Aftermath of Lady Vols Loss to Michigan

Walker was supposed to be a little better than she was. The knee injury is still lingering anytime you still have to wear a full leg brace your not going to play as well as you can. Miles is a good point guard if they can reel her in just a little a little loose on the passes and drives to the basket.

This thread led me to do a little more reading on JW. I did not know that she tore her ACL twice; the 2nd time before her sophomore season.

A blurb from govols247--
One-on-one with Jordan Walker and family

Jordan Walker played strictly at point guard in high school and then played off the ball most of the time at Western Michigan, where she had dual roles as a scorer and defender. Her college recruitment included teams from Power 5 conferences until she tore the ACL in her left knee in a spring practice and missed the summer showcase events right before her junior season of high school. While her recovery was rapid at four months and she returned for the high school season, most Power 5 schools had zeroed in on recruiting targets, so Walker joined her sister at Western Michigan – which never stopped recruiting her – after graduating from Mona Shores. She started 23 games as a freshman for the Broncos in 2017-18. Before her sophomore season started in 2018-19, Walker tore the same ACL, as well as the lateral and medial menisci, during an open gym session in the summer and had to redshirt.

Two interesting things. She was not that experienced at PG (only having high school experience). That fact leads me to a massive re-appraisal. She sometimes got rattled under pressure and made mistakes but she was essentially the equivalent of freshman PG. I think her improvement for next season could be massive.

Second, an ACL is a big set back injury and a second tear with additional damage is something that many players might not come back from. Having another off season to rehab her knee should also make a big difference.

Last edited:
Injuries aside, the fact that Walker didn't even play point guard at her previous school should have been a pretty big red flag. Kellie SHOULD have brought in a veteran point guard to stabilize the position until she could recruit and develop one of her own, whether that's Miles or whoever. Now a year later, when it will be an unprecedented offseason of college free agency, Kellie has no excuse not to find an experienced point guard for next season because Miles won't be ready and both Jordans are disasters at pretending to be point guards. If she doesn't, she's an idiot...
Who was available the rules were different last year you had to sit out a season if you were a transfer. Grad Transfers were the only people that could play immediately so can't remember exactly who was available.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
With another year of development, I believe Jordan W. will be a much better player at PG. I don't think Jordan H. will spend much time at PG as she will hold down Rennias old position. I think Miles gets a lot of minutes backing up Walker. Maybe Kellie can find quality help in the portal and can get them signed. If not, that doesn't mean she is an idiot.

[...] Now a year later, when it will be an unprecedented offseason of college free agency, Kellie has no excuse not to find an experienced point guard for next season because Miles won't be ready and both Jordans are disasters at pretending to be point guards. If she doesn't, she's an idiot...
[...] Maybe Kellie can find quality help in the portal and can get them signed. If not, that doesn't mean she is an idiot.

The need is not in question. Kellie's ability as a recruiter is a fair question. The attractiveness of this program to top quality transfer candidates is not without limitations; they have choices, and we may not be the most enticing right now.

The need is not in question. Kellie's ability as a recruiter is a fair question. The attractiveness of this program to top quality transfer candidates is not without limitations; they have choices, and we may not be the most enticing right now.
Darth hates UT and most especially Kellie. He’s just trying to stir the pot as always.

Darth hates UT and most especially Kellie. He’s just trying to stir the pot as always.

For Darth and his friends...
sddefault.jpg

Who was available the rules were different last year you had to sit out a season if you were a transfer. Grad Transfers were the only people that could play immediately so can't remember exactly who was available.

I'm not going to compile an exhaustive list, but names like Stephanie Watts, Kyra Lambert, Raina Perez, Destiny Pitts come to mind among numerous others...

With another year of development, I believe Jordan W. will be a much better player at PG. I don't think Jordan H. will spend much time at PG as she will hold down Rennias old position. I think Miles gets a lot of minutes backing up Walker. Maybe Kellie can find quality help in the portal and can get them signed. If not, that doesn't mean she is an idiot.

How many physically broken players get better with age? Walker is a backup combo guard for a good team, she isn't an SEC starting point guard. I agree Horston is a wing, and should stay there. Regardless of your opinion of the 21 class, I don't think there's much debate Miles looks the least ready to contribute immediately.

Running it back with this bunch is the definition of insanity. Fortunately, I don't think Kellie is an idiot. I feel pretty confident she learned her lesson and will address the position through the portal...

How many physically broken players get better with age? Walker is a backup combo guard for a good team, she isn't an SEC starting point guard. I agree Horston is a wing, and should stay there. Regardless of your opinion of the 21 class, I don't think there's much debate Miles looks the least ready to contribute immediately.

Running it back with this bunch is the definition of insanity. Fortunately, I don't think Kellie is an idiot. I feel pretty confident she learned her lesson and will address the position through the portal...

Is Jordan Walker age 38 or 22? If the latter, age does not enter into the equation. She still has a young body and is rehabbing an ACL tear. So, yes we can definitely expect her to be better next season (in terms of her physical status), barring a setback of some sort.

Stephanie Watts also has an injury history, having been granted an extra year for medical hardship and she also made this statement in regard to her decision to transfer back to UNC:

The team is North Carolina. The place is Chapel Hill. The 23-year-old guard says after a career of wins and losses, game-winners and injuries, program records and head coach exits, there’s nowhere else she’d want to end her academic journey.

"It just didn’t feel right to finish anywhere but UNC,” Watts said.

'There was no close second'

It is a clear sign of Kellie's incompetence that she does not have the necessary mind control powers to make players do things against their will and come to Tennessee. I wonder if a similar mind control failure was in play for the other options you mentioned.

Last edited:
Bout ridden this ole nag to the glue factory Darth. You can do far better. You keep charging KJH with the wrong crime. Obviously there was no "failure to address" the PG need or else Jordan Walker would not be on the roster. Correct charging document for you would be "failure to address in the manner pleasing to Darth."

Hell, make that in the manner pleasing to her and all of us. Unfortunately PGs who are better than Walker and who want to play at Tennessee do not grow on trees. So she addressed it the best she could. You keep beating the failure to address drum bc it makes her look worse I guess.

Bout ridden this ole nag to the glue factory Darth. You can do far better. You keep charging KJH with the wrong crime. Obviously there was no "failure to address" the PG need or else Jordan Walker would not be on the roster. Correct charging document for you would be "failure to address in the manner pleasing to Darth."

Hell, make that in the manner pleasing to her and all of us. Unfortunately PGs who are better than Walker and who want to play at Tennessee do not grow on trees. So she addressed it the best she could. You keep beating the failure to address drum bc it makes her look worse I guess.

agree, this is getting
1616960951400.jpeg

Reactions: Lucy

Ah, I always wondered what this image was about...

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman_d3fead4.jpg

Reactions: Bret178

I can agree we probably need to get a point guard if we can. Also if you recruit a player freshman to come in you have to let them play some minutes see what they can do. Miles is a good prospect may need to be brought along slowly because freshman almost always have to adjust. Her team is still playing going to the state tourney. Walker without the cast could be better or she could be the same. Horston needs to either work this summer to improve her game or we need to play somebody else. So we'll see what happens we will know by the time August rolls around that is when you need to be enrolled. I can agree to a point guard or if we could find a couple players that can shoot the three consistently would be exactly what we need. I think we have to do something year three must move it up a notch. We were better this season than last and can't go backward need to keep it going forward.

Reactions: Darth_Vol

But she didn't even sign a point guard, and I think we saw enough of Walker this year to see WHY she wasn't a point guard at her previous school. I know the "she tried her best" is now the default response when impact transfers/elite recruits go elsewhere. I guess you're right. Even though it's her job to get great players, she can't FORCE them to come here. Maybe if her team was still playing this weekend that would have helped. Oh well, I know she's trying hard so let's keep giving her a pass....

But she didn't even sign a point guard, and I think we saw enough of Walker this year to see WHY she wasn't a point guard at her previous school. I know the "she tried her best" is now the default response when impact transfers/elite recruits go elsewhere. I guess you're right. Even though it's her job to get great players, she can't FORCE them to come here. Maybe if her team was still playing this weekend that would have helped. Oh well, I know she's trying hard so let's keep giving her a pass....

She’s only been here 2 years. You’ve never given her a chance since day 1. Even today, by the most NegaVol measure, the team has improved. What’s wrong with taking a wait and see when improvements are occurring?

I can agree we probably need to get a point guard if we can. Also if you recruit a player freshman to come in you have to let them play some minutes see what they can do. Miles is a good prospect may need to be brought along slowly because freshman almost always have to adjust. Her team is still playing going to the state tourney. Walker without the cast could be better or she could be the same. Horston needs to either work this summer to improve her game or we need to play somebody else. So we'll see what happens we will know by the time August rolls around that is when you need to be enrolled. I can agree to a point guard or if we could find a couple players that can shoot the three consistently would be exactly what we need. I think we have to do something year three must move it up a notch. We were better this season than last and can't go backward need to keep it going forward.
Good points but I have to disagree about Horston. This year was I think a little bit of an anomaly for her. Dealt with Covid (I think), injuries late and played a new position and still had made significant improvement by year end.She will be key for us next year in replacing Rennia’s production. She appears to be a very hard worker and we should be excited about her junior year. IMO.

I see Michigan took Baylor to overtime. I think Michigan was seeded wrong

Michigan finished fourth in their conference and had six losses, including a 16 point loss to Northwestern, a 25 point loss to Maryland, and a 22 point loss to Iowa, a team UConn just beat by 20. Where would you have seeded them?

Good points but I have to disagree about Horston. This year was I think a little bit of an anomaly for her. Dealt with Covid (I think), injuries late and played a new position and still had made significant improvement by year end.She will be key for us next year in replacing Rennia’s production. She appears to be a very hard worker and we should be excited about her junior year. IMO.

As tough as the fanbase has been on her,,,I just hope at this point she is still

Reactions: #1LVLS MAN 4 LIFE
Michigan finished fourth in their conference and had six losses, including a 16 point loss to Northwestern, a 25 point loss to Maryland, and a 22 point loss to Iowa, a team UConn just beat by 20. Where would you have seeded them?

I agree that their seeding was just about right. The reason we have March madness is that sometimes lower seeds find their groove late in the season and play better than their seed would indicate. Michigan was a classic case.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Great players beget great teams, by this I mean what we all know down deep, it is the same in all sports, bring them and it will come.

when UT begins getting the great players again, this constant barrage of criticisms and keyboard experts will find it was never quite in the details, but instead in the obvious.

She’s only been here 2 years. You’ve never given her a chance since day 1. Even today, by the most NegaVol measure, the team has improved. What’s wrong with taking a wait and see when improvements are occurring?

I agree she has done a lot of good things, much better than her predecessor. My biggest problems with her are recruiting, and now postseason coaching.

You can't ignore her success this year has been with players Holly recruited. She couldn't recruit players necessary to sustain success at NC State and I don't yet see evidence she will be able to do that here either. You're right, she has been here two years. Enough time to make inroads in recruiting.

And people can "aw shucks" the Michigan loss all they want, but Kellie had the talent to make the Sweet 16 this year and she failed. It was a massive setback for a lot of reasons. Pretty much par for the course in her 17 year career of of "meh" postseasons. Rick Barnes 2.0???

Reactions: Bsport and mcannon1
I agree she has done a lot of good things, much better than her predecessor. My biggest problems with her are recruiting, and now postseason coaching.

You can't ignore her success this year has been with players Holly recruited. She couldn't recruit players necessary to sustain success at NC State and I don't yet see evidence she will be able to do that here either. You're right, she has been here two years. Enough time to make inroads in recruiting.

And people can "aw shucks" the Michigan loss all they want, but Kellie had the talent to make the Sweet 16 this year and she failed. It was a massive setback for a lot of reasons. Pretty much par for the course in her 17 year career of of "meh" postseasons. Rick Barnes 2.0???
I just finished watching another Michigan game, this one the men's game against Florida State, The parallels between the Lady Vols/UM matchup are striking. Florida State, like the Lady Vols, is long and athletic, but they, like the Vols, lack a point guard. Michigan's point guard gave up 7-8 inches but was able to control the flow of the game with his quickness. It is not like Florida State's coach is bad, it just seems like having a game control guard becomes important in high-pressure games. I think the two games against Michigan show the fact that two programs with great athletes are missing a piece.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
I just finished watching another Michigan game, this one the men's game against Florida State, The parallels between the Lady Vols/UM matchup are striking. Florida State, like the Lady Vols, is long and athletic, but they, like the Vols, lack a point guard. Michigan's point guard gave up 7-8 inches but was able to control the flow of the game with his quickness. It is not like Florida State's coach is bad, it just seems like having a game control guard becomes important in high-pressure games. I think the two games against Michigan show the fact that two programs with great athletes are missing a piece.

It's almost like grabbing a point guard in the offseason might have been a good idea... 🤔

VN Store

Back