'21 AL CB Edwin White

So we believe CJP is accepting offers now that he knows he’ll back out on later? How would that not be lying to recruits?

I mean, I get processing happens as the recruiting landscape changes, but it’s usually no more than a couple guys. Normally if a higher rated guy is interested, you don’t accept a commitment from anyone else.

For clarity, I’m not suggesting CJP is lying, I’m suggesting he may not intend on revoking any of these commitments. He’s not the kind of guy to pull the rug out from a kid in the 11th hour and leave him stranded on signing day.
I hate it, but unless your Clemson and can demand they shutdown their recruiting if you accept their commitment, coaches don't know who will honor their commitment. It's like a chess game of moving players around on your list while players move around to schools. Players usually move on when they think too many better players at their position are committed. But this year I don't think they were expecting as many top level recruits to want to jump in this early, and they are expecting some to decommitt when they visit other schools. So we really don't know who will be in the class in December. But the coaches have players they want ranked and will keep the highest ranked ones. AV made it sound like they have a plan of how to handle it the best way possible.

So we believe CJP is accepting offers now that he knows he’ll back out on later? How would that not be lying to recruits?

I mean, I get processing happens as the recruiting landscape changes, but it’s usually no more than a couple guys. Normally if a higher rated guy is interested, you don’t accept a commitment from anyone else.

For clarity, I’m not suggesting CJP is lying, I’m suggesting he may not intend on revoking any of these commitments. He’s not the kind of guy to pull the rug out from a kid in the 11th hour and leave him stranded on signing day.

Things can change, and I haven't heard that kids have been misled. I expect that the staff is straight with the recruits, and explains what can happen, and the circumstances and developments that will affect it. Meanwhile, a major SEC commitment should only help a kid's offer list, and I'd think UT would do its best to help a kid find a good landing spot, if he has to move on.

Fair enough. Still seems wrong to take several kids knowing you’ll be pushing them out later. Plus that’s just bad press when these kids do get pressed to decommit. Headline: “TN 2021 class loses 6th commit” etc.

Happens everywhere especially if you want to be a top tier program. In time, the staff can be more selective, but many takes were before all of the momentum began. Don’t worry too much about the perception or headlines.

Reactions: KokoBVol
Was just watching Doneiko Slaughter’s film again (fresh off that ban-worthy bump). Kid is electric, pops off the screen in every clip.

That got me thinking about numbers, and the recent discussions around this kid. So I watched his film again right after Doneiko’s.

They are just not the same caliber player on film. Edwin’s film just doesn’t really compare. Just my observation, and obviously JMO.

Was just watching Doneiko Slaughter’s film again (fresh off that ban-worthy bump). Kid is electric, pops off the screen in every clip.

That got me thinking about numbers, and the recent discussions around this kid. So I watched his film again right after Doneiko’s.

They are just not the same caliber player on film. Edwin’s film just doesn’t really compare. Just my observation, and obviously JMO.
They play different positions. Slaughter is more of a star who lays the lumber and has the speed to cover man. White is a SS in the mold of jaylen McCullough. Not great speed but a ball hawk. Maybe he isn’t an elite safety idk but his production is excellent

They play different positions. Slaughter is more of a star who lays the lumber and has the speed to cover man. White is a SS in the mold of jaylen McCullough. Not great speed but a ball hawk. Maybe he isn’t an elite safety idk but his production is excellent
Give me a break. They are both DB’s that are roughly the same size.

They should both jump off the screen in their HS film vs HS competition.

One does. One does not. All I’m saying.

JMO, but if we recruit over him, that's not a bad thing. Yeah, I hate the idea of taking a kid's commit then pushing him out later, but that's CFB. If you can get better, you get better. And working against the numbers you also have to make sure you fill your needs. So if this kid has to be encouraged to look elsewhere at some point so we can squeeze in a need OL or DL, that's a possibility as well. End of the day, Pruitt is gonna do what's best for the team. I trust that. Even if it means losing a player some may love. He knows what works best for his system and this team, and he'll do whatever it takes to build a contender.

Fair enough. Still seems wrong to take several kids knowing you’ll be pushing them out later. Plus that’s just bad press when these kids do get pressed to decommit. Headline: “TN 2021 class loses 6th commit” etc.
Our last 3 classes had 14, 9, and 21 decommits. Happens every year

Pruitt loves him because of the interceptions. He always says if you don’t intercept the ball on Friday you won’t on Sat
I love that sort of talk. Just straightforward. The dudes making plays on Sunday were they same dudes making plays on Saturday who were the same dudes making plays on Friday! Now go get em, coach!

Agreed.

I wonder how hard we are recruiting Dink Johnson. In his top schools and plays safety

I think Pruitt probably feels that he only has half a class right now. We have some guys that are longtime commits that won't be signing with us.

6 total that are currently committed will be given permission to look around i think.
Not because they are bad prospects, but because we are legitimately in on so many better players. Elite players.

Reactions: TrippieRedd

Two people look at the same film and have opposite opinions. I do see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. How many INT's did Slaughter have in HS? How many tackles did Slaughter make where the ball carrier was destroyed? Who closed best while the deep ball was in the air. Slaughter's speed did stand out, but he doesn't hit near as hard as White and I didn't see him as a ball hawk--very good defender, but not a ball hawk. Slaughter is faster, but I would take White over Slaughter because he's in the right place more often, and really hits hard--much better tackler. White is coached by Alabama coaching legend Terry Curtis, 2019 National High School Coach of the Year--without question the best HS coach I have ever seen. That speaks to White's character and leadership. Optionality (something Pruitt values): If White puts on more weight, he could be a very good OLB, in the mold of Eric Westmoreland, one of the best Vol OLB's ever who was a safety in HS. I don't see Slaughter having that optionality. White is a keeper.

Reactions: FïreBall
Two people look at the same film and have opposite opinions. I do see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree. How many INT's did Slaughter have in HS? How many tackles did Slaughter make where the ball carrier was destroyed? Who closed best while the deep ball was in the air. Slaughter's speed did stand out, but he doesn't hit near as hard as White and I didn't see him as a ball hawk--very good defender, but not a ball hawk. Slaughter is faster, but I would take White over Slaughter because he's in the right place more often, and really hits hard--much better tackler. White is coached by Alabama coaching legend Terry Curtis, 2019 National High School Coach of the Year--without question the best HS coach I have ever seen. That speaks to White's character and leadership. Optionality (something Pruitt values): If White puts on more weight, he could be a very good OLB, in the mold of Eric Westmoreland, one of the best Vol OLB's ever who was a safety in HS. I don't see Slaughter having that optionality. White is a keeper.
We’ll see

He should stand out in his HS film. He doesn’t.
What do you have to do to stand out? 9 INT his Jr. year. Bone-jarring tackles. Blocks punts, blocks kicks. I encourage you to look at all the film clips of our 3* prospects and tell me White's is not as good or better than all the rest. The kid is a player.

What do you have to do to stand out? 9 INT his Jr. year. Bone-jarring tackles. Blocks punts, blocks kicks. I encourage you to look at all the film clips of our 3* prospects and tell me White's is not as good or better than all the rest. The kid is a player.
Ok

VN Store

Back