'22 AL S Jourdan Thomas (Tennessee signee)

Hopefully he is, but odds are if he were Alabama and Auburn would want him. I’m not betting against him just reading tea leaves. We’ll see how it goes.

Recruiting is based on Need, coaching evaluations and fit. It is not based on, who is recruiting this player or why isn't this team not recruiting him. You just made an evaluation of the player and coaching staff without any information. Geez.

Recruiting is based on Need, coaching evaluations and fit. It is not based on, who is recruiting this player or why isn't this team not recruiting him. You just made an evaluation of the player and coaching staff without any information. Geez.
I’ve been following recruiting for 17 years. There’s no way to KNOW if a player will work out or if he won’t, but the offer list is as good of an indicator as anything. When a kid isn’t being pursued by his in-state schools, odds are he’s not that good. There are exceptions, of course; Patrick Willis, Randall Cobb, Cameron Sutton... hopefully Thomas is one of those exceptions. I hear what you’re saying about recruiting to a system, but when you’re talking about a safety I think everyone is looking for pretty much the same thing... a long rangy instinctive guy who can cover and tackle in space.

Reactions: vettefool
The issue with some of you guys that come across as “negavols” is that you immediately look at a players star ranking & what schools offered a kid. If the offer list doesn’t contain Bama, UGA & the kids instate school then in you guys mind the kid is awful. How about you take a second watch his hudl film & then make adjustment, Bama and UGA can’t sign every kid bro.
How about you stop pretending like you know what’s in my mind.

I’ve been following recruiting for 17 years. There’s no way to KNOW if a player will work out or if he won’t, but the offer list is as good of an indicator as anything. When a kid isn’t being pursued by his in-state schools, odds are he’s not that good. There are exceptions, of course; Patrick Willis, Randall Cobb, Cameron Sutton... hopefully Thomas is one of those exceptions. I hear what you’re saying about recruiting to a system, but when you’re talking about a safety I think everyone is looking for pretty much the same thing... a long rangy instinctive guy who can cover and tackle in space.

Another indicator is the amount of time invested on a player after your staff has done their own evaluation. Of course we have no idea what positon or role they are projecting these guys for. timing is another factor, picking up a player after signing day, and now after portal guys come off the board is probably more of a risk than when approaching early signing day. But sometimes even the late guys can be real players if they are waiting on grades before investing a counter on a player. Rare when outsiders know how a staff RANKS players on their boards. Not all that caught up about in state offer status either. Sometimes kids have shared early they have no interest, sometimes they are not at a position of need and making an offer can cost in state riff if they accept an offer schools would prefer to allocate differently.

Reactions: bpalmer28

So what is the point. If we offered it really doesn't matter how many stars the Kid has...The Coach's decision.
Recruiting Services don''t know everything and don't catch everything. They are evaluating 50000+ kids and some of the ratings are based on Media evaluations and politics.
Portal fixes Immediate Needs
HS Recruits will fix long term Depth and allow for development.
It is more than the long rangy instinctive guy who can cover and tackle in space.
How may offer's do you think teams make to kids. 150 to 200?
looking at a list of a kid's offer list is just buying into the recruiting services and not the staff.
Neither one of us know, Trust the Coach's.

Last edited:
Don’t forget there was once a recruit named Al Wilson who was a safety when he came to Knoxville

Same for Kevin Burnett.

Also had a few RBs turn into pretty good LBs: Eddie Moore, George Kidd, Chris Ramseur (before his dismissal…I’m convinced he would have been a stud heir apparent to Al Wilson), Jesse Sanders, Eric Westmoreland, and Dominique Stevenson.

So what is the point. If we offered it really doesn't matter how many stars the Kid has...The Coach's decision.
Recruiting Services don''t know everything and don't catch everything. They are evaluating 50000+ kids and some of the ratings are based on Media evaluations and politics.
Portal fixes Immediate Needs
HS Recruits will fix long term Depth and allow for development.
It is more than the long rangy instinctive guy who can cover and tackle in space.
How may offer's do you think teams make to kids. 150 to 200?
looking at a list of a kid's offer list is just buying into the recruiting services and not the staff.
Neither one of us know, Trust the Coach's.

Just adding to your point - cultural fit is another thing. It seems more important to Heupel than most and it’s easy to see why. He’s not going to simply take the best athlete. He’s looking for guys with the right attitude.

I believe Keith Bullock was a 3 star Athelitic Safety who went to Syracuse and became a big time LB. He will play Special Teams next year while he develops into what ever position he settles into. Be interested in how he does at AL Miss Att Star game when he has a lot of eyes on him. In CHRIST Alone
You just reminded me of Al Wilson, who came here as a safety in high school and transformed into linebacker.

I’m pretty sure Al Wilson was a RB while at JCM. I also thought he played LB while there, but I could be wrong about that.

He played Safely and FB. Wesley Barlow played TB and ran almost a 4.3 40 time.

That’s true. Was also a state champ in the shot put I believe
I worked a track meet at USJ he was in. Won the 100, 200, Long Jump, and Shot put that I remembered. Phenomenal athlete, really fun to see how versatile he was in person at that age.

Reactions: Stacmot

VN Store

Back