'21 AL ATH Malachi Bennett

Malachi Bennett already has lost track of the exact number of visits he has made to Tennessee’s campus.
“It’s a lot of times,” he said with a laugh.
The four-star Class of 2021 wide receiver from Fairfield (Ala.) High Preparatory School has been there at least a handful of times and has returned to Knoxville three times since getting a scholarship offer from the Vols in October, including his visit last month for their first junior day of the year.
The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Bennett said he expects to be back at Tennessee sometime this spring, and the Vols are one of two teams currently standing out to him, along with nearby UAB.
Bennett, who’s the nephew of former Vanderbilt standout and NFL wide receiver Earl Bennett, said there are multiple reasons Tennessee is “high” on his list among the more than a dozen schools now pursuing him.
“I know I’m going to Tennessee, too. I might go to their spring game. … I’m going to get back up there this spring.”
After attending the Vols’ homecoming game Nov. 2 against UAB and returning for their regular-season finale Nov. 30 against Vanderbilt — a game he left early because of a weather delay — Bennett traveled to Tennessee again Jan. 18 and said he enjoyed catching up with Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff while he was there.
“It went good. I got to spend more time with (wide receivers) coach Tee Martin,” said Bennett, who also has received offers from South Carolina, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech and Louisville, among others.
“(Martin) said he likes the way I attack the ball and my ball awareness and stuff, and how I can be, like, a good factor for the receiving room.”
During the visit, Bennett said, Martin showed him and the other wide-receiver prospects in attendance some practice film of “the drills they do to catch the ball and bring it close to their body without the defensive back getting the ball out.”

-247Sports
I got your back @Ron Swanson, I’ll try and post stuff when I see tidbits

The kid's film looks pretty good, but his offer list is underwhelming IMO. No in-state offers? Have to wonder how high he is on the board.

The kid's film looks pretty good, but his offer list is underwhelming IMO. No in-state offers? Have to wonder how high he is on the board.
you know how in most years you find out or hear about some player or group of players that winds up at podunk U, but winds up just being awesome...and you find yourself wondering, how'd that kid get missed by the big schools?

i look at some of these kids like that.....except they didn't get missed.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Malachi Bennett already has lost track of the exact number of visits he has made to Tennessee’s campus.
“It’s a lot of times,” he said with a laugh.
The four-star Class of 2021 wide receiver from Fairfield (Ala.) High Preparatory School has been there at least a handful of times and has returned to Knoxville three times since getting a scholarship offer from the Vols in October, including his visit last month for their first junior day of the year.
The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Bennett said he expects to be back at Tennessee sometime this spring, and the Vols are one of two teams currently standing out to him, along with nearby UAB.
Bennett, who’s the nephew of former Vanderbilt standout and NFL wide receiver Earl Bennett, said there are multiple reasons Tennessee is “high” on his list among the more than a dozen schools now pursuing him.
“They’re hard on education first, and I like that,” said the younger Bennett, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 298 overall prospect and No. 50 wide receiver in the 2021 class. “(I like) the way they’re trying to build the program back up. I like the environment for the games and stuff.”
The Vols are one of at least a few teams he’s hoping to visit this spring, starting with a scheduled trip to Florida State next weekend.
“I know I’m going to Florida State next Saturday, on (March) 7th,” Bennett said. “I’m supposed to be getting up to Kentucky, and I’m supposed to be going to Louisville for a spring practice.
“I know I’m going to Tennessee, too. I might go to their spring game. … I’m going to get back up there this spring.”
After attending the Vols’ homecoming game Nov. 2 against UAB and returning for their regular-season finale Nov. 30 against Vanderbilt — a game he left early because of a weather delay — Bennett traveled to Tennessee again Jan. 18 and said he enjoyed catching up with Vols coach Jeremy Pruitt’s staff while he was there.
“It went good. I got to spend more time with (wide receivers) coach Tee Martin,” said Bennett, who also has received offers from South Carolina, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech and Louisville, among others.
“(Martin) said he likes the way I attack the ball and my ball awareness and stuff, and how I can be, like, a good factor for the receiving room.”
During the visit, Bennett said, Martin showed him and the other wide-receiver prospects in attendance some practice film of “the drills they do to catch the ball and bring it close to their body without the defensive back getting the ball out.”
Bennett recently has talked a bit more frequently with Martin after former Tennessee assistant coach Kevin Sherrer, who served as Bennett’s area recruiter for the Vols, left to take a job with the NFL’s New York Giants.
“Coach Tee Martin, he texts me every now and then and stuff like that,” Bennett said. “We talk every week or so.”
One of Bennett’s teammates, Tennessee defensive line signee Reginald Perry, is a close friend who already has been trying to convince Bennett to play for the Vols.
“We’re very close from sports and stuff,” Bennett said of Perry. “We talk about (Tennessee) every day.”
Bennett also went to junior days Jan. 25 at UAB and Feb. 1 at Alabama before the start of the February dead period for recruiting.
He said he has been hearing from the home-state Crimson Tide “every now and then,” and he’s optimistic that he might “get an offer down the road.” If he does, he said “it would be a big deal” to him, but he would “still be open to other options.”
As for UAB, he said he’s high on the Blazers because they’re “close to home, and I think I’ll be able to play up there.”
South Carolina, Louisville, Arkansas State and Coastal Carolina all have extended offers to Bennett this month, and he said he’s “going to try to get” to South Carolina at some point.
With new offers still rolling in, he’s taking his time with the recruiting process.
“I’m going to try to narrow the offers down this summer,” Bennett said. “I don’t know when I’m going to make a decision yet.”
-247Sports VIP post
I got your back @Ron Swanson, I’ll try and post stuff when I see tidbits
Number 50 wr is 298? 1/6th of the top players are wr? That seems messed up.

Number 50 wr is 298? 1/6th of the top players are wr? That seems messed up.

Not really.
Consider how many WRs can be on the field in today's offense. Up to 5. At least 3 on most formations. 3 out of 11 spots on the field. 3 out of 22 overall. About 1/7th of possible prospects

Like somebody blended Juju Smith-Schuster and Calloway. The guy is fitting all those high-points. And he can return kicks. Tee has gotta be banging the table to get this guy.

Plus his uncle was great, even for a Vandy grad.

Not really.
Consider how many WRs can be on the field in today's offense. Up to 5. At least 3 on most formations. 3 out of 11 spots on the field. 3 out of 22 overall. About 1/7th of possible prospects
I dont think this break down could apply across the board. Do DBs take up a similar number then? Or at least this doesnt make sense across the board. There are always 5 OL, 1/4 of the starters and they are usually under represented by the services.

I didnt really have a point. Just one of those stastics that jumped out at me

VN Store

Back