Al Washington (Potential DC)

ShreveportVol

At this point, we have tried everything in our hires.

No experience (Sunseri), tons of experience (Chaney)
Offensive mind (Kiffin), defensive mind (Pruitt)
Hotshot (Kiffin), boring (the rest)
Ascending G5 HC (Butch), salty SEC vet (Pruitt)
Salty position coaches (rocker etc), young recruiters (neidermeyer etc)
VFL, bammer, midwesterner, west coaster, sabaner, grudener, NFL, spread, smashmouth, 4-3, 3-4...

No matter what angle, we've pretty much tried it and it hasnt worked out for us. The words "recruiter of the year," "up and comer," "vet," "SEC experience," "HC experience" mean nothing to me anymore. I hope our staff does well, whoever they are, but I'm all out of predictions for what makes a hire good or bad

Last edited:

VolMarine1371

I am ok/happy about this hire. I think Steele should still be retained if we hire a coach as DC with no experience. Steele would do good with Washington as CO-DC for couple years. This will allow a young DC to learn form an experienced DC and a good recruiter. Steele is worth keeping on staff as a recruiter alone if nothing else. Even though Washington is considered a good coach up and coming we should not be worried about that I don’t believe. Just look at OSU message boards and the fans don’t wanna lose this guy and actually would like to see him promoted and try to keep on staff. But i would only go with Washington if they couldn’t get Matt House.

sonofUT62

When you've got nothing intelligent to say, always call someone a name
Yes, because “ since you know so much you should be the one hiring the coaches” is such a witty, original addition to the conversation. You must be pretty desperate for something to do on a Sunday night to get involved in a conversation between two other people.

secking

rdk4121

I would love this hire if we keep Steele as well. Having an experienced play caller to help him would be a great idea. Washington can coach OLB, Steele can coach ILB.

@VolDaddy61
How do you build a resume without experience ?!

I HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THE SAME THING. IF YOU DO NOT GET A CHANCE HOW WILL YOU EVER HAVE "EXPERIENCE"
At a smaller school, on a smaller stage as a coordinator, and then working your way up thru the ranks as a coordinator.
Makes sense to me, much more so than a at a major university in the most competitive conference in the country for a team with obvious difficulties looming.
If he is the hire I'll support it, but I don't think we need a learn on the job never called a play in his life type position coach for DC at this time.
Maybe that's just me.

jhen713

Hanging with Smokey
Could possibly be getting Co-DC with Washington (OLB) and Steele (ILB)

That's what I was thinking. Maybe Steele sticks around for a year to help Washington transition into a DC/play caller. Still not sold in Steele buying in/Heupel wanting to keep Steele around though with Fulmer hiring him.

90 Vol

Let's Goooo!
At this point, we have tried everything in our hires.

No experience (Sunseri), tons of experience (Chaney)
Offensive mind (Kiffin), defensive mind (Pruitt)
Hotshot (Kiffin), boring (the rest)
Ascending G5 HC (Butch), salty SEC vet (Pruitt)
Salty position coaches (rocker etc), young recruiters (neidermeyer etc)
VFL, bammer, midwesterner, west coaster, sabaner, grudener, NFL, spread, smashmouth, 4-3, 3-4...

No matter what angle, we've pretty much tried it and it hasnt worked out for us. The words "recruiter of the year," "up and comer," "vet," "SEC experience," "HC experience" mean nothing to me anymore. I hope our staff does well, whoever they are, but I'm all out of predictions for what makes a hire good or bad
Your post is well thought out. I believe that what we've been missing is a coaching staff, roster, and administration that's bought in and pulling in the same direction. A team can win with a variety of offensive or defensive schemes as long as there's synergy throughout the program. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case and we had to burn it to the ground in order to build it back correctly. I'm hopeful that we're going to get it right this time.

Volinnooga

I would love this hire if we keep Steele as well. Having an experienced play caller to help him would be a great idea. Washington can coach OLB, Steele can coach ILB.
Steele isn't hanging around if someone else is hired as DC. I am not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, I just can't imagine a seasoned DC hanging around as a position coach.

VN Store