Aftermath of Lady Vols Loss to Michigan

I just finished watching another Michigan game, this one the men's game against Florida State, The parallels between the Lady Vols/UM matchup are striking. Florida State, like the Lady Vols, is long and athletic, but they, like the Vols, lack a point guard. Michigan's point guard gave up 7-8 inches but was able to control the flow of the game with his quickness. It is not like Florida State's coach is bad, it just seems like having a game control guard becomes important in high-pressure games. I think the two games against Michigan show the fact that two programs with great athletes are missing a piece.

Absolutely. That was our missing peace all season. What’s interesting is Michigan was actually missing their regular starting PG in our game. Very good coaching and play to have someone slide over last minute and execute well.

Michigan finished fourth in their conference and had six losses, including a 16 point loss to Northwestern, a 25 point loss to Maryland, and a 22 point loss to Iowa, a team UConn just beat by 20. Where would you have seeded them?

Good question. I’m not sure because I have not studied the rest of the WBB teams across the country. Based upon the 2 games I saw them play, I think they looked better than a 6 seed. At the time we played them, they were ranked 15/16 in the country. That’s all I can tell you.

Good points but I have to disagree about Horston. This year was I think a little bit of an anomaly for her. Dealt with Covid (I think), injuries late and played a new position and still had made significant improvement by year end.She will be key for us next year in replacing Rennia’s production. She appears to be a very hard worker and we should be excited about her junior year. IMO.
I agree haven't given up on her at all just talking about a little insurance policy at point guard. I also am more inclined to let her play the two guard position since we no longer have Rennia and Burrell can move to the three. What we really need is three point shooter that can also defend none of the incoming freshmen are outstanding at that. Puckett did shoot 33 percent over her career. I think Wynn was at 29 and have no information about Miles three point shooting. If we could go in the portal get a player or two to take the stress off of the freshmen having to do to much definitely would help. I expect several players to be better but their is no guarantee they will. So if there is an established player in the portal would be inclined to bring them on the team.

Reactions: Lucy
As tough as the fanbase has been on her,,,I just hope at this point she is still
If Jordan Horston looks back at the first half of her career and decides comments of random fans are her problem than she is in real trouble and will not improve. If fanbase grumbling demotivates her from trying to things around in the offseason then she was a recruiting mistake to begin with, not emotionally ready for the primetime stage.

Fortunately, I don't believe that for a minute, its just you overdramatizing as usual.

I agree she has done a lot of good things, much better than her predecessor. My biggest problems with her are recruiting, and now postseason coaching.

Rick Barnes 2.0???

Glad to see that at least one of your misgivings can be set aside given that Barnes has recruited some ace talent (particularly guards) recently. If Kellie emulates that, you should be thrilled beyond compare.

Reactions: Lucy
I am not familiar with scholarship limits, first time counters etc.. How many players from the portal can we take? It was my understanding (probably wrong?) that players signed from the portal are considered as part of you first time counters and UT can only take one more. Is that correct?

Presumably all of them were willing to be form a super, snyder cut justice league unity if only Fulmer had just asked but alas....
Maybe Becky Hammond with lots of dollars and convince her life with her kids and significant other would be much better in college than horrible grind of NBA

I am not familiar with scholarship limits, first time counters etc.. How many players from the portal can we take? It was my understanding (probably wrong?) that players signed from the portal are considered as part of you first time counters and UT can only take one more. Is that correct?
With the current roster and everyone staying probably would not take anybody or one at the most. Teams can go over the scholarship limit next season doubt anyone will do it. Were at 14 next season.

Reactions: Raebo
What we really need is three point shooter that can also defend none of the incoming freshmen are outstanding at that. Puckett did shoot 33 percent over her career. I think Wynn was at 29 and have no information about Miles three point shooting.

Ironic, since I keep hearing about what great shooting this class will bring to the team...

Ironic, since I keep hearing about what great shooting this class will bring to the team...
Puckett and Wynn shoot around 50 percent on all shots 33 and 29 percent on the threes. Striplin shot over 60 percent for all shot attempts and 88 percent from the free throw line. Her three point shot was something like 3 for 11 as she didn't take enough threes to know how she shoots from there. I'm high on all three as eventually being effective players not expecting any of them to be super stars as freshmen. Three point shooting is the glaring stat that usually gets us beat and certainly will again if we are not better in scoring from there next season. Michigan made nine three pointers we made two of 16 attempts that is the most telling reason we lost that game.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
We'll have to agree to disagree. You're example of parents having a say so on a high school team is a world away from a couple of dozen fan forum posters having influence, especially on a big time college program. Obviously fan support as in buying tickets and making donations is important. We are not

I'm aware its very important to some posters to believe we count more in the actual real LV world than we do. Don't tell them, but we don't count at all.

Team support by fans and parents means a lot no matter if it is college or high school, especially to coaches and player. Do not underestimate the value of such support.

Reactions: 007Racer
have been on biz in Florida this past week but did want to contribute let's get back to the days when Pat demanded the best...
Suarez and any others must get in shape so they can run the floor.... get a PG who is at least capable and not TO prone.... focus on fundamentals and effort.... everyone talks recruits.... but we have been beaten by ham n eggers who just wanted it more than we did.... the old saying hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.....

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Unless there's posts I'm not seeing, exactly NO ONE is promoting fire KJH. Some say if we had hired an elite we would have a better chance of returning to elite status sooner. Almost all realize probably no elite coaches would take the job, even if the AD would pony up the money. You're setting up an exaggerated false narrative

Also, not landing an elite coach or recruit has zero to do with our "low rating" anyone or anything, nor anything else that gets posted here. We have zero powers to "give things a chance". What we say and think counts for nada, we're just unqualified armchair critics. Chances will be decided by the Athletic Department. In the truest tradition of internet sports fans forums, jumping to meaningless conclusions is what we do.
Excellent and insightful post, glv98

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98

VN Store

Back