‘23 AL OT Vysen Lang (Tennessee commit)

Were you ever the tallest kid in grade school? Did you ever tower over your classmates at 6-foot-3 in the eighth grade? “I’ve always been the biggest and tallest guy in my class,” Lang told Volquest. “I really hit a growth spurt in about sixth grade and now I’m 6-foot-5, 333 pounds. I started gaining the weight as I grew, but really molded it in the weight room.” You can’t coach size and obviously the 2023 prospect has it – a lot of it. With the unique frame developed early on, Lang was presented the opportunity to start on the offensive line for the varsity football team as an eighth grader. “I’ve been playing for a while – mostly at left tackle but I can play right as well,” Lang said. “I love the freedom of playing on the left side. In pass sets, it’s usually a 1-on-1 battle and you’ll see who the better man is. “My coach told me that if you’re on the left side of the line, you’re probably the team’s best tackle. When I took over left tackle, I felt like I accomplished something at an early age, but I know I have more to improve on.” After two solid years starting on the offensive line for Pike Road as an eighth and ninth grader, Lang began to get noticed, and not just by area small colleges or those reigning from the FCS level, but from Power 5 programs as well.
“I had just been offered by Georgia Tech and then my coach told me I had another offer from Tennessee. I was shocked,” Lang admitted. “It was a roller coaster. I mean, I’m surprised to get offered by these types of schools this early, but I’ve been working hard.” Vols defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley was the one who made the call. On speaker phone with Lang’s high school coach and parents, Ansley hit it off with the family. “Coach Ansley seemed like he had a lot in common with my dad,” Lang said. “They knew a lot of the same people, so it was good right off the bat.” “They believed in me first. That will hold a lot of weight with me moving forward in the recruiting process. Those two schools will definitely be contenders.” “I’ve worked hard so far, but I have a long way to go,” Lang foreshadowed. “I’ve got to work on my foot work and hand placement. My kick step needs to be more aggressive going against those defensive ends off the edge.”
The offensive lineman plans to visit Tennessee as soon as recruits gain clearance from the NCAA to travel on campuses. Lang is eager to learn more about the Volunteer program and is excited to meet up with a familiar face when on campus. “I know James Robinson, who just signed up there,” Lang said. “His brother is a year older than me and they would always watch us play growing up. He used to coach me up and we’ve worked out together before.” Lang has a lot of developing to do between now and when he eventually signs, but the 15-year-old is off to a great start. After all, you can’t coach size. “I’m always focusing on bettering myself,” Lang concluded. “I know the offers are going to start coming in, but I’ve got to remain humble, keep my head down and keep working.”
-VQ

Glad we got in early on this dude, great potential in the coming years. He will probably be the biggest guy on campus at college also first day, wherever he goes. I doubt he is done growing.

VN Store

Back