... Tennessee does it, too... we're just not as blatantly obvious about it ;)

Yes.

There's a reason 6-7 out of the top 10 schools in recruiting are SEC every year... it just matters more here...

... so does Clemson/USC/Ohio State/Oregon/Michigan... and a handful of other schools... but it's rampant in the SEC... Tennessee does it, too... we're just not as blatantly obvious about it ;)

I'm not saying that recruits never get paid, but I don't think it's as prevalent as you'd think from message board chatter. Otherwise, there would be hard evidence coming to light every year. Even if the schools/boosters were very careful, recruits and their families are not very experienced at hiding a financial windfall. My guess is that it's more common for players to get smaller amounts of money after they're in school than for a recruit or their parents to get a huge sum for signing.

As for the SEC, there are other reasons to account for top signing classes than just attributing it to rampant cheating. Southern states have more talent and high school football is losing popularity faster in the rest of the country. The SEC has a geographic advantage and even top recruits from elsewhere want to play against top talent. That has become more apparent since the old bowl game system was abandoned, because national champions have to play a top team (now two top teams) without regard to bowl conference tie-ins. That's why the SEC went on a championship run after the advent of the BCS and now playoffs.

If UGA or any other team is blatantly cheating, they'll eventually get caught. Going into probably the most successful high school program in a football rabid state like Alabama and paying a 5 star player, stealing him away from the home state schools, would be a high risk strategy, probably just plain dumb. If someone has evidence of that I'm sure it will come out in time, but until then I'm skeptical that a good run of recruiting automatically equals blatant cheating. If Tennessee gets a major recruiting boost over the next few seasons (which seems likely) and your rivals start talking about impending NCAA doom, I'm sure you'll take it with a grain of salt too.

Not if they do it right. Some however get sloppy. Probation is not as hard as it used to be. Look at all the actions that have been taken lately.

If UGA or any other team is blatantly cheating, they'll eventually get caught. Going into probably the most successful high school program in a football rabid state like Alabama and paying a 5 star player, stealing him away from the home state schools, would be a high risk strategy, probably just plain dumb. If someone has evidence of that I'm sure it will come out in time, but until then I'm skeptical that a good run of recruiting automatically equals blatant cheating. If Tennessee gets a major recruiting boost over the next few seasons (which seems likely) and your rivals start talking about impending NCAA doom, I'm sure you'll take it with a grain of salt too.

I don't think anybody's ever argued with Kirby Smart being an oxymoranic name

Yes.

... so does Clemson/USC/Ohio State/Oregon/Michigan... and a handful of other schools... but it's rampant in the SEC... Tennessee does it, too... we're just not as blatantly successful about it ;)

Fyp.

I know it's all in hindsight; but, it's always fun to go back and see who really goes that extra mile to truly make a fool of themselves. I believe this guy, or gal, is the winner.
A for EFFORT just ain’t enough high praise for the guy! 😏

Reactions: SugarCC
I'm not saying that recruits never get paid, but I don't think it's as prevalent as you'd think from message board chatter. Otherwise, there would be hard evidence coming to light every year. Even if the schools/boosters were very careful, recruits and their families are not very experienced at hiding a financial windfall. My guess is that it's more common for players to get smaller amounts of money after they're in school than for a recruit or their parents to get a huge sum for signing.

As for the SEC, there are other reasons to account for top signing classes than just attributing it to rampant cheating. Southern states have more talent and high school football is losing popularity faster in the rest of the country. The SEC has a geographic advantage and even top recruits from elsewhere want to play against top talent. That has become more apparent since the old bowl game system was abandoned, because national champions have to play a top team (now two top teams) without regard to bowl conference tie-ins. That's why the SEC went on a championship run after the advent of the BCS and now playoffs.

Anytime someone is having an "unprecedented run of success", there's usually a reason.

Lance Armstrong, Barry Bonds, Track stars, Russian Olympians, etc.

That being said, I wish we cheated as aggressively as UGA. Sounds fun.

VN Store

Back