‘23 AL DB Dakaari Nelson (Penn State commit)

Mississippi State, Auburn, LSU and Michigan have been the four schools most involved with the four-star safety from Selma, Ala. Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Arkansas are three other SEC programs that have caught Nelson’s attention early on.

- Rivals

Reactions: VolByLaw
Initial eye-catchers from the Pylon Atlanta tournament (March 12):

DB DaKaari Nelson – Nelson actually first kind of made a name for himself at this same tournament a year ago, but the Top247 safety out of Selma (Ala.) once again found a way to turn some heads as he made a number of big catches for Gas Crew Elite while doubling as a wide receiver. Nelson, who is primarily known for his range and ability to chew up grass with his long stride, was quick to point out as he walked off the field that he actually scored plenty of times on offense as a junior. That’s notable because coaches are always looking for big bodies with ball skills that can make plays on the back end of a defense, and Nelson appears to be just that heading into his senior season. Nelson is expected to name a top 10 on March 25. It sounds like Clemson, Penn State and Tennessee will all make the cut as all three programs have gotten Nelson on campus recently and seem to be giving him plenty to think about at this stage in the process. Georgia is set to get Nelson on campus Sunday. Oregon also recently got involved in the recruitment.

From Rivals:

IN HIS OWN WORDS
Yes, Nelson released a Top11 but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a few schools currently sticking out a little more than the others. He caught up with Rivals prior to the release to discuss why Clemson, Tennessee, Penn State, and Florida State are currently sticking out in his mind a little more than the others.

Clemson: "I love how they have a family atmosphere there. With them being such a well known coaching staff, they are very social, very humble people. It’s also a great campus, because it gives me that down south vibe. It’s a big school but everything else around it reminds me of Alabama."

Tennessee: "I have been up there twice and they are sticking out because of how long and consistent they have been in contact. Tennessee was my fourth offer and my first SEC offer. They have been keeping in close contact with not only me, but my family too through this whole process. That is very important to me as I work towards a decision."

Penn State: "I went up there when they played Rutgers last fall and really enjoyed it. They also really recruit my family too, not just me. They do a very good job just checking on them and staying in contact, not even coming through me, they just check in with them. They also treated my family really well when we were up there for the game. The distance from home doesn’t bother me much because I do plan on playing at the highest level and you never know what NFL team is going to draft you. So I have no problem playing up north and getting used to the weather if that’s how it all goes."

Florida State: "The crazy part about it, they weren’t going to be in my top list when I made it, but then after I visited I added them. The energy the coaching staff brought was big. When Coach Norvell came in the room talking to us, he came in with a lot of energy and when we had our 1-on-1 talk I liked his vision for me if I did decide to come there."

Nelson most recently visited Tennessee on March 5 to attend one of its junior days. He told GoVols247 last month that he again came away impressed after a “great” visit with the Vols.

He has yet to attend one of Tennessee’s home football games at Neyland Stadium. But he said experiencing the environment inside Thompson-Boling Arena last month during the Vols’ basketball game against Arkansas gave him a better feel for their fan base, and that’s just one of the reasons he’s high on Tennessee.

“It was great,” Nelson said at the time. “I just had to come experience it. I missed football season, so I had to come experience the basketball (game).

“It’s a huge fan base. The energy in the building was amazing.”

He said last month that he likes Tennessee because of “how consistent they’ve been keeping in contact and how well they talk to my family, and not just me.” But that’s not the only explanation for why the Vols have caught Nelson’s attention.

“I like how big the fan base is and how good the games are, because I’ve heard a lot about Tennessee games,” he said last month. “And, plus, how it’s kind of a country city and it kind of reminds me of home, like where I’m at now. I watched them this season, and I liked how they played. They kept close with a lot of good teams.”

According to 247Sports' official evaluation of him, written by national recruiting analyst Cooper Petagna, Nelson "projects as an above-average, multi-year starter at a Power Five program."

"Verified at 6-foot-2 and (190-plus) pounds, appears to possess the growth potential to add additional weight to his frame," Petagna wrote. "Three-phase player, displays above average athleticism in all phases of the game.

"Positioned the majority of snaps at the safety position, also sees some time at the corner position. Flashes some good feel and instincts as a press-man defender. Wins with physicality and length at the point of attack. Long speed to play the deep part of the field is somewhat of a concern, but shows the ability to add coverage ability in the short to intermediate part of the field. Displays excellent ball production and awareness. Recorded 8 INTs in his junior season, in addition to two pick-6s. Limited sample size as a tackler on film, but flashes some physicality at the point of attack.

"Position projection will depend on physical growth but skill set points to playing closer to the line of scrimmage in a hybrid safety-backer role at the next level. Physical traits translate to playing more in the box with ability to play sideline to sideline and be of value in the passing game as a coverage defender. Projects as an above average multi-year starter at a Power Five program at the next level and will add value on multiple special teams units."
-Callahan

90% sure this kid will end up at LB. How about him, CJ Allen, and Bradley? I'd take it...

90% sure this kid will end up at LB. How about him, CJ Allen, and Bradley? I'd take it...
If you watch his highlights, he plays a lot of press man coverage in his high school's defensive scheme. He's able to flip his hips very naturally and run with receivers. He's also a track guy. I think they (our staff) envision him as a bigger version of Theo Jackson, who I think was the best and most consistent player on our defense last season. This is just my opinion though.

VN Store

Back