Ainge is named starter

hman, having two qb's is definitely better than the alternative....having none. Don't you think? :lol:

That's what I'm sayin', freak! There's coaches all over the country that would kill to have the qb "problem" the Vols have!!! :rock:

Originally posted by hmanvolfan@Aug 28, 2005 10:19 PM
That's what I'm sayin', freak! There's coaches all over the country that would kill to have the qb "problem" the Vols have!!!    :rock:
[snapback]132315[/snapback]​

exactly.

wow ainge was named the starter huh. Looks like someone owes me some money. Beltway i told you man.

beltway was just wonderin' who he owed the cash to in another thread. Sounds like he's good for the payoff to me...

Originally posted by hmanvolfan@Aug 28, 2005 5:38 PM
I asked beltway to "mark my words" that Ainge should be the starter and I guess he did. Very gracious concession beltway. But has been stated earlier, the qb position is in great hands with either guy!!
[snapback]132222[/snapback]​

Hey. I'm not afraid to admit when I am wrong. Good job. :good:

Originally posted by vols2345@Aug 28, 2005 10:54 PM
wow ainge was named the starter huh.  Looks like someone owes me some money.  Beltway i told you man.
[snapback]132322[/snapback]​

Drop me a PM. I'll send you the money.

It was 10.00 right?

nah I aint worried about it really. I am actually really busy right now with owning my own business. its not that big of a deal.

Originally posted by vols2345@Aug 29, 2005 12:47 AM
nah I aint worried about it really.  I am actually really busy right now with owning my own business. its not that big of a deal.
[snapback]132348[/snapback]​

Actually, if you don't mind. I will donate the 10.00 to the fund for U-T and other Louisiana victims of Hurricane Katrina that we have pinned at the top of the page, in your name.

I think this is the longest thread Ive ever started..............After the initial hearing of this news I have to say that either way I dont think we could have gone wrong but with both of them still getting to play its really not that big of deal. By the UF game everything will have figured itself out IMO.

I agree with Crossville, Ainge needs the gametime experience. I would hate to see him thrown into the Fla game without having gotten out the first game jitters. Clausen is the best safety valve in the country. It would have been nice for Fla not to see any recent film of Ainge but hopefully we won't show everything on UAB...you never know, Clausen may get the nod against Fla.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Aug 29, 2005 9:26 AM
you never know, Clausen may get the nod against Fla.
[snapback]132384[/snapback]​

After a great deal of debate and uncertainty, I'm glad this decision is finally upon us. I have no idea what we'll post about now, but with the season only 5 days and and hour away, surely we can come up with something.

I think it came down to: the future prospect of 2-3 years with Ainge as starter, mobility, the threat of a deeper, more aggressive passing game, and probably some "inside stuff" regarding his work in the locker room and with tape that none of us get to see. Props to Rick, and we're sure to see him some. I'm just not certain that the coaches were certain that we could get it done against the powerful defenses of LSU and UF with the "dink and dime" type attack. Being able to stretch the field and keep the backs honest will be essential if we are going to have any success running the ball against that calliber team.

At any rate, I hope the Nation gets behind Ainge and leaves the doubting for the opposition.

GO VOLS

David Cutcliffe made a comment on Ainge's scrimmage performances on "Big orange Sunday" yesterday....he said that the staff threw a lot more at Ainge than they normaly would to see just how far he has progressed. He also pointed out, and I could not agree more, that this team has the talent to win championships, and anything short of that would be a disapointment with the team we have in place. With the schedule UT has this year there will no doubt be some times when we will need a playmaker to step up and make a big time throw. Ainge has the athletic ability to make some plays that Clausen cannot. Clausen is a great leader and has shown he can play, but he is limited in what he can do with the ball. One play last year that stands out was the TD pass to Smith in the corner vs. FLA....there is no way that Clausen could have made that throw work....he does not have the arm strength. Ainge has much more upside and while at this point is his young career he may be the riskier pick to start, but the upside outweighs that tenfold. All of that being said, I think either one can win, but Ainge has the "It" factor, just look at what he did against FLA last year as a FRESHMAN with the game on the line.

Originally posted by holdemvol@Aug 29, 2005 9:49 AM
One play last year that stands out was the TD pass to Smith in the corner vs. FLA....there is no way that Clausen could have made that throw work
[snapback]132389[/snapback]​

I was thinking the same thing when I saw a replay the other day.

If you go back and watch some of last year's games, there were plenty of Ainge's completions that Clausen's lack of arm strenght would have nullified......Many of them critical.

Rick is a good kid and I believe he will accpet his role with class.

I believe Rick could prove to be a great relief pitcher. If we can get a decent lead Rick would be ideal in the fourth quarter to go in, keep the offense moving along with the run game and short passes. He'd be ideal in that type of scenario. It's been acknowledged that he sees the field better than Erik and in that event he would be a great option for sitting on a lead and eating the clock late in the game.

Originally posted by OldVol@Aug 29, 2005 12:25 PM
Rick is a good kid and I believe he will accpet his role with class.

I believe Rick could prove to be a great relief pitcher. If we can get a decent lead Rick would be ideal in the fourth quarter to go in, keep the offense moving along with the run game and short passes. He'd be ideal in that type of scenario. It's been acknowledged that he sees the field better than Erik and in that event he would be a great option for sittion on a lead and eating the clock late in the game.
[snapback]132426[/snapback]​

I think he is a good QB, and if something were to happen, or Ainge simply does not perform, I would not worry at all with Rick at the helm. I do, however, feel the right decision was made. Who would have guessed a year ago we would have such a great "problem" this year?

My :twocents: ,

The fundamental difference between Ainge and Clausen is that Clausen is good at sustaining drives, while Ainge is good at ending them. The big play potential provided by Ainge was just too much to pass on for the coaching staff.

Fulmer always talks about how as a defense, if you play 70 plays well and 2 plays badly it can get you beat. Well, the same thing can work for you if your offense comes up with those two big plays.

Although I will say this for Clausen, he knows how to get the ball to the receivers, and understands that UT's group is so talented that he can let them be their own playmaker.

I don't think it really matters...The only thing Ainge being the "starter" means is that he will take the first snap, Fulmer said that both will play against UAB.

God Bless and Go Vols
Run to the Roses

Originally posted by utvol0427@Aug 29, 2005 4:03 PM
I don't think it really matters...The only thing Ainge being the "starter" means is that he will take the first snap, Fulmer said that both will play against UAB.

God Bless and Go Vols
Run to the Roses
[snapback]132472[/snapback]​

exactly :yes:

I just wanted to say i told some of ya'll that was on me because i said Clausen should start, now can i get some props please (beltway)

VN Store

Back