‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

Why do people say this??? We talk about competing w/ Georgia but tell kids WE want, if they go to school X, they will be in the portal. If they can’t play at Georgia why do we want them here???
Only so many players get reps. UGA and Bama stockpile depth to a point that some of it is to remove good talent as an option to other programs…the ole Bear Bryant strategy.

I got the notification but he had already edited it. 😏
View attachment 477443
I said you say that posters say “cya in the portal” about UGA and Bama bc they stockpile talent (I’m summarizing), yet I read a bunch of that when FM committed to Miami.

I edited it bc I read through the convo more and didn’t think that was the main point of the back and forth + I had already questioned why everyone says the portal thing in the post right above it.

And that has earned me my rep for being negative.

Only so many players get reps. UGA and Bama stockpile depth to a point that some of it is to remove good talent as an option to other programs…the ole Bear Bryant strategy.
Don’t disagree.. But let’s look at the kids that don’t play at there current school.. The ones that don’t usually play at Georgia, also don’t play at the schools they transfer too, unless it’s a step down . Just my observation.

Lol I like how every guy going somewhere else will be “in the portal” in a couple years
Personally I don't think that's the case. But lots of players do enter the portal. Some seem to have been pretty obviously culled. Others though have talent and want a new opportunity. I think the way you recruit will give you a better shot at the quality players who do enter the portal.

For instance, we know there are more used car salesmen out there than Butch Jones. They'll get kids to commit with promises. It won't work out for many players... or the teams they commit to... or the coaches who made the promises. Guys who feel like they've been deceived might have a pretty strong inclination to go back to those who seemed more straight up.

Don’t disagree.. But let’s look at the kids that don’t play at there current school.. The ones that don’t usually play at Georgia, also don’t play at the schools they transfer too, unless it’s a step down . Just my observation.
Traditionally there’s been a lot of development time lost in the process. In the old system, you had at best a two year turnaround time before you even got STARTED. If you were stashed behind higher prioritized talent and consigned to career special teamer (but not informed…requires genuine honesty), by the time it dawned on you to look at other options you’re a 5th year senior. And don’t even think of going to ANY school other that whom your HC approves! That skewed the numbers and success stories imo. Already seeing players like Turrentine betting on themselves. Remember the DB that Pruitt prioritized after striking out on the two Cali 5 stars…(Eddie Smith I think)? Saban swooped in with a line dance and picked up that 3 star and promptly parked him on the roster. Their success/development were low odds because they were instant (expendable) afterthoughts. It’s why Saban/Kirby bucked against the portal change…not to their advantage.

Cool. More of the same garbage.

See you in the portal in a few years.

Screw that. We won’t have a need in a few years. Programs on the way up. If he goes in the portal, he will be looking at ETSU not UT. Make the right choice now because in a couple of years, we will be stacked and have no room.

I get what you’re saying
Why do people say this??? We talk about competing w/ Georgia but tell kids WE want, if they go to school X, they will be in the portal. If they can’t play at Georgia why do we want them here???
I get what you’re saying, but the schematic
advantage our offense gives us combined with the elite talent Georgia and Bama has if we can just get DBs that are good enough to be backups there we can start reeling off 10 win seasons. Then that will be enough to start signing top 5 classes a couple of years from now. Which is what will ultimately close the gap and get us back to where we were in the 90s and early 2000s

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Lol I like how every guy going somewhere else will be “in the portal” in a couple years
Not every guy, but on teams with depth like Bama and Georgia, someone is gonna be left out. It's numbers. Just because they're not quite good enough to start at one of those schools doesn't mean they're not good enough to start elsewhere, like here. If you take time to think about it and stop wasting time being purposely contrary, you'll realize the logic in it.

Reactions: MarcoVol
I get what you’re saying

I get what you’re saying, but the schematic
advantage our offense gives us combined with the elite talent Georgia and Bama has if we can just get DBs that are good enough to be backups there we can start reeling off 10 win seasons. Then that will be enough to start signing top 5 classes a couple of years from now. Which is what will ultimately close the gap and get us back to where we were in the 90s and early 2000s
I understand this logic. But I also think we can’t beat Georgia with their backups. If we could, they would be starting their. Like one of the posters says all the time, when we find the coach who can identify talent first, and develop, that coach will get us back. A kid like this is an example of that. Might not go our way, but this is a good indicator that this staff can identify talent. Hopefully, they can do this more than others.

VN Store

Back