'20 AL WR EJ Williams (Clemson commit)

If we somehow manage to pull this kid and Rakim Jarrett for Harrison Bailey to throw, things could get real exciting real soon.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
“It was overall a great weekend,” Williams offered. “I had a lot of fun. Built a lot of relationships with the players and I strengthened my relationship with the coaches. “I felt a lot better after going on the visit. They are very nice and generous people. They want you to be successful in life. I wanted to see how they were on a regular practice weekend,” Williams said. “I want coaches to be real with me about things and I wanted to see them when they were just working and being real with the team.”

Williams said head coach Jeremy Pruitt was real with him in their conversations this weekend about where the current team is and where they are going. “He told me that they will struggle some early, but he feels like he has the staff to get the job done and that they are going to be a lot better than they were last year. They are losing 5 receivers so if I come and work hard then I will have the opportunity to start.”

Williams also liked what he witnessed Saturday in the orange and white game in Jim Chaney’s offense. “They are going to try to find the most dominant receiver on the field and try to get him the ball,” Williams said. “They want to get the ball to their playmakers.” Williams is being recruited by Vol receiver coach and Alabama native Tee Martin. Williams is clearly a fan of Martin and of his son. “We have a real good relationship,” Williams said. “I also have a good relationship with his son, Amari. Coach Martin told me if I came there and worked hard then I could get on the field as a freshman.”

Williams and Amari Rogers met when Williams visited Clemson. The two hit it off and have remained in touch. Williams will see Rogers again as he will for sure officially visit Clemson and Auburn. Williams is scheduled to make his commitment on August 24th and plans to return to Knoxville this summer to see the Vols again before making his final choice, a decision that will center on relationships and opportunities. “Really, I’m just for that feeling that I will be really comfortable at that school and I can show my talents as a freshman if I put in the work. I must have a really good relationship with the coaching staff and my mom has to be really comfortable. She likes Tennessee.”

-VQ

“I feel a lot more comfortable at Tennessee than a few other places,” said Williams. “The atmosphere is amazing, and the coaching staff and players are unbelievable, too.” Williams said he’s “building a really good relationship” with Vols rising senior wide receiver Marquez Callaway, who served as his player host during the official visit. Callaway reiterated to Williams that he could play a major role in addressing Tennessee’s needs at wide receiver, where the Vols are preparing to replace Callaway and three other seniors after the 2019 season.

“Basically, they are losing four (receivers), and he feels I’m the perfect fit for Tennessee’s offense and playing style,” Williams said, recalling the message he received from Callaway. Williams said he has built “a really strong relationship” with first-year Tennessee wide receivers coach Tee Martin over the past few months. Spending time with Pruitt at his house was among the highlights of the trip for Williams. “When we ate breakfast at Coach Pruitt’s house was the best moment of the whole visit,” he said. “I had a great conversation with (defensive coordinator Derrick) Ansley and Coach Martin. They are very great coaches and people.”

Williams told GoVols247 last month that he has known Ansley, a former assistant coach at Alabama, “since I was a sophomore.” “I have a really strong relationship with Coach Martin, though,” Williams told Garcia. “We’re really close.” After his first visit to Tennessee, for its junior day on March 2, Williams admitted he came away with “a lot more interest in Tennessee.” At the time, he called it “probably one of the best visits that I’ve had so far” and admitted the Vols were “up there” on his list of college choices.

“To me, those were the best facilities I’ve seen,” Williams said last month. “The coaches, they’re all nice. With Derrick Ansley, I’ve got one of the best relationships with him out of all the coaches I’ve met. He’s known me since I was a sophomore.” Clemson, Alabama and Auburn were the three schools that had been most associated with Williams before his visits to Tennessee and Florida State last month. After those trips, he said last month at the Under Armour All-America Camp Series stop in the Atlanta area that the Vols and Seminoles “really do have a shot because I really enjoyed both of the programs.”

I mean.... I don’t want to get too excited, but reading some of those quotes it sounds like he’s going to be a Vol in the end. Glowing words plus being close with ace recruiters.

In seeking perspective, anyone know if he spoke similarly about Clemson or Alabama, post visit?

I mean, post of these recruit interviews read the same but idk something about how he spoke of us almost read like a post commitment explanation...

I mean.. Callaway, Byrd, Jeff George, Latrell Williams and Brandon Johnson looked good on paper 😂
giphy.gif

Reactions: Big Gucci Sosa
I mean.. Callaway, Byrd, Jeff George, Latrell Williams and Brandon Johnson looked good on paper 😂
They don't look good on football fields? Calloway, Byrd, and Johnson could start for most SEC schools

Byrd has always played well when he was on the field... couple drops maybe?... I've always wondered why he hasn't gotten more opportunities

Reactions: BucksnortVol
They don't look good on football fields? Calloway, Byrd, and Johnson could start for most SEC schools

Byrd has always played well when he was on the field... couple drops maybe?... I've always wondered why he hasn't gotten more opportunities
They look decent on the field (mostly Callaway), but they haven't been anything close to what was expected. Except Callaway. Johnson can't find the field now, Byrd is a blocker, George was nothing special on the field, and Williams has transferred.

VN Store

Back