'21 AL RB Jaylin White

The 5-foot-10.5, 176-pound White visited Tennessee for the first time Nov. 30 to attend the Vols’ regular-season finale against Vanderbilt. When he returned there Saturday, he said, he “finally got the chance to tour the practice fields, weight room” and some of Tennessee’s other facilities that he didn’t see during his first visit.

“I loved how all the coaches showed me love and how they answered each question I asked,” said White, who also holds offers from South Carolina, Mississippi State and Memphis.

Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt, defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley and Joe Osovet, the Vols’ director of programming for football, all spent time with White while he was on campus and told him that they envision him playing a major role for them on offense, and perhaps even on special teams.

“They were telling me how much of a big part I could be on the offensive side of the ball, and also in the return game, and answered all of my questions on the academic side,” White said. “They said my playing style goes right along with their offensive style.”

While it’s still early in the recruiting process for White, he said the Vols already are one of the teams standing out to him. “I love Tennessee as a school,” he said. “They also have a great culture around campus. They have a very, very high graduation rate. I also love the vibes around school and friendly nature. “I could not give you a specific spot,” White added, “but they are very high on the list.”

White said he plans to visit South Carolina on Saturday and Alabama on Feb. 1, and he’s scheduled to travel to Florida State on March 7. He said it won’t be long before he visits Tennessee again, too, adding that he will be “around there (during) spring practice.” “I’ll be back in Tennessee,” White said.

For now, White said he’s in no hurry to decide on a college, and he believes he’s still several months away from making his choice. “The decision will most likely be after the season,” he said.

Entering the weekend, Jaylin White had Tennessee on top of his list, followed by South Carolina. Two SEC teams were in the lead for the 2022 running back out of Dothan (Ala.), but that was before White took his first visit to Tallahassee. Florida State offered White late last week, just days before the visit, and once he got a feel for the program, the Seminoles moved to the top. "My visit to Florida State was great and they are now my top school," said White. "Memphis offered me early, so coach Mike Norvell already knew me. He offered me again last week and we just worked things back in again now that he is at Florida State.
"I kind of already knew coach Norvell, I know what he likes in me and he and the staff there was treating me like I am a top back in the nation. "I like coach Norvell a lot. He is about business on and off the field. He spent a lot of time with me, we talked about a lot of things and he is just a great guy. "I really liked my time with him, what I saw at the school, and the campus stood out to me. It is chill, it is laid back and I liked it a lot at Florida State." White is in no rush to make a decision, but he is looking to make it after his junior football season. He feels he will be committed by this time next year.
-Chad Simmons

Last edited:

VN Store

Back