'20 AL ATH Damarcus "Dee" Beckwith (Tennessee signee)

Yep. Peppers, Curry, Charlie Ward. I’m sure there have been others.
My point on that one is that UNC might make more money from basketball than football...even more likely during that timeframe.

It’s technically the “highest revenue” sport. Just so happens that it’s almost always Football.

So it is theoretically possible for a kid to play Basketball & Football, and have the scholarship count towards Basketball. Basketball at the hypothetical school would simply have to generate more revenue than Football.

Not sure if there are any actual examples. It would have to be a traditional Basketball power that has a weak Football program.

Something like Kansas or Georgetown or UConn maybe.
I went back and reread the rule since it's been a while. Football is always first. Basketball is second and surprisingly ice hockey is third. Beyond that it's pretty open as long as they meet participation requirements in both sports and depending on recruiting status.

247 has him ranked a 4* and 14th prospect in Alabama.

Remember EJ Abrams-Ward? Out ot Thomasville, NC? He signed with us as the #1 prospect in NC. Maybe the top player in our class that year.

This kid is a faster more athletic version of him imo. I think he has the ability to be a WR.
I really hope we can get him. So much potential and comes from an athletic family.

Speaking of which I hope Jabari Small signs with us too.

Remember EJ Abrams-Ward? Out ot Thomasville, NC? He signed with us as the #1 prospect in NC. Maybe the top player in our class that year.

This kid is a faster more athletic version of him imo. I think he has the ability to be a WR.
I really hope we can get him. So much potential and comes from an athletic family.

Ha, I remember that class well. It was an awful class. Didn't he flame out and transfer/quit?

He has not been offered a power5 Basketball scholarship, he's only been offered football scholarships at this time.
Actually, if he plays both at UT or anywhere for that matter the scholarship counts against football and not basketball. I never realized that until a few years ago when they were talking about 2 sports athletes and if football was involved the scholarship always counted against the football program. That actually helps basketball as it saves a scholarship roster spot for another player. Unless things have changed I am pretty sure that is how it still works. I don't know about baseball vs. basketball or others sports, not sure how that works.

Big weekend for Vols and Dee this weekend! Unless a last minute Alabama offer comes in I think we're the leader in the clubhouse after this upcoming weekend's visit. He's a big athlete and fun to watch play basketball as well if you are in the Florence area. I've said it several times but he's a bigger faster Jennings with the same type attitude. He's physically ready to play here now. I think he could be a star wearing orange!

Awesome news ! I love this kids versatility, would love to have him in this class. Been wrong before, but I believe he's got stardom in his future. I have some relatives in Bamaland that swear by him and claim he is the best athlete in the state. So glad we are still working here ! Thanks for the info !
People are coming out of the woodwork these days watching him play basketball too, his dunks are pretty spectacular. I hope Bama doesn't come in and steal him away last second! I too think he's going to be a star.

Reactions: 901LookAlive

What a blast from the past.I thought EJ was our solo best building block piece in that whole class.Unfortunately I never knew what happened to him or why he never played here but dude was super good.Wow.

Elsewhere, Len’Neth Whitehead and Dee Beckwith are both scheduled to unofficially visit Tennessee for the Vandy game. The Vols are trending hard with Whitehead, who plans to start his career at tailback, and another visit further cement his recruitment, but he does plan on visiting UCLA before he decides. Beckwith won’t sign until February and plans to OV with the Vols after the New Year. Florida remains the team to beat for the hybrid tight end, but Tennessee, Kentucky and Ole Miss are all still options — with all four schools giving Beckwith the option to play both football and basketball.

-VQ

Gainesville is too far from home and family. They were the leaders up until Coach Barnes offered him a spot on the basketball roster. The team to beat out, and the reason he's not going to announce for a couple of months is Alabama. He's moving up everybody's boards and I'll say it again, if Bama offers late that's where I think he'd likely go. A great basketball offer somewhere could sway him as well. Don't forget he has a brother that would like to go with him wherever he goes. We spoke with him about a week ago, he seems excited about this weekend's visit.

Gainesville is too far from home and family. They were the leaders up until Coach Barnes offered him a spot on the basketball roster. The team to beat out, and the reason he's not going to announce for a couple of months is Alabama. He's moving up everybody's boards and I'll say it again, if Bama offers late that's where I think he'd likely go. A great basketball offer somewhere could sway him as well. Don't forget he has a brother that would like to go with him wherever he goes. We spoke with him about a week ago, he seems excited about this weekend's visit.
Is his brother a football or basketball recruit?

There aren't too many basketball offers out there better than TN right now. We just signed the number 4 class in the country.

There aren't too many basketball offers out there better than TN right now. We just signed the number 4 class in the country.
That is an offer to play football and be on the basketball team if he signs with the football team. If he gets a basketball only offer somewhere nice(something he doesn't have now) he would definitely take a look.

“It was really much more of, I came up here with my brother, so I was just up here with him. But we were going to talk with the coaches still.”

Beckwith’s scheduled to travel to Florida next weekend on his first official visit. He said Sunday that the Gators remain at the top of his list.

“They still lead,” Beckwith said. “It’s just them keeping in touch every day and stuff like that.”
Florida will get his first official visit, he said, “because we’ve been talking about it for the longest.” He said it “will probably be the only one this month.”

“Ever since I left the first time, they were telling me when I should get back up there, and then especially for basketball,” Beckwith said. “I figured I should do that one first. And, also, it’s the farthest (from home).”

“I was in Coach Pruitt’s office for a minute, and everybody was just in there saying hello and stuff like that,” Beckwith said.
“They’ve been texting me just about every morning, seeing what’s up with me and all that, and right before I get out of school. They’ve been coming in contact a lot now.”

“It’s a big deal,” he said. “At the very beginning, they came off slow and I’m guessing they made some changes and everybody stepped up. They won six out of their last seven games, so that’s good.”
-Callahan

He plans to OV to UF, UK, UT, and Ole Miss.

Reactions: T Dog

VN Store

Back