Ainge on who should start at QB

That’d be a historical anomaly for JG. I’m all for it. I have been for quite some time in fact. I wouldn’t bet on it, however.
He's 3-1 our last 4. Overall team play is much better. We'll be fine with JG at the helm I believe.

It is a good point that JG seems to have improved with the ability to see the action from the sidelines and without the stress of being the lead. Hopefully, he can keep getting his confidence back from being snakebit early in the year and keep playing loose.

Guarantano seems to be a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde. And much of it seems to be due to a football equivalent of PTSD. Tonight, he was in a great deal of pain. He did slightly better than I expected with that. With Maurer obviously still being sidelined with concussion issues, I would have stuck with Shrout tonight. But they won. So, who's next?

Reactions: Gandalf
Then how do you evaluate JT Shrout whose only meaningful snaps were against the same defense? I don't pretend to know the answer to this. I'm just glad we've got 3 options that have all seen some recent success.

Ut widened the score when shrout came bac into game

Yep...I think he may have found his role as a relief or change-up pitcher. He also seems to be good with that right now. I saw a sense of calm relief in his press conference the other day. His attitude around the demotion has been pleasant to see.

Yeah, I saw that too. Hopefully, that attitude carries him through. With Maurer out, probably until the neuro docs clear him, we only have two options. Unless they just turn it over to Jennings. That's football though.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
U must not have watched the sc game. The score was 24 to 21 ut when jg got hurt.shrout comes in with like 7 min left in 3rd qtr. And we win 41 to 21. So who would u say led the team better.thats a lot of difference here. 17 points better with shrout in game.A good qb is a leader, the leader of the team. A good qb makes other players better. A person can argue for jg but he effects the whole team. In less than half a game, a 17 point difference. A whole game that is 34 point difference.this is the way jg effects the game. I noticed tonite our ol reverted backwards again and who was the qb?? Jg; .a person can argue for jg, but look back when ol really started showing great improvement, it was jg was pulled from game.

Ummm, did you watch the USC game??

Shrout was responsible for 10 points in the USC game. 7 of those 4th quarter points were from a blocked punt that got recovered in the endzone. Shrout had zilch to do with that.

I'm glad he played well, but Shrout isn't better than JG at this point. Maurer certainly is better and I'd expect to see him start if healthy.

U must not have watched the sc game. The score was 24 to 21 ut when jg got hurt.shrout comes in with like 7 min left in 3rd qtr. And we win 41 to 21. So who would u say led the team better.thats a lot of difference here. 17 points better with shrout in game.A good qb is a leader, the leader of the team. A good qb makes other players better. A person can argue for jg but he effects the whole team. In less than half a game, a 17 point difference. A whole game that is 34 point difference.this is the way jg effects the game. I noticed tonite our ol reverted backwards again and who was the qb?? Jg; .a person can argue for jg, but look back when ol really started showing great improvement, it was jg was pulled from game.
I agree with you 100%. I may have misinterpreted a prior post.

Look - let’s don't sugar coat it - I will say it if no one else will. JG is a 2-3 out of 10 as a Sec quarterback. He’s not good. I can make a case that he is really bad, and the primary reason we have been so bad in games he has started.

He doesn’t understand the offense, releases the ball late, can’t find receivers, has awful pocket presence, is crazy slow footed, has a long, long deliberate motion and release which causes accuracy problems and hurts his receivers. He is one of the worst quarterbacks in the history of the program. Not his fault - I am sure he is a great person. He honestly doesn't even know how to run a quarterback sneak, either one called by the coaches or not called by the coaches.

The entire tempo of the offense slowwwwssss down when he is in the game. It’s insufferable to watch him play- he’s bad.

The rest of the offense and team are actually pretty good - he bogs down everything.

The argument that he is the best we have is, as we know now, a completely false narrative.

I don’t blame him for how he plays - which is mostly awful - I blame Pruitt for playing him.

I can’t be the only one who sees this - he at times has literally killed us. He is not an Sec caliber qb-

Don’t get me started- the other two can play either here or elsewhere, but both are significant upgrades over him as a quality quarterback.

It’s not his fault but it’s phenomenally frustrating to see him out there.

As far as I am concerned, he can give his all in the classroom.

Not trying to be harsh or that guy, but it makes no sense to have him playing most of the snaps for Tennessee. Not sure if I mentioned this or not,
but he is not a good quarterback.

Look - let’s don't sugar coat it - I will say it if no one else will. JG is a 2-3 out of 10 as a Sec quarterback. He’s not good. I can make a case that he is really bad, and the primary reason we have been so bad in games he has started.

He doesn’t understand the offense, releases the ball late, can’t find receivers, has awful pocket presence, is crazy slow footed, has a long, long deliberate motion and release which causes accuracy problems and hurts his receivers. He is one of the worst quarterbacks in the history of the program. Not his fault - I am sure he is a great person. He honestly doesn't even know how to run a quarterback sneak, either one called by the coaches or not called by the coaches.

The entire tempo of the offense slowwwwssss down when he is in the game. It’s insufferable to watch him play- he’s bad.

The rest of the offense and team are actually pretty good - he bogs down everything.

The argument that he is the best we have is, as we know now, a completely false narrative.

I don’t blame him for how he plays - which is mostly awful - I blame Pruitt for playing him.

I can’t be the only one who sees this - he at times has literally killed us. He is not an Sec caliber qb-

Don’t get me started- the other two can play either here or elsewhere, but both are significant upgrades over him as a quality quarterback.

It’s not his fault but it’s phenomenally frustrating to see him out there.

As far as I am concerned, he can give his all in the classroom.

Not trying to be harsh or that guy, but it makes no sense to have him playing most of the snaps for Tennessee. Not sure if I mentioned this or not,
but he is not a good quarterback.

Nailed it. My sentiments exactly.

He's 3-1 our last 4. Overall team play is much better. We'll be fine with JG at the helm I believe.
I'm sorry but Shrout is 2 and 0. He got the start. Anybody else find it irritating the announcer kept calling Jaratano the backup. Dude, pretty obvious he's the guy they wanted to play. Those two jackwaggons were awesome. They are not good enough for the ocho.

I'm sorry but Shrout is 2 and 0. He got the start. Anybody else find it irritating the announcer kept calling Jaratano the backup. Dude, pretty obvious he's the guy they wanted to play. Those two jackwaggons were awesome. They are not good enough for the ocho.
Not quite. Jennings 1-0, Shrout 1-0. Recheck who started agains USCe.

If JG is our guy the rest of the way then we aren't going bowling. We get lucky to get TDs when JG is in the game.

Not quite. Jennings 1-0, Shrout 1-0. Recheck who started agains USCe.
Well it definitely wasnt jg. I was wrong, but he was really wrong. That means jg was the 3rd qb we played. So I'm medium wrong compared to that guy. Boom, I can sleep better knowing that guy was really wrong and I was just wrong. I feel like a winner.

Reactions: rocytop2624
Ummm, did you watch the USC game??

Shrout was responsible for 10 points in the USC game. 7 of those 4th quarter points were from a blocked punt that got recovered in the endzone. Shrout had zilch to do with that.

I'm glad he played well, but Shrout isn't better than JG at this point. Maurer certainly is better and I'd expect to see him start if healthy.
To be completely honest JG benefited from a punt return as well. JG's offense scored 14 points in half the game. The Shrout offense scored 13 points in the other half. Special teams scored 14. Total 41.

JG did have a turn over on downs in the redzone. I believe we should have taken the FG. Also, we missed a FG on another of his possessions.

Not entering an argument just want to be honest for all sides.

Go Vols

Reactions: Carp

VN Store

Back