'20 AL ATH Damarcus "Dee" Beckwith (Tennessee signee)

Do you think there is any way they would let him play both basketball and football?
depends. i think if they believe he could be a significant player at football they'd prefer him to stick w/one sport.

that said, there's plenty of football players that have done both. they just joing bball once all football obligations are satisfied....which would be around the start of conference play for most that have any kind of post season.

the trick is the winter conditioning part.....and if your bball team makes a run, you miss spring ball.

ok i talked myself out of it. no way pruitt would want him to miss that much "football" related activity.

thanks for going on that little trip with me.

Do you think there is any way they would let him play both basketball and football?
I think he's finding out that his football offers are going to be a bit more prestigious than his bball offers. I'm curious to see how this weekend goes, he's starting to lean a bit towards football I believe. Regardless, he's got a promising future.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Florence athlete Dee Beckwith is an interesting prospect. Tennessee and South Carolina have emerged as the early favorites with Michigan, Nebraska and others right behind them. Tennessee is recruiting him to play offense and he can play a number of positions from tailback to wide receiver. He plays quarterback in high school so he is quite the playmaker. Bottom line he is 6-foot-5 and 215 pounds who runs in the mid 4.5s. This visit is his first to Knoxville and will be the first for his parents to any school.

- VQ

This weekend, Florence (Ala.) athlete Dee Beckwith will make his first trip to Tennessee after having to cancel last weekend. The large athlete is being recruited by Tennessee for offense and he could play multiple positions. He has offers from UT, Michigan, Auburn and Mississippi State, among others, with the Vols currently sitting in a good position.

VQ

Hester said most coaches are interested in Beckwith as an “athlete” and would decide later what position might be best for him. Two exceptions are South Carolina, which likes him in an H-back/tight end role, and Kansas, which wants him as a tailback. Beckwith was surprised by the interest in him as a tight end because he has never played that position. He played running back some in youth leagues, but not recently. He said, however, he would be open to different positions if a school seems like the right place.

Asked if any meetings with coaching staffs stood out, Beckwith pointed to two staffs he said went beyond the standard line about a chance to make an impact on the team — Tennessee and South Carolina. “They actually showed me how they were going to use me and why,” Beckwith said.

Beckwith completed 36 of 62 passes for 480 yards and 3 TDs last year while sharing time at quarterback with Gardner Flippo. Beckwith ran 120 times for 689 yards and 8 TDs, and he caught 11 passes for 138 yards.

Recruiting heats up for Florence football player DaMarcus "Dee" Beckwith

"I enjoyed the practice and it as kind of like our practice in high school. It gave me a good feel for everything. It made me feel like I could adapt to their practice because it's so similar."

Beckwith plays quarterback for Florence (Ala.), but also is used in different ways. Much like his future, versatility will be his greatest asset.

So what was it that caught his eye? Mostly all the positions that he could play at the next level.

"It was fast-paced," Beckwith said. "I was watching all the skill groups. I was watching the receivers, running backs and quarterbacks."

After watching practice and doing the customary visit photo shoot in Tennessee orange, Beckwith sat down with the Tennessee staff. It was a great opportunity to see how much Tennessee covets the north Alabama baller.

"Basically, they told me that I'm a threat at any position," Beckwith said. "They said that they would want to get the ball in my hands because they think I can do a lot of things with it. I liked hearing they see me as a playmaker."

A playmaker that can help Tennessee's offense for years to come and that was basically the pitch from offensive coordinator Jim Chaney.

"That was what Chaney said," Beckwith said. "He told me they need more playmakers and that I can help them in multiple spots."

In charge of recruiting Beckwith is offensive line coach Will Friend. Beckwith respects the veteran assistant because he was one of the first coaches to see his potential.

"He was the first person to talk to me when he started recruiting me," Beckwith said. "He was the first person to reach out when I first started getting recruited. He's a straight up person and really cool. I feel like I can trust him and he's not just a coach."

Accompanied by his head coach Will Hester, Beckwith sat down with Jeremy Pruitt who knows the Yellowhammer State all too well. It was a great opportunity to get a good 1-on-1 interaction with the second-year head coach.

"Coach Pruitt broke it for me and how they would use me," Beckwith said. "Showed me how I'd be used in different ways at different positions."

Beckwith has been watching Tennessee athletics closely the last few years as the cousin of basketball guard Lamonte Turner. The two talk when Turner returns home and Beckwith had heard plenty of good things before his trip today.

"He's told me it's a good environment," Beckwith said. "He told me the program is really good and basically it's a home."
—VQ

If this guy ends up a Vol may have to travel south and catch one of his HS games. Lives just across the TN/AL state line from me.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

VN Store

Back