'21 AL CB Edwin White

Another 3 star DB .. hope Ansley is here to coach them up .. I think if they see good qualities in them ...like turn and run , swivel hip , speed and physicality and not shy of contact .. they can be developed whatever star they are . Gotta trust CJP and CDA ..

The Class of 2021 safety from UMS-Wright Preparatory School in Mobile, Ala., who committed to Tennessee on Saturday during his visit for the Vols’ junior day, shows “an unreal knack for being around the football,” 247Sports director of scouting Barton Simmons said. “When I turned on Edwin White’s film, I couldn’t stop watching it,” Simmons said of White, who’s ranked the No. 42 safety in the 2021 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

“He’s a layered prospect, and I think you have to watch a lot of his film to get a good feel for all of the elements to his game. He’s got an unreal knack for being around the football with a ton of right-place, right-time interceptions. I also really like his physicality and ability to deliver a violent blow but stay under control.

“He does everything from a production standpoint that you want out of a safety. He’s a tackler, returns kicks, turns you over, seeks out the big play. He’s not an elite athlete, but at the risk of sounding cliché, he’s a football player.”

White said Saturday that he chose Tennessee over Kansas and South Florida, along with offers from Ole Miss and Mississippi State, among others. But the Vols identified him early, jump-starting his recruitment with an offer less than a week after he wrapped up his freshman season, and have watched him develop into a playmaker on defense.

White finished his junior season with nine interceptions, six pass breakups, four fumble recoveries and a blocked field goal, along with four tackles for loss. “He picked off nine passes as a junior, so he is a guy that was around the football a ton,” 247Sports director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong said of White. “He is a playmaker in the secondary that has instincts, just has a nose for where the quarterback’s going with the football and puts himself in position to make plays.

“I mean, he’s a tone-setter back there, too. He’ll come down and fill an alley and come up in run support. But the thing that really stands out about him is just how he tracks the football and makes plays on it. And then, after the interception, he’s a threat, man, once he’s got the ball in his hands.

“I would imagine he’s among the national leaders in interceptions. When you’re recruiting defensive backs, I’m big on recruiting guys that force turnovers because, if they don’t force turnovers in high school, how do you expect them to force them in college? And this kid picked off nine passes last year and got his hands on several more.”

Sweet, it always feels good to beat heavyweights Kansas and South Florida on the recruiting trail. :eek:

I know, I know, trust the coaches....
Almost impossible to quantify that "right place right time" db but man is it good to have them out there.

Sweet, it always feels good to beat heavyweights Kansas and South Florida on the recruiting trail. :eek:

I know, I know, trust the coaches....

I think this is really Dooley. He is still mad for the broken leg he got while here. So many of our fans are just never happy and have really short memories about the last recruiting class. I bet this kid jumps in rank this year like many that UT jumped on early that people like this questions. This guy knows how to evaluate talent.
giphy.gif

You guys cannot trust the ratings at this point. (Or ever???) They aren't set in stone; they change based on how many offers recruits get, they change based on whether or not the recruit camps, etc... Come on. Watch the film. Be happy with a baller who makes interceptions and hits people like a cinder block in a pillow case.

Would anybody rather have an elite athlete than a real football player?..of course everybody wants elite athletes that are real football players...there just aren't that many of them.

I immediately think back to ole Reggie Grimes; elite athlete, but it didn't show up on the field. Id much rather have a guy that balls out on the field rather than at camps or during warm-ups.

VN Store

Back