6'3" 180lbs
Phenix, AL
(Central)

Eddie Williams, Central, Wide Receiver
EJ Williams, 2020 Wide Receiver - Rivals.com
Eddie Williams on Hudl

Vols Recruitment timeline
11/28/2018 - Vols offered.
2/1/2019 - Released top 12. Vols included.
3/2/2019 - Visited for Junior Day
4/13/2019 - Official Visit

Last edited:
REALLY hope we get this one. He and Draine would be a great combo for Bailey. Flip Downs from NC for a slot guy and Bailey will have 3 speed demons at WR. We get Gilbert or Washington at TE too.. omg 🤤

His HS has become a bit of a Clemson pipeline. Would be nice to steal another big time player from them ala Crouch. If Pruitt wants to make that a thing i’m for it.

“It was probably one of the best visits that I’ve had so far,” said Williams, who’s ranked the No. 88 overall prospect and No. 19 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2020 class. “To me, those were the best facilities I’ve seen. The coaches, they’re all nice. With Derrick Ansley, I’ve got one of the best relationships with him out of all the coaches I’ve met. He’s known me since I was a sophomore. “I was interested a little bit, but now I’ve got a lot more interest in Tennessee now. … They’re up there.”

The 6-foot-3.5, 192-pound Williams said Tennessee already had “been recruiting me hard” since giving him an offer in late November, and the Vols have “wanted me to come up there for the longest now.” He said Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt has visited his school, and he “wanted to see what they were talking about.”

But Williams admitted the Vols’ hiring of Ansley, who previously recruited him at Alabama, was “one of the main reasons I went to Tennessee on Saturday. He said he’s glad he made the trip. “I wanted to visit because they came up to the school and my head coach was like, ‘It’s a real nice place.’ He’s been up there,” Williams said. “I wondered what it would look like, so I just wanted to check it out. “It really surpassed my expectations for what I thought it was going to be. It was more than what I expected.”

“One of the main reasons (I like Tennessee), really, is coach Tee Martin. I had a great conversation with him when I was there, and he’s just a real coach. He’s going to be straight to the point. He’s not going to hide anything. He’s going to tell you how it is.” Martin’s history of producing NFL wide receivers during his previous stint at USC caught Williams’ attention. “He told me about how he coached at USC and coached JuJu (Smith-Schuster) and all those guys, and Adoree’ Jackson,” Williams said of Martin. “He said he’s actually got some dudes. JuJu, I think he was the number-one safety coming out of high school, and he transferred him to a high-caliber wide receiver playing with the Pittsburgh Steelers now.”

“They were basically telling me that they’re losing four seniors and a tight end (who is a) senior and that, if I just come in and apply myself, put the work in, I’ll get a chance to actually start,” he said. “(Martin) likes that I can get the jump ball and I’ve got really good routes, too, and I’m real lengthy. And I can catch balls in traffic — things like that. “He likes that I’m not just a one-dimensional guy.”

EJ Williams- The first thing that caught my eye about Williams was that he showed up in Tennessee gloves and sang high praises about the Vols and Tee Martin. The prospect of playing for Martin has the Vols squarely. One thing that has been brought up in several conversations is what Martin did with JuJu Smith-Schuster at USC. Schuster was projected to play safety but under Martin developed into a receiver and that has impressed several recruits. That is a huge point that is being sold to receivers. Another point is that the Vols are losing receivers, and the opportunity to play early is there. Clemson is a major factor for Williams as well and he already has two teammates up there. The most notable quote from my time with Williams came about Amari Rodgers. “I have a great relationship with Coach Tee. I know his son Amari Rodgers too. He kind of wants me to go to Tennessee too but at the same time he wants me to come to Clemson.”

As I said yesterday in another thread, I don’t mind the strategy of getting his first official visit. Tennessee isn’t believed to be one of the 2-3 favorites for him right now, and after the Vols impressed him last month on his first trip to Knoxville, rolling out the red carpet for him and really impressing him potentially could shake up his recruitment a bit. That’s certainly the hope. And it’s not a huge risk on Tennessee’s part, in my opinion, because it’s a kid from Alabama — not South Florida — so the Vols should have an easier time getting him back on campus in the coming months on unofficial visits than they did with Khris Bogle last year, although even Bogle made multiple visits to Tennessee last year.

Tennessee hosted a few spring official visitors last year. Wanya Morris and Khris Bogle were two of them, and I would say it worked out pretty well with both of them. Bogle didn’t end up signing with the Vols, but he obviously took a really hard look at them for several months after that official visit. The idea with most of them is that the timeline for every prospect’s recruitment has sort of been pushed up a bit — more players than ever are making their decisions by the summer or early fall — so getting an early official visit gives you a chance to be more of a factor in the final months of his recruitment, especially if that school is believed to be chasing multiple teams for the player.
Callahan

Am I missing something? Kid left here glowing about the visit. Tee and Ansley are recruiting him. He is returning 6 weeks later for an Official. Then Callahan comes along a month later and writes that? "Tennessee isn't believed to be on of the 2-3 favorites..."

Am I missing something? Kid left here glowing about the visit. Tee and Ansley are recruiting him. He is returning 6 weeks later for an Official. Then Callahan comes along a month later and writes that? "Tennessee isn't believed to be on of the 2-3 favorites..."
He likes the Vols but he's a big time recruit from AL with offers from both instate schools, UGA and Clemson as well. He's believed to be a Clemson lean and visiting there this weekend for their spring game, 3rd visit there in just over a month. Wouldn't be surprised to see him commit to CU soon and shut down his recruitment. Hopefully he makes the trip to UT next weekend and he starts leaning our way...

Feel like this is big time news that isn’t getting talked about.

Yeah there's 2 or 3 teams ahead of us for him but getting him here for the spring game is huge. We have a puncher's chance at any recruit if we can get them on campus. Our facilities and atmosphere and just the experience for a visiting recruit is a huge advantage.

VN Store

Back