Al Borges details coaching, developing quarterbacks and how it relates to Guarantano

Borges details how he coaches and develops quarterbacks focusing on footwork, stance and having confidence. His breakdown of developing Jason Campbell relates to Jarrett Guarantano's not having the same traits and thinking too much.

Al Borges details coaching, developing quarterbacks

From my (somewhat untrained) eye, JG's mechanics regressed throughout the 2017 season. They improved during 2018 and they have regressed since then. His footwork was much better when we played Auburn in 2018 than what we've seen this year....

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Possible. Or it could simply be a lack of talent in that area. JG has been exposed to a number of coaches who have succeeded with other QB's. None have been able to "fix him" or slow the game down for him. He's a RS Sr and they're still "splitting the field" for him to simplify reads. They avoid the deep middle with him against good teams because he's always late. He also has a long delivery and tries to make up for it with velocity... kind of the opposite of Wuerffel years ago.

Want to see nearly perfect form? Watch Harrison Bailey he has been working on his passing fundamentals since he was 6 years old. He has had some one of the best personal coaches for years. Watch how high he hold the ball with two hands, tight to upper chest, how quickly he takes the ball back, quick over the top release, gets full hip rotation off his lead foot, superb arm mechanics, no wasted motion at all, a beautiful thing to watch.

Watch JG, he has so many issues, it is where to start. The most obvious is he continues to throw off his back foot, using mostly arm strength for velocity, but his accuracy is hit or miss because of his poor form. Takes way too long of a wind up and is one reason he is so often late delivering the ball, it just take too long from the time he decides to throw the ball and when he releases it.

Last edited:
Jason Campbell??? Borges should come up with a better example.

That's a fairly substantial jump in output from his junior to senior year.

jcampbellstats.png

Last edited:
Want to see nearly perfect form? Watch Harrison Bailey he has been working on his passing fundamentals since he was 6 years old. He has had some one of the best personal coaches for years. Watch how high he hold the ball with two hands, tight to upper chest, how quickly he takes the ball back, quick over the top release, gets full hip rotation off his lead foot, superb arm mechanics, no wasted motion at all, a beautiful thing to watch.

I agree on HB - to my untrained eye, he really looks so smooth when throwing. I watched a couple of his HS games and it is a thing of wonder to watch him. It looks like a how to training video.

Reactions: DonDiego
Got to hand it to Dan. I'm never sure exactly why, but he comes up with interviews from names I haven't thought of in years.

Reactions: VolinMC and Remy

Watch JG, he has so many issues, it is where to start. The most obvious is he continues to throw off his back foot, using mostly arm strength for velocity, but his accuracy is hit or miss because of his poor form. Takes way too long of a wind up and is one reason he is so often late delivering the ball, it just take too long from the time he decides to throw the ball and when he releases it.
What stands out about Bailey is there is no wasted movement and he doesn’t panic...which is unique considering his situation. He gets everybody lined up quickly but not too rushed leading to sloppy.

Reactions: OrangeTsar
One thing noticed about JG to start the season was his pre snap stance. His setup was much more trained than years past. That has went away
I hate him so much guys

I typed my reply then scrolled up to see this. This is exactly how I feel

What stands out about Bailey is there is no wasted movement and he doesn’t panic...which is unique considering his situation. He gets everybody lined up quickly but not too rushed leading to sloppy.

And how do you see all this skill and coolness in the short time we have had to see him, from his high school tapes that are or should be edited to show nothing but the good he has done. I say let us wait and see him "under fire" for awhile. Then proclaim his march to greatness.

Possible. Or it could simply be a lack of talent in that area. JG has been exposed to a number of coaches who have succeeded with other QB's. None have been able to "fix him" or slow the game down for him. He's a RS Sr and they're still "splitting the field" for him to simplify reads. They avoid the deep middle with him against good teams because he's always late. He also has a long delivery and tries to make up for it with velocity... kind of the opposite of Wuerffel years ago.
But he shoots imaginary arrows after his 1 or 2 good throws a game.
Where's the credit for the "cool" factor?

Sarcasm of course

Reactions: sjt18
That’s the issue bud. RS Senior.. what are we doing here ?

Reactions: sjt18
i
It’s pretty simple, JG can’t QB
I would slightly modify it to read that he can’t QB in the SEC. The DBs here are just too fast and capable. JG might have had a pretty solid career in a league not populated top to bottom with the very best defenders available. I can never blame JG for his heart or effort. I can blame the Coaches for continuing to put him in situations for which he is not equipped.

And how do you see all this skill and coolness in the short time we have had to see him, from his high school tapes that are or should be edited to show nothing but the good he has done. I say let us wait and see him "under fire" for awhile. Then proclaim his march to greatness.
It’s what I see. Feel free to do you. Let me proclaim “greatness” on my own timeline, since I haven’t previously.

Reactions: savannahfan
Imo it’s not mechanics. It’s 2 things...for one is the mental ability to process a lot of information quickly (ie knowing where the pressure is coming from and how long he has to hold the ball) and secondly...the athletic ability to make a quick move to avoid the pressure or stop his momentum when moving and make an accurate throw. It’s like he had concrete in his shoes.

VN Store

Back