'22 AL S Jourdan Thomas (Tennessee signee)

Cooper Petagna, a 247Sports national recruiting analyst, said there’s plenty to like about Thomas, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 55 safety in the 2022 class and the No. 30 senior from the state of Alabama.

“Ideal frame at 6-foot-1 and change. Possesses the growth potential to add additional weight to his frame,” Petagna said of Thomas, adding that he’s a “versatile defender” who “shows the ability to play either safety position while flashing some man-to-man cover ability in the slot.”

Petagna said Thomas “displays good instincts and willingness as a tackler in run support.” He is also “strong at the point of attack” and “will strike you,” Petagna said.

Thomas said Tennessee has been recruiting him primarily as a safety, although he might be capable of helping at multiple positions in the secondary. He went through a private workout with Vols defensive coordinator Tim Banks and defensive backs coach Willie Martinez during his first visit to Knoxville in late June.

Petagna said Thomas “projects to a boundary safety at the next level with some position versatility to play either safety position if needed.”

While Thomas said he won’t be able to enroll at Tennessee until May since he’s not allowed to graduate early at his school. But Petagna said he believes Thomas is capable of contributing early for the Vols, particularly on special teams.
Petagna said he believes Thomas “will add value on multiple special-teams units.”
“I think he’s ready to contribute on special teams,” Petagna said. “Will need to continue to develop at the safety spot.”
-Callahan

The first play of Jourdan Thomas’ senior highlight film shows him running down on kickoff coverage and delivering a big hit to make the stop near the 20-yard line. It’s a good example of the all-around ability, along with the willingness to do anything on the field, that made him a standout player at Montgomery (Ala.) Catholic Preparatory School.

Montgomery Catholic coach Kirk Johnson believes those traits will serve Thomas well in the SEC. The Class of 2022 safety was committed to Mississippi State for nearly eight months before decommitting from the Bulldogs on Wednesday, and he’s now headed to Tennessee. He announced his commitment to the Vols on Saturday during his official visit to Knoxville after being pursued by the Vols for months.

Johnson said the 6-foot-2, 190-pound Thomas, who has received scholarship offers from more than 20 schools, is “a physical kid” who’s likely to “find his way” onto the field early in his college career.

“The thing I like the most about him as a football player is he’s going to find his way on the field early because of special teams,” Johnson said of Thomas, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 55 safety in the 2022 class and the No. 30 senior from the state of Alabama.

“He does everything. I mean, he runs down on kickoff. He runs down on punt. He’ll go block a field goal. I mean, he does everything. He continues to strive and get better, and he’ll do anything. He’ll just do anything.”

Thomas focused on offense early in his high school career and initially “wanted to play quarterback,” Johnson said, before moving to defense.

“His sophomore year, he made the switch to really committing to safety,” Johnson said, “and it just took off for him.”

Johnson said Thomas, who received an offer from Tennessee in May and has visited the Vols three times since late June, has succeeded at least in part because of his work ethic and his approach to the game.

“He’s a football-first kid, man — grades and then football,” Johnson said. “A lot of kids in our line of work these days care more about the recruitment, care more about what they’re wearing and things of that sort. He just loves ball. He cares about ball. He respects the game, and those are things you don’t find in our game today.

“He’s a leader, more so by example than a vocal leader. If he’s saying anything, then it’s probably going to be something you need to listen to. He’s more of a, ‘Be where you need to be, do what you’re supposed to do, run your sprint full-speed,’ type kid. He doesn’t really have to say a lot.”

Thomas said Tennessee has been recruiting him primarily as a safety but also believes he’s capable of contributing at multiple positions in the secondary.

“He’s always played safety,” Johnson said. “Can he play corner? He has pressed some dudes up in the slot. But just because he’s so rangy and can move, we always kind of keep him back and allow him to cover a lot of space. …
“I see him being a safety. When you’ve got guys like that — as big as he is that can guard a tight end, but can match up with those little, shifty guys in the slot — I think you leave them there.”
But Johnson said Thomas is also big enough that he could add some weight to his large frame in the future and ultimately grow into another position.

“I’m going to be honest with you: When that man starts getting three, four meals a day, in a college weight room, taking a lot of protein shakes, you could look up and he’s 6-2, 230, so he could end up being an outside linebacker,” Johnson said.

“I mean, he runs well. I don’t ever want to say he’s a one-position guy, because you could look up and he’s playing outside ‘backer. I’m curious to see how his body takes to that college weight room.”
-Callahan

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back