‘23 AL WDE Tomarrion Parker (Clemson commit)

So if EDGE players are basically like a WDE in our system (but maybe no hand in the ground?), then are traditional WDEs more like SDEs or 2-down WDEs?

And traditional SDEs are more like a smaller DT?

Or am I overthinking it? Trying to understand how EDGE vs WDEs play out in this nickel system.
Not coming down at you all-
I've had to explain this like 50 x it seems like.

"EDGE" is a catch all term.
SPUR, LEO, DE, WDE OLB, SDE as well...can all be classified as edge.

There are so many types of defensive combinations and base defenses with down and distance variations, that that had to create that term.
Just like NB could = NB, STAR, Bandit, etc

Back in the day, you had MLB and OLBs, and DEs, nowadays...one player could be all those guys during the same game...
You saw it with Saban and Charlie Strong back in 2008 and 2009 when they would line Hightower for Bama or Spikes for Florida at the outside on 3rd down, even they were Mike LBs

Now you have guys like Isiah Simmons would could play safety or put his hand on the ground for certain plays.

Just the fact White aggressively pursued JF for this job tells me these guys aren’t near as smart as we think they are.
And what does our initial reaction to the Heupel hire say about our noodles? 😏

Not a Franklin fan, but he was the biggest catch available and DW was obligated to take a swing…if for nothing but credibility.

Last edited:
His act has a very short shelf life. He wore out his welcome at Vandy despite having the 3 best years they've had since WWII and he appears to be doing the same at PS. If he doesnt make something happen this season, I wouldnt be surprised to see him leave for another "restart"

I don’t know if getting a job at a top 10 all-time winningest program is “wearing out” his welcome. It’s moving up to a much better job. Vandy didn’t fire him. Hell, he was coming off a 9-win season and had a top 25 ranked recruiting class lined up. And was coming off of 2 straight seasons Vandy finished ranked in the top 25. Vanderbilt doesn’t do that.

I don’t know if getting a job at a top 10 all-time winningest program is “wearing out” his welcome. It’s moving up to a much better job. Vandy didn’t fire him. Hell, he was coming off a 9-win season and had a top 25 ranked recruiting class lined up.
The media for the second time is covering up a major sex scandal for Franklin, this time at Penn State of all places!

Reactions: norrislakevol
I don’t know if getting a job at a top 10 all-time winningest program is “wearing out” his welcome. It’s moving up to a much better job. Vandy didn’t fire him. Hell, he was coming off a 9-win season and had a top 25 ranked recruiting class lined up. And was coming off of 2 straight seasons Vandy finished ranked in the top 25. Vanderbilt doesn’t do that.

I agree that Franklin would have taken the PS job irregardless but alot of vandy people were glad he left. The rape deal brought alot of embarassement to their school in that the act itself involved 4 players but the coverup involved several others. By the time police were aware of it, the entire football program probably knew of it. Strange but both of Vandy's most successful coaches in the last 40 years, George MacIntyre and James Franklin were damaged there by scandal. Mac was the coach during the steriod scandal of the mid 80s and Franklin by the rape case.

And while the Tennessean had no appetite whatsoever in Franklin's role in the coverup during the trial, I suspect they would have rekindled their interest level significantly if he were named head football coach at the University of Tennessee........

I agree that Franklin would have taken the PS job irregardless but alot of vandy people were glad he left. The rape deal brought alot of embarassement to their school in that the act itself involved 4 players but the coverup involved several others. By the time police were aware of it, the entire football program probably knew of it. Strange but both of Vandy's most successful coaches in the last 40 years, George MacIntyre and James Franklin were damaged there by scandal. Mac was the coach during the steriod scandal of the mid 80s and Franklin by the rape case.

And while the Tennessean had no appetite whatsoever in Franklin's role in the coverup during the trial, I suspect they would have rekindled their interest level significantly if he were named head football coach at the University of Tennessee........

Fair point. I was actually really surprised that Penn State went after him given what they had just been through with Sandusky. It seemed like a tone deaf hire.

I’m also surprised they weren’t raked over more by the national media for hiring Franklin in the immediate aftermath of Sandusky. If that had been Tennessee, we’d still be hearing it. Hell, if Tennessee had hired Schiano we’d be hearing it from the same people who criticized Tennessee fans for stopping the hire.

Fair point. I was actually really surprised that Penn State went after him given what they had just been through with Sandusky. It seemed like a tone deaf hire.

I’m also surprised they weren’t raked over more by the national media for hiring Franklin in the immediate aftermath of Sandusky. If that had been Tennessee, we’d still be hearing it. Hell, if Tennessee had hired Schiano we’d be hearing it from the same people who criticized Tennessee fans for stopping the hire.
They’re in the northeast. The media doesn’t attack teams from the northeast like they do the south. You know, because we’re ignorant and dumb or something

Franklin was neck deep in the Vandy rape case & about a lowlife as there is IMO. The DA protected him & Vanderbilt not to expose in court what many knew.Most Vanderbilt fans I know where glad to see him go. Now, the replacements have been a disaster but at least they’re not on the front page anymore.
I knew you were lying when you said Vanderbilt “fans”.

They sell about 5,000 season tickets. They give another 5k at reduced prices to VUMC employees.
They lost a bunch of VUMC people buying tickets at one point. The VUMC employees were buying Vandy season tickets for all kinds of people including me. I would sell the tickets to fans of other schools and then use the UT game tickets. After years of employees doing this Vandy discovered they should have been including the reduced cost of the tickets in the VUMC employee taxes. Without notifying them in advance they included it in their income and pissed a bunch of employees off.

Except I’ll never forget when he flipped off our fans after Dennis Rogan intercepted that pass in overtime and ran it back for a touchdown.He never belonged here and never will.
I think he is a pretty good coach, probably better than any of the ones we had between Fulmer and Heupel. However, I would not buy season tickets if he was our coach at Tennessee. His attitude against Tennessee was disgusting and I hope he never wins another game anywhere.

VN Store

Back