‘23 AL CB Rickey Gibson (Tennessee commit)

The news of Matthews visit combined with this news isn't good news at all on the back end for us. We have to get better at CB no question to close the gap. If we miss on these two it'll be a huge blow to this class. Just look at the defensive recruits in the secondary bama and the mutts have compared to ours. I'm happy with what we have, but we defintely need a lockdown CB or two in this class on top of what we have.

Reactions: berryvol
The news of Matthews visit combined with this news isn't good news at all on the back end for us. We have to get better at CB no question to close the gap. If we miss on these two it'll be a huge blow to this class. Just look at the defensive recruits in the secondary bama and the mutts have compared to ours. I'm happy with what we have, but we defintely need a lockdown CB or two in this class on top of what we have.

Wait just a darn second. You mean high end recruits want to play for Bama and UGA?

Yep. Peal doesn't seem to be in a hurry and in fact will be in Raleigh visiting NCSU this weekend for their event. Also has a Michigan OV scheduled for mid Sept. So the other factor is whether UGA wants to wait on him or push for Gibson now, as a bird in hand. Then it's the ultimate question is if we can beat out UGA for him, straight up. We've been recruiting him longer and offered him earlier, he's been to Knoxville more than he has to Athens, but they're the defending champs.
Just like Edwards in hoops. Then UK made their move. If UGA pushes, we'll finish second again.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I know what you mean. We’re only getting studs at positions where it’s not necessarily needed and completely whiffing on studs at our positions of greatest need. I love what this staff was able to do last year in exceeding expectations, but at some point questions are going to be brought up on whether or not this staff is capable of building a roster that can compete for the East. Having a great offense only goes so far when you have what seems like 27 safeties and edge rushers on the roster and 2-3 CBs that aren’t very good and 2-3 solid LBs and interior DL. We’re just under 5 months away from ESD and we currently have ZERO CBs in this class only 2 LBs and no interior DL and top notch players at those positions don’t just magically pop up late in the recruiting cycle

Martinez highest rated DB recruits under Butch:

Nigel Warrior
Todd Kelly Jr.
Tyler Byrd
Marquis Osborne
Micah Abernathy
Justin Martin

Every kid on that list is a bust including Warrior considering he was a borderline top 50 player in the country.

Last edited:

Nigel Warrior
Todd Kelly Jr.
Tyler Byrd
Marquis Osborne
Micah Abernathy
Justin Martin

Every kid on that list is a bust including Warrior considering he was a borderline top 50 player in the country.
Tyler Byrd probably should have stayed a DB he single handedly wrecked the army all America game on defense. Then they switched him to WR almost immediately when he got to campus and then tried some DB under Pruitt before settling at WR. I would say that’s not really on Martinez. The others you have some arguments but not with Byrd IMO.

I’m really shocked they’re getting this much attention.
They only feed when they think there’s orange blood in the water. Less attention, less posting. They only feed when we turn on our own or chum the water. Sorry, I’m a big fan of shark week. I could easily turn it into a copperhead expedition and no, I don’t believe I see any copperheads. 😂

Reactions: SweetasSoda

Nigel Warrior
Todd Kelly Jr.
Tyler Byrd
Marquis Osborne
Micah Abernathy
Justin Martin

Todd Kelly Jr was good, just couldn't stay healthy consistently

he's had 5 dbs drafted in the last 2 years

I’m not saying the guy can’t develop NFL players but he has not proven that he can land blue chip DB’s and make them high draft picks. Guys we are after like Jakeem Jackson and Jordan Matthews could care less that he developed Theo Jackson into a sixth round pick.

Nigel Warrior
Todd Kelly Jr.
Tyler Byrd
Marquis Osborne
Micah Abernathy
Justin Martin

Ehhh, Butch had a development problem amongst every position group throughout the program. And it started with him treating S&C like the local Planet Fitness. I'll give Martinez a pass on the BJ era

Good to see you bud, I’ve said my peace on this one and a couple of others. Could be right or wrong, one could be wrong when they’re using the wrong bait 🙄. Anyway..... I always like to see good people (no, I refuse to use peeps, idiotic term).

Damn give this staff a chance. They been on the job for 18 months. Can't expect to bring in top 5 classes based off our past 10+ years. Development of these recruits is our best chance to compete until we produce on the field to get some of the elite kids.
It’s not that we’re mad about not having a top 5 class. They’ve not been able to simply get players to fill positions they need bodies at. With what we got last year in recruiting, and seeing that Heupel doesn’t need a generational QB to have an elite offense I would take Florida’s 2023 class over ours any day of the week right now. We only signed 2 CBs and LBs last year and 1 CB is a JUCO that apparently didn’t impress in spring, but got 4 WRs and 3 edge rushers. This year it’s been 3 high ranked edge rushers and no interior DL and another 2 LBs along with 4 safeties and no corners so far. I know they recruited Conyer as a corner, but he’s not one. They’re signing high profile players at the same position each year and failing to address depth much less high level talent at our greatest positions of need. I guess they’re at least getting impact players and not just accumulating bodies that won’t make a difference, but unless we kill it in the portal this upcoming off-season as well as next year we’re going to have a defense full of safeties and edge rushers with no way to stop the run or cover WRs or those LBs and CBs will be freshmen in year 4. Not only have they whiffed on players, but they just stopped pursuing some. Like what ever happened to Zack Myers who everyone said could play any position in the defensive backfield?

It’s not that we’re mad about not having a top 5 class. They’ve not been able to simply get players to fill positions they need bodies at. With what we got last year in recruiting, and seeing that Heupel doesn’t need a generational QB to have an elite offense I would take Florida’s 2023 class over ours any day of the week right now. We only signed 2 CBs and LBs last year and 1 CB is a JUCO that apparently didn’t impress in spring, but got 4 WRs and 3 edge rushers. This year it’s been 3 high ranked edge rushers and no interior DL and another 2 LBs along with 4 safeties and no corners so far. I know they recruited Conyer as a corner, but he’s not one. They’re signing high profile players at the same position each year and failing to address depth much less high level talent at our greatest positions of need. I guess they’re at least getting impact players and not just accumulating bodies that won’t make a difference, but unless we kill it in the portal this upcoming off-season as well as next year we’re going to have a defense full of safeties and edge rushers with no way to stop the run or cover WRs or those LBs and CBs will be freshmen in year 4. Not only have they whiffed on players, but they just stopped pursuing some. Like what ever happened to Zack Myers who everyone said could play any position in the defensive backfield?

Wow.
Ok.

You just talked about having too many safeties.. then you mention Zach Meyers?🙄. Strike ONE for you
He IS a safety or possession WR. The fact that you mentioned him playing CB means you can't qualify needed talent as you just argued for.

No interior DL? Hello Duncan and Weathersby! Strike TWO . Not to mention the guys added from 2022.

3rd, did you really just question...us taking a commitment from the best player in High school this year??? Because we don't need an elite QB?? What haha!? So a system built for a QB to succeed, and you think we shouldn't get the best possible QB???

What is wrong with you?

Nigel Warrior
Todd Kelly Jr.
Tyler Byrd
Marquis Osborne
Micah Abernathy
Justin Martin

He also had the best secondary in years statistic wise during the Butch years….. that’s the important part.

Reactions: onevol74
He also had the best secondary in years statistic wise during the Butch years….. that’s the important part.
That’s fair! I really do hope he can turn our secondary around. My question is more so if he can land the kind of players it will take to beat the big dawgs than his ability to coach.

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93

VN Store

Back