'20 AL ATH Damarcus "Dee" Beckwith (Tennessee signee)

I'm not denying that he or others are not genetic freaks or that they aren't gifted athletes. I'm simply saying that he more than likely isn't 4%. It's not a bad thing either because it's very very difficult to maintain that and it's not ideal for performance.

Check out this chart. I haven't seen his body but I would assume he's 6-10%.

Wasn't Shaq around 4% - 5% as a rookie in the NBA?

Think I was around 4% - 5% at age 17, as well. It's low but not completely unusual at that age. That chart is a bit misleading; 17-19 year old males can just be very lean naturally. I wasn't a super body builder or anything when I was at 5%; I had a lot of lower body muscle and was toned in my upper body, but didn't look anything those images. I kinda looked like a rugby player below the waist and just a scrawny (slightly toned) skater kid above the waist.

Last edited:
Wasn't Shaq around 4% - 5% as a rookie in the NBA?

Think I was around 4% - 5% at age 17, as well. It's low but not completely unusual at that age. That chart is a bit misleading; 17-19 year old males can just be very lean naturally. I wasn't a super body builder or anything when I was at 5%; I had a lot of lower body muscle and was toned in my upper body, but didn't look anything those images. I kinda looked like a rugby player below the waist and just a scrawny (slightly toned) skater kid above the waist.

I doubt Shaq has ever been below 8

I'm not denying that he or others are not genetic freaks or that they aren't gifted athletes. I'm simply saying that he more than likely isn't 4%. It's not a bad thing either because it's very very difficult to maintain that and it's not ideal for performance.

Check out this chart. I haven't seen his body but I would assume he's 6-10%.

Trust me, it's possible to get to 4% and look nothing like that pic. 😂😔

He was definitely under 8%. Pretty sure he was at 5%.

Remember, this is what he looked like at LSU. He was nothing but muscle coming out of college.

View attachment 258057
Not saying I’m an expert on the subject, but I got really into working out the past few years. I’ve met people at the gym who say they are 8% and they look way more toned than Shaw in that picture. I bet Shaq was about 10% body fat there. Doesn’t look crazy toned, but there is not much fat at all. When you get below 10% you can start to see the strands of muscle in the shoulders and it looks a little unhealthy

Not saying I’m an expert on the subject, but I got really into working out the past few years. I’ve met people at the gym who say they are 8% and they look way more toned than Shaw in that picture. I bet Shaq was about 10% body fat there. Doesn’t look crazy toned, but there is not much fat at all. When you get below 10% you can start to see the strands of muscle in the shoulders and it looks a little unhealthy

Y'all are putting too much stock into how muscular people are. It's not a measure of "buffness".

It's much easier to have 5% body fat at age 17 or 18 than it is at age 30 or 40. You can be at 5% body fat as a 17 year old male and not look anything like those body builder pics. At age 35, it's very difficult to get under 12% body fat, but at age 17, if you're athletic and lean, you can be at 5% body fat pretty easily. Likewise, a 17 year old with 13% body fat could be out of shape, while a 40 year old with 13% body fat could be super-fit.

Here's a chart laying things out and this doesn't even include 16 - 17, which is what we're actually looking at.

body-fat001.jpg

Like I said ... I was at 5% body fat when I graduated high school and I didn't look like a body builder at all.

Last edited:
I doubt Shaq has ever been below 8
I think Shaq at his lowest was like 14-16. That was at Miami. The heat have crazy body fat percentage rules and if you don’t meet them you get fined. That’s really when Shaq started getting injured more often. That was to low a body fat percentage for him and the way he played. He took a pounding every night and needed a little more cushion.

4 percent is very hard to maintain. I used to work in supplement industry and helped with local bodybuilding shows. At that low of body fat percentage the rate of injury climbs drastically as well well as sickness because the body does not have as much nutrients as it’s used to. Some of it has to do with diuretics that they take to get to that low of weight. That’s why a lot of injuries happen the closer they get to shows.

Y'all are putting too much stock into how muscular people are. It's not a measure of "buffness".

It's much easier to have 5% body fat at age 17 or 18 than it is at age 30 or 40. You can be at 5% body fat as a 17 year old male and not look anything like those body builder pics. At age 35, it's very difficult to get under 12% body fat, but at age 17, if you're athletic and lean, you can be at 5% body fat pretty easily. Likewise, a 17 year old with 13% body fat could be out of shape, while a 40 year old with 13% body fat could be super-fit.

Here's a chart laying things out and this doesn't even include 16 - 17, which is what we're actually looking at.

View attachment 258058

Like I said ... I was at 5% body fat when I graduated high school and I didn't look like a body builder at all.

My take away from these charts....after 56, who gives a damn and why bother?

He can put on weight without putting fat on him...why so hung up on being a WR only? He could be a big time game changer at TE.
He's not built to be a TE I feel. He's kinda narrow in the shoulders. I also don't think he has any interest in playing TE or putting on the xtra 30 lbs his frame would need for him to play the position. He'll also be on the field early next year because of his size and speed and I don't see him putting on the weight that fast in order to play early. I think he would be great at TE I just see him as a WR.

VN Store

Back