Al Brown on Campus

With as many trips that Teonni has made to see sis play .... Is she a lock to commit or what ? Does anyone have any knowledge about mom wanting the sisters to play together? I remember Jaz telling the coaches to concentrate on other recruits and not worry about her..... she was coming and wanted a good class to come in with her ! Just wondering? 🤷‍♂️🙏
I’m sure it would be a lot easier on mama if she goes to Tennessee, but she’s going to let her make her own decision and wants her to enjoy the recruiting process. With Re graduating and Rae as a senior, Teonni would get plenty of playing time right off the bat

Reactions: GameTime and lvocd
I’m sure it would be a lot easier on mama if she goes to Tennessee, but she’s going to let her make her own decision and wants her to enjoy the recruiting process. With Re graduating and Rae as a senior, Teonni would get plenty of playing time right off the bat
I think the fit is good

Coach, keep your head up.....

Just because coach Kellie has chosen an old mentor to help her for now, does not rule you out for future considerations....A coach is sometimes only as successful as her assistants allow them to be. Teamwork, from coaches and players, is everything in organized sports.

I'll continue to keep good thoughts for you coach.

Al Brown spent seven years with Tennessee, a period in which the Lady Vols went 224-29, including Harper's years playing point guard. If Harper thinks he can help her and the program, well, she of all people would know. I recall he handled film analysis, scouting, worked with post players, and was given some strong credit by a number of folks in and around the athletic department as being a real contributor to their success.

Coach, keep your head up.....

Just because coach Kellie has chosen an old mentor to help her for now, does not rule you out for future considerations....A coach is sometimes only as successful as her assistants allow them to be. Teamwork, from coaches and players, is everything in organized sports.

I'll continue to keep good thoughts for you coach.

As Jimmy V says, Never, ever, give up.

I don't.
and haven't.
;)
I hope he sees what I see. If so, then the job gets done.

That's all I want GameTime,,,what's the best for the players and program.
Which means, the best coaching and coaching influences.
Be it me or someone else, long as it is getting done.

There's no PE in me GT...Coach K is making attempts to get insights from others.
This is the mark of a wise leader
As long as those insights cover things like alternative uses for timeouts...I am content to sit back and watch

Reactions: FabSmokyVol
Brown has taken a consultant position for the Lady Vols and will advise Harper. Brown, who was known for his relentless scouting of opponents and note-taking, still makes his home in Knoxville and has been seen at Lady Vol games on multiple occasions over the years. The position is a non-coaching one and can’t include any instruction of players or on-court actions.

what does it include?

Brown has taken a consultant position for the Lady Vols and will advise Harper. Brown, who was known for his relentless scouting of opponents and note-taking, still makes his home in Knoxville and has been seen at Lady Vol games on multiple occasions over the years. The position is a non-coaching one and can’t include any instruction of players or on-court actions.

what does it include?

Likely unpaid, FWIW. He's retired and looking for ways to fill the hours.

He can watch video with players and coaches, and can be present at practice but can't provide any direct coaching to players. Most of what he will do is self-scout the current team. Once you're in season, the bulk of what the full-time coaches are doing is crafting gameplans for upcoming opponents and scripting practices to prepare those plans. Typically, one staff member will self-scout, but having someone with the expertise that Brown has doing that is a huge advantage. Especially when you're talking about one of the greatest coaches in the game when it comes to scouting. He'll tell the coaches how he would play Tennessee with the personnel that coming opponents have and help them craft gameplans to counter that.

He'll also help them scout recruits on film.

Likely unpaid, FWIW. He's retired and looking for ways to fill the hours.

He can watch video with players and coaches, and can be present at practice but can't provide any direct coaching to players. Most of what he will do is self-scout the current team. Once you're in season, the bulk of what the full-time coaches are doing is crafting gameplans for upcoming opponents and scripting practices to prepare those plans. Typically, one staff member will self-scout, but having someone with the expertise that Brown has doing that is a huge advantage. Especially when you're talking about one of the greatest coaches in the game when it comes to scouting. He'll tell the coaches how he would play Tennessee with the personnel that coming opponents have and help them craft gameplans to counter that.

He'll also help them scout recruits on film.

Thanks for the breakdown DP.
Appreciate that

I don't know when Brown started helping but whatever happened that made us give up 80 points to Kentucky is not the gameplan we need. Just when I was starting to have some confidence that we were at least good defensively we have this total disaster.

Coach Brown was on a sports radio show this afternoon giving his assessment of the men and women's basketball teams.....The man is quite informed and expresses himself very well....

When asked what is the one thing a player, either man or woman, can do to be a better player, he gave several strong answers, but he kept going back to have the player watch videos of themselves making the mistakes that led to the needless turnovers, or wasted possessions. He was adamant about this.

He really likes Key and thinks, with the proper motivation and teaching, she can become the dominate force the Lady Vols need to become elite again. In short, she is the key!

Listening to him give advise and opinions, I can see why Kellie wanted him helping her. He is an ace that can only help.

Coach Brown was on a sports radio show this afternoon giving his assessment of the men and women's basketball teams.....The man is quite informed and expresses himself very well....

When asked what is the one thing a player, either man or woman, can do to be a better player, he gave several strong answers, but he kept going back to have the player watch videos of themselves making the mistakes that led to the needless turnovers, or wasted possessions. He was adamant about this.

He really likes Key and thinks, with the proper motivation and teaching, she can become the dominate force the Lady Vols need to become elite again. In short, she is the key!

Listening to him give advise and opinions, I can see why Kellie wanted him helping her. He is an ace that can only help.

is there a link to a replay?

Need to keep an eye on this next three or four games see if we see improvement in certain aspects of the game. I thought help side defense was really good although Ole Miss is easy to stop. Everyone had a better looking free throw stroke in this game. Defensive communication was better than Tennessee's had in a long time.

Guys, a couple other things I remember from coach Brown's comments concerning the Lady Vols....

He had followed Key while she was in high school, but he thought Key was not motivated to be a better player, and he was not even sure she was going to continue her basketball career...He was very pleased she continued playing basketball, and has very high hopes at how good she can become. He really, really likes her.

He was livid talking about how Howard was not even offered a scholarship...He said it was a golden opportunity to get a tremendous player that had been a Lady Vol fan her entire life, but the former coaching staff had no interest in her...He was baffled why they did not want her....He went back to that subject a few times.

As I stated in another post, he said having players watch what they are doing right and wrong, via game videos, is a tremendous tool in modern day coaching...He did say if a person sees the mistake they made, and why they made it, it will help them become a much better player than just telling them what they did right or wrong...They are less likely to make that same mistake again and again...

After listening to coach Brown speak, my opinion of Kellie went up quite a bit. Bringing him in to help her, will pay big dividends and help her become a better coach. And that will be good for all of us.

Guys, a couple other things I remember from coach Brown's comments concerning the Lady Vols....

He had followed Key while she was in high school, but he thought Key was not motivated to be a better player, and he was not even sure she was going to continue her basketball career...He was very pleased she continued playing basketball, and has very high hopes at how good she can become. He really, really likes her.

He was livid talking about how Howard was not even offered a scholarship...He said it was a golden opportunity to get a tremendous player that had been a Lady Vol fan her entire life, but the former coaching staff had no interest in her...He was baffled why they did not want her....He went back to that subject a few times.

As I stated in another post, he said having players watch what they are doing right and wrong, via game videos, is a tremendous tool in modern day coaching...He did say if a person sees the mistake they made, and why they made it, it will help them become a much better player than just telling them what they did right or wrong...They are less likely to make that same mistake again and again...

After listening to coach Brown speak, my opinion of Kellie went up quite a bit. Bringing him in to help her, will pay big dividends and help her become a better coach. And that will be good for all of us.

If you like him, GT, I am closer to being sold

Reactions: FabSmokyVol

The crazy part is the player herself said she wasn’t interested in being a Lady Vol. That has come from the horses mouth several of times so why are we not believing what the player is saying ? I am upset we didn’t get in on her before her senior year!! But why do people keep saying we missed a golden opportunity when she herself has said she wasn’t ever interested or wanted to be a Lady Vol.

Do we think Rhyne is just talking to talk and maybe secretly she wanted to be a Lady Vol or are we saying we missed a chance to change her mind?

She was raised by a mother who didn’t like the Lady Vols because they basically beat her team’s a$$ repeatedly while she was at Florida playing 😂😂😂. Growing up hearing that I can’t help but to think that had a part in her not wanting to be a Lady Vol😂 So besides the previous coaching staff I guess we should blame Pat for not recruiting her mom to TN😂

Her finalist were Kentucky, South Car. and Louisville.

Last edited:
Coach I want you there too.....You could be coach Brown's Robin to his Batman, until he retires, and then you are Batman....It's a natural fit!

Your knowledge of the women's game, added to Coach Brown's experience, would be atomic...Coach Brown does not seem to have a wild ego, and I know you are not selfishly driven either.

Someone from the Lady Vols will call you sometime, and ask you to come by for a cup of coffee, and talk some Lady Vol ball.

There was a Wolf Moon last night, and there is a poem about the cow jumping over the moon....The operative word is jump....Coach Jumper...It's a natural fit.

Reactions: Coach Jumper

VN Store

Back