Ainge on who should start at QB

I listen most days to his show and others. While I think he's intelligent and insightful often, I think he's blind when it comes to JG. He'll spend an hour defending him, and yet make sure he acquiesces to the audience with the caveat that he thinks he should do better. He'll say how the offense needs simplified and fewer responsibilities given to him, then use that as a reason either of the underclassmen shouldn't start. I don't know what it is exactly, but he absolutely loves and is in love with JG, to the point of tears when he talks about him. That clouds his judgement and clear view of reality. JG isn't a top flight QB, I thought he would be one myself, but I was wrong.

Reactions: rkvdg
Eric Ainge who seems to have trouble recognizing JG's inconsistencies and inability to make quick reads along with no mobility is already advocating that he should be moved back to the top of the depth chart for the remainder of the season. Would be a huge mistake IMO. While It's obvious JG along with Shrout had a decent game Saturday, I still believe that Maurer provides the best opportunity for long term success. JG would be much more valuable in a back up role
because it it seems to remove the mental strain and pressures that come with being the starter.

Its amazing when the QB quits changing the play at the line every time and actually allows the OC to mix up the play calls making the D confused thus opening up the passing routes more, making the passes easier for a struggling QB...

Shocker...

Eric Ainge who seems to have trouble recognizing JG's inconsistencies and inability to make quick reads along with no mobility is already advocating that he should be moved back to the top of the depth chart for the remainder of the season. Would be a huge mistake IMO. While It's obvious JG along with Shrout had a decent game Saturday, I still believe that Maurer provides the best opportunity for long term success. JG would be much more valuable in a back up role
because it it seems to remove the mental strain and pressures that come with being the starter.
As of now BM is the no. 1 QB in my book, but Shrout has a higher ceiling; he has an NFL arm.

who WON those games Lets not play semantics bro. We both watched those games and I clearly said who was responsible not who started for a reason. When JG plays well we win period.
K-town? Is that you?

Reactions: jacvols
Does long term success only happen with Maurer? How about winning the rest of the games on our schedule being important. JG has gone 24-42 for 390 yards, 3 TD 0 Ints while being sacked only 3 times in limited playing time the last 3 games. He played well enough to help us win 2 of those SEC games and has earned back the starting position with his recent play many feel. Throw in his game vs UTC and looks to me like he gives us the best chance to win out this year and sets up a great QB position competition coming up this January.

Reactions: Cormock Mac
Posted this in another thread, I think Maurer should still be the starter. Shrout and JG played GREAT against SC but I feel Maurer gives this team a spark on offense the others dont. With Maurer, Tennessee can beat anybody. Dont have that same confidence in the other 2. Just my personal opinion.

I would like to see Maurer start and finish a game. Would also like to see JT a bit more. JT deep pass to calloway Saturday was right on the money. I love the issue we have at QB now

As of now BM is the no. 1 QB in my book, but Shrout has a higher ceiling; he has an NFL arm.

BM can't seem to get out of harm's way. One can't overlook the reality that he's thrown 5 interceptions to 2 TD's.
He never took a snap from under center until he got to UT. His QB skill-set is very limited at this point. Heck he can't get out of harm's way and he's not under center. Try putting him under center and he just might sustain a career ending injury. The playbook is just so limited with a QB that the defense knows is always going to set up in the shotgun.

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds, I actually think the "QB rotation" strategy has worked very well (albeit, this strategy has not been 100% intentional).

All of our QBs have different skill sets, so it's probably made preparing for them a nightmare for defenses. Maurer can make plays that JG and Shrout can't. JG doesn't make the Freshmen mistakes that Maurer and Shrout does. Shrout can make plays that Maurer and JG can't. And Jennings just adds a matchup nightmare from the wildcat for a few plays per game.

The old saying is if you have 2 QBs, you have no QBs, but I don't think it holds true at all for this team. They seem to play better rotating in and out. Takes the pressure off and makes it difficult for the defense to prepare for all 3-4 of them.

I think Maurer is the best QB on the roster. But, listen, all JG has done is take all the crap that this fan base (myself included) has flung at him, the shameful booing every time he steps onto the field, the social media garbage, and he's gone out and won us two huge SEC games.

I think Maurer is the best QB on the roster. But, listen, all JG has done is take all the crap that this fan base (myself included) has flung at him, the shameful booing every time he steps onto the field, the social media garbage, and he's gone out and won us two huge SEC games.
Very true.
The old saying applies, "You're never as bad as the media and fans spout and you're never as good when praised."
I can't imagine how JG feels.
However, one has to be able to take the good with the bad.

If all three are available then you can give them all three a shot the one that produces stays in. Concussions sometimes take a while and bad hand is not good even if it is not the throwing hand. Looks like JT is the one that is healthy enough to start first.

Everyone who played QB on Saturday did well. We had two non offensive touchdowns and allowed us to pull away. We out coached and out played USCe.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I thought JG was having surgery on his hand that got jacked in the no call targeting play. I just assumed his year was over. I know it's his non throwing hand but still, it's not like he's gonna be out there wearing a cast on his wrist.
Surgery already done. He’s got a screw holding that wrist together. He’s depth.

Personally, I still believe Shrout should start and then bring JG off the bench. In my opinion, JG is a much better quarterback coming off the bench than starting. Overall, I think JG has played respectful, maybe some of his best ball, in the back-up role and that is the way his playing needs to continue. And yes, I would rest BM for SEC action.

Does long term success only happen with Maurer? How about winning the rest of the games on our schedule being important. JG has gone 24-42 for 390 yards, 3 TD 0 Ints while being sacked only 3 times in limited playing time the last 3 games. He played well enough to help us win 2 of those SEC games and has earned back the starting position with his recent play many feel. Throw in his game vs UTC and looks to me like he gives us the best chance to win out this year and sets up a great QB position competition coming up this January.

JG cannot throw a receiver open. Just look at the throw to Calloway. He had all day and somehow throws up a contested ball to Calloway who has beat his man deep. You just can’t go with JG as the starter you just cant. Teams play different when he is in. They just play run so we can’t move the ball and dare him to throw the ball.

Against South Carolina that was fine because their DBs were hot garbage.

JG cannot throw a receiver open. Just look at the throw to Calloway. He had all day and somehow throws up a contested ball to Calloway who has beat his man deep. You just can’t go with JG as the starter you just cant. Teams play different when he is in. They just play run so we can’t move the ball and dare him to throw the ball.

What's the excuse for the Miss St game that JG can't do? He's earned the starting position back and I think it's realistic to believe we will win our 4 remaining games with JG playing QB.

Miss St and SC seemed to have trouble doing exactly what you say defenses will be able to do with him in the game. We had 7 20+ yard passes Sat, JG had 5 of those.
They are running for yardage after the catch. Just watch the GIFs in the other thread for a quick comparison. Shroud/Mauer may not be accurate but they can throw it 50 yards with juice. Even if he misses its like a batting against a 100 mph fastball, gets your attention. JG gets it there but its like slow motion and anything over 30 yards is a floater.

I think that's what it may take. They all bring a little something different to the table, and that may be enough to keep some defenses at bay.

That said....what about Shrout's wheels? He showed some good speed Saturday on about a 12 yard run for a 1st down.

I was pleased with what we saw from JT Saturday

What's the excuse for the Miss St game that JG can't do? He's earned the starting position back and I think it's realistic to believe we will win our 4 remaining games with JG playing QB.
He handed off like a boss that game. This past game was a redemption for him but he’s not healthy. It’s his non-throwing wrist but I remember Ainge having issues taking snaps when he was rushed back because Crompton couldn’t cut it.

He had 5 completions of 20+ yards Sat. He was 4-4 on 3rd downs vs Ms St when we had to have tight throws into tight windows for the win. The he doesn't throw receivers open is just not true. He threw JJ open in the back of the endzone, all without turning it over every quarter.

VN Store

Back