'20 AL ATH Damarcus "Dee" Beckwith (Tennessee signee)

WR, he won't play TE anywhere I feel.

Will he put his hand on the ground and block? No.

But as an offensive coach, you use everything you have available. You have WRs like Keyton and Hyatt on the outside, then you most definitely make a LB or Safety try and defend Beckwith who's 6'5 235 and runs like Cee Dee Lamb. And if you try and jam him be careful, because he might motion into the backfield and take a handoff and run off tackle against you!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We really need this kid, but if he is going to hold Bball over everyone, then he can go south... Barnes has 2 5* and a high 4* already coming in so unless Dee is better than them or anyone else we have coming in, I actually don't blame us for not pushing on the Bball front... and I'm willing to bet FL just telling him what he wants to hear... would be very surprised in this day and age in college sports that this kid will play both. Each individual sport is so time consuming, he's not going to be able to do both... all are year round these days... he's no Deon... unless he's going to pull an UNC and not go to class or have someone do "school" for him or go to BS classes that don't actually exist...

1 example in how many years? 26-27?

Ronald Curry player both at North Carolina after being both the #1 point guard in the country and the #1 quarterback in the country coming out of high school. He was awful at both.

Then there was Julius Peppers who was great at football and marginal at best at basketball.

Before then, both Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders played baseball and were great doing both in the early to mid 80s. Those 2 guys are in the discussion for greatest athletes in the history of GOD.

Bottom line, it’s extremely rare and the chance that Beckwith could pull it off playing football and basketball is all but zero.
It would take a special athlete to pull it off most definitely. This kid is 6'5 235 lbs, runs a legit 4.5 forty and has a 35 inch vertical, he just might be athletic enough to do it. He also knows where he stands as a basketball prospect and I don't expect him to play much BB at either school early in his career. He could turn into an SEC BB player but I think it would be his Jr or Sr year before he does so.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Didn't Charlie Ward win a heistman trophy while playing both? All it really takes is a very committed player as it's a ton of work to pull off.

It took a Heisman type guy to do it and he did excel at both but was not a big NFL guy but was pretty good NBA player. Ward would’ve been better off pouring all his energy to just one sport once in college. Would’ve had a more pro impact if he had. Dee needs to come to UT if football is what he wants to be a pro in and play just football. If basketball is his game then go to Florida but hang up the cleats for the sneakers.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
It took a Heisman type guy to do it and he did excel at both but was not a big NFL guy but was pretty good NBA player. Ward would’ve been better off pouring all his energy to just one sport once in college. Would’ve had a more pro impact if he had. Dee needs to come to UT if football is what he wants to be a pro in and play just football. If basketball is his game then go to Florida but hang up the cleats for the sneakers.
Basketball is his 1st love but it won't pay for his education at the power5 level. Football pays the bills and he's just now starting to see how good he can be playing football. He'd be at Tn I feel if football is all he plays.

I think standard operating procedure is telling the kid that he’ll be given the opportunity to do both, which he eventually is......but once he gets on campus and sees the energy and schedule it would take to make it happen, that HE winds up making the decision that it’s not doable.
USCjr has a big stink going on with Deon Sanders kid. They promised he’d get a “chance” to play baseball. They let him hit in the batting cage one time and said thanks but no thanks. The kid and Deon post all over social media about it, and the baseball coach comes back with something like this, “we decided he wouldn’t be able to help the baseball team and football wanted him full time. He’s on football scholarship so they should have full control”.

I’d be shocked if Beckwith or Wideman wind up playing two sports. Their is a reason those kids are only getting recruited by the big time schools for Football.

USCjr has a big stink going on with Deon Sanders kid. They promised he’d get a “chance” to play baseball. They let him hit in the batting cage one time and said thanks but no thanks. The kid and Deon post all over social media about it, and the baseball coach comes back with something like this, “we decided he wouldn’t be able to help the baseball team and football wanted him full time. He’s on football scholarship so they should have full control”.

I’d be shocked if Beckwith or Wideman wind up playing two sports. Their is a reason those kids are only getting recruited by the big time schools for Football.
Good post. Very few have the ability or time for two sports at this level. Friend of mine played baseball at Au with Bo.I ask how he juggled both and he said it was easy. 'He only took batting practice a couple of times a week and that was it.You almost have to be a prodigy at the second sport you play if you play two.

Hmm... I was thinking "My Name is Earl." Been a long time since I saw Joe Dirt.

Edit: by the way, anyone seen the way Randy from that show has transformed himself?
p-my-name-is-earl-ethan-suplee.jpg
View attachment 256975

That’s crazy...he was the super fat kid in Remember the Titans right?

And he would say thanks for the offer but UF says I will be playing both
He will say that, but what is his rating as a BB recruit? Is CRB willing to use a roster spot on someone who may never play when we have two 5* and one 4* star in this class already? When the BB roster is so small, I would leave the decision to Barnes as to whether this guy is worth bringing in for BB.

He will say that, but what is his rating as a BB recruit? Is CRB willing to use a roster spot on someone who may never play when we have two 5* and one 4* star in this class already? When the BB roster is so small, I would leave the decision to Barnes as to whether this guy is worth bringing in for BB.

It would require a decision. Ten returning scholly guys, three incoming FR leaves to bench seats I think..... with Fleschman, Maze and Jancek returning walkons… That is one too many already I think if 15 is the magic number.....Two total would have to go for a spot to be available....

He would just take a walk on spot. Wouldn't think it's a big deal, as far as spots go. Not taking up a BB scholly.

Is there even a limit to the overall roster? I read there is not.

Last edited:
Strikes me as a no lose situation for CRB. He’s on a football scholarship so he doesn’t take up one of the 13 basketball scholarships - he’s viewed as a walk on in bball. If he never contributes then nothing is lost. Maybe he proves valuable to the bball team in some way?

Fine. He's not some generational talent. Best to just be upfront and honest with him, rather than lie to him like UF may. Then he succeeds at neither sport or is mad he was lied to and walks.
Why would you have to lie to him?

Hey, you’re obviously a great athlete. It would be a big challenge to manage both sports, but we’d be happy to see how your bball skills develop. If you’re willing to put in the work for both sports then by all means give it a shot and let’s see what happens.

Why would you have to lie to him?

Hey, you’re obviously a great athlete. It would be a big challenge to manage both sports, but we’d be happy to see how your bball skills develop. If you’re willing to put in the work for both sports then by all means give it a shot and let’s see what happens.
Don't have to, but it may "sweeten the pot". But also, the "lie" could be being ok with him playing Bball at all, ie Pruitt may want him 100% football. So, the lie would be, "sure you can be 50/50 football and bball, no problem". When really UF may persuade him to not do anything with basketball once on campus.

Cloudy, I know, but hope that makes sense. Just a thought. Pruitt seems pretty frank and all football. He may not want him focusing on anything but football and be straight up with that. Maybe not what the kid wants and it's mutual. Fine.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
IMHO I think he'll fiqure out pretty quick if he has the time to play both sports. While I doubt he'll ever start or get 15-20 minutes a game at either school I think Dee can out play the last 3 or 4 sitting on the end of the Tennessee bench any day of the week.
He's got better handles than Pons and they are similarly built. He's definitely better than our current walkons I feel.

Dang we need these kind of playmakers..dealing with this dude at *****n Florida is going to suck majorly. This is not one of those "meh..no big deal" kind of guys like Darnell Washington...Beckwith is a potential monster...I wish Barnes would get off his high horse and get with the program. He could have helped swing this deal our way. This kid as a physical presence would be a lot better better than most of those dudes he has riding the end of the bench.

Like I said..this one hurts me. And this could have been a deal that was closed with Barnes help imo.
Didn't say we don't want or need or not a big deal. I just keep going back to him saying he loved the atmosphere at FL. Pruitt is all business. Mullen dances in front of his QB and let's his wife rub on his players. Some players obviously like that. I'm glad we have Pruitt myself.

Fine. He's not some generational talent. Best to just be upfront and honest with him, rather than lie to him like UF may. Then he succeeds at neither sport or is mad he was lied to and walks.
And you know this how?
Or he could be a Ja Morant , that had 1 power 5 offer, went to Murray St, probably NBA rookie of the year

Dang we need these kind of playmakers..dealing with this dude at *****n Florida is going to suck majorly. This is not one of those "meh..no big deal" kind of guys like Darnell Washington...Beckwith is a potential monster...I wish Barnes would get off his high horse and get with the program. He could have helped swing this deal our way. This kid as a physical presence would be a lot better better than most of those dudes he has riding the end of the bench.

Like I said..this one hurts me. And this could have been a deal that was closed with Barnes help imo.
I'm so numb.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

VN Store

Back