After watching the news Conf. Which coach impressed the most?

I just want to not feel like I am a better coach than they are and can literally call every play before the snap.

I want to be surprised by the coach. If I can sit at home and know the plays a DC actuslly being paid to do it clearly can too.

It's really not that much to ask.

That's how low my bar is now.

To me, they all seem to be on the same page. I like that they come in with no starters in mind and will evaluate every one. Also, multiple coaches said they watched every throw our qbs have made in the last season. I love it. Now let's put it on the field.

Ladies and gents,

I finally believe our new HC and his Team of O coaches really are actually serious footVol coaches.

I honestly believe they all know the game, understand the clear vision our HC has and exactly what he wants to do.

I also believe that all of them know exactly how to Teach our players exactly what they want done and exactly how to get it done.

I believe they're going to Teach fundamentals until our players wake up in the middle of the night and are moving their feet correctly while mostly asleep on the way to the bathroom.

Young, hungry, energetic, dedicated real footVol coaches have just invaded the Hill with serious chips on their shoulders and are ready and able to prove the naysayers how wrong they are.

Hope and optomism IS alive at the University of Tennessee!

I seriously love my Vols and I'm ON this train for good or worse!

Get the rest of the coaches hired and on the Hill and get busy installing the O because I'm ready to see the scoreboard start getting lit up!

VFL...GBO!!!

These coaches are going to win at UT. They will produce an enjoyable product to watch and cheer for. They seem to be men of character who will shoot straight with the young men who they coach and put the players in positions to compete and win.
I didn’t see this. Are they usually posted on YouTube afterward?

RB coach Jerry Mack was extremely impressive. He’s been a successful HC and he sounded like it.

The OC/TE coach Golesh seems extremely smart and articulate and well versed in the system.

Also, loved the QB coach. He got me fired up and I can see him recruiting the QB position well.

All were great tbh.

So, I don't ever remember a head coach doing this. But this press conference built my confidence a ton in Heupel and what he is doing.

Every coach had a clear detailed method for what they are doing. You can tell that they know what they're talking about and that they truly are bought in to the system and that they are close.

They definitely made Heupel sound like a genius. I hope he is.

The proof will be in August. But I really believe we are in good hands.

And Ty Simpson, or any QB worth his salt would be an idiot to not consider coming here. Halzle had me feeling pumped, and if I'm a QB, I can't help but want to come here and whip it.

Coach Halzle spoke that we are going to move the ball downfield and do it fast. Like that he has been with CJH for years.
Kodi Burns- like that he is a former QB who translates that to WR, believe he will nail it on the recruiting trail to with his personality, experience and youth.

RB coach Jerry Mack was extremely impressive. He’s been a successful HC and he sounded like it.

The OC/TE coach Golesh seems extremely smart and articulate and well versed in the system.

Also, loved the QB coach. He got me fired up and I can see him recruiting the QB position well.

All were great tbh.

I liked that Coach Mack was already recruiting to the camera during his segment.

After thinking about this a little more something occurred to me. IMO, Heupel is confident but really not self-assuming at all. Jones was decidedly a self-promoter. Pruitt in his own way was also a self-promoter. Heupel is the first UT coach I can remember whose assistants seemed to be more impressed with him than he is with himself.

I am not saying that guarantees success by any stretch.... but I would consider it a positive.

Coach Halzle spoke that we are going to move the ball downfield and do it fast. Like that he has been with CJH for years.
Kodi Burns- like that he is a former QB who translates that to WR, believe he will nail it on the recruiting trail to with his personality, experience and youth.
Yeah. I am anxious and positive at the same time that every one of those guys indicated that their mental expectations of players was going to rise significantly. Burns mentioned that he wanted the WR's thinking like a QB. Hazle and others talked about training and setting the QB's up for success then putting decision making responsibility in their hands. The OC and OL coaches talked about the mental aspects of playing OL in their system.

When it works... it puts opposing D's on their heels and keeps them there. If they aren't on the same sheet of music... it can go bad in a hurry. BUT... there is a LOT more room for error in an aggressive approach. When the other side is in reaction mode... they aren't in a position to take advantage if someone isn't perfect in their assignments. If nothing else... we shouldn't hear a lot about 10 guys doing their job and a play being stopped by one guy not being perfect.

After thinking about this a little more something occurred to me. IMO, Heupel is confident but really not self-assuming at all. Jones was decidedly a self-promoter. Pruitt in his own way was also a self-promoter. Heupel is the first UT coach I can remember whose assistants seemed to be more impressed with him than he is with himself.

I am not saying that guarantees success by any stretch.... but I would consider it a positive.
That's leadership. Butch was worried about putting people in place that could take him job. Dooley was pontifical, Pruitt was not afraid of a smarter than him staff, he just didnt let them be who they are and handcuffed them.

That's leadership. Butch was worried about putting people in place that could take him job. Dooley was pontifical, Pruitt was not afraid of a smarter than him staff, he just didnt let them be who they are and handcuffed them.
You are definitely right. It is an indication of a significant difference in leadership styles.

My take on Dooley is different. I think he was a baby seal trying to find a safe place when Jaws attacked. IMHO, he realized within the first year that the job was too big for him and beyond the commitment he wanted to give regardless. By the end of the 2nd year he was broken and wanted out. What you saw as pontificating... I saw as a desperate guy thrashing around trying to look like the coach he knew he wasn't.

I think the guy literally quit in year 3. He still went through the motions but there was almost no effort in recruiting. He seemed resigned to his fate.

Pruitt was more subtle than you might expect... but after a while his "it starts with me" began to be code for "I have to deal with and make up for incompetent people around me". I wanted Pruitt to succeed and still think he's a good teacher of the game. I think he can still succeed as a position coach or DC. I don't think he can succeed as an HC without changing quite a bit. He's probably where he needs to stay.

I never bought into Jones at all. I think he was nothing more than a used car salesman constantly overselling himself and his "product" to everyone- recruits, players, fans, administration, media, etc. That's why it had an initial "splash" effect.... and why it was so short lived. The guy had no substance.

Reactions: Majors
Success is defined by those you serve or coach with, doing their best. Enjoying the game, playing smart and as a team, not worrying about the score but doing your job, the one you are trained to do and trusting your teammates or buddies to do theirs. Winning is a byproduct of an individual or collective group doing their best and never giving up. CJH doesn’t need to blow his own horn, results, combined with his assistant coaches and players doing their best will sound the loudest.

Yes he did. I know because I seen it 👍🏻
200.gif

I thought all of them were personable, knowledgeable, and on the same page. My largest concern is how they will be able to recruit against all the established SEC coaches. I think it may take this year to prove they can replicate CJH's offensive production in the SEC to get the HS offensive players to buy in. I do have confidence they will prove that. Depending on the rest of the hires on defense, it remains to be seen how effective they can recruit, and how effective CTB is at calling his own plays. This will be the first year of his career he will do this. However, having Garner and Martinez (likely) will help with many years of SEC experience on that side of the ball.

First impression was that they seem to have a higher degree of modern day offensive football "intelligence" than previous staff but we all know that was a "low bar" to surpass. As a group they seem much more professional, articulate and generally more comfortable in a press conference setting than what we have seen in recent years. I was most impressed with QB coach. Comments about fitting the scheme to the QB's capabilities and having the "football intelligence" to react to what the defense is doing might seem obvious but the previous staff was totally impotent in teaching this. If this staff can teach this, it would be the first progress on the offensive side since Dobbs was here. And I am convinced that Dobbs was only successful because of his own intelligence and skill set, not because of the "coaching" he received.
This is why I remain somewhat hopeful about the hire and staff. On paper, it's at least our best hire since Butch. Butch took us as high as we'd been in a very long time. Failed in the end but a lot of that was due to rigidity in scheme and ego. Football is a tough sport to coach, but it's ultimately a matchup sport. As long as you can get creative yet simple, you can do good things with our talent.

This is why I remain somewhat hopeful about the hire and staff. On paper, it's at least our best hire since Butch. Butch took us as high as we'd been in a very long time. Failed in the end but a lot of that was due to rigidity in scheme and ego. Football is a tough sport to coach, but it's ultimately a matchup sport. As long as you can get creative yet simple, you can do good things with our talent.
Completely agree, especially with "creative yet SIMPLE." I think there is ample data that CJH will definitely handle the creative piece. My concern is with the "SIMPLE." In recent years our QBs have stared down single receivers, not thrown to wide open receivers and at times have seemed clueless as to what the defense was doing in front of them. I am hoping this was due to poor "teaching" and not due to a lack of inate ability to mentally process situations at SEC game speed. The good news is that most of the QBs in play for next year have rarely seen the field so there is hope that they do not suffer from this affliction.

Reactions: b_gann
Completely agree, especially with "creative yet SIMPLE." I think there is ample data that CJH will definitely handle the creative piece. My concern is with the "SIMPLE." In recent years our QBs have stared down single receivers, not thrown to wide open receivers and at times have seemed clueless as to what the defense was doing in front of them. I am hoping this was due to poor "teaching" and not due to a lack of inate ability to mentally process situations at SEC game speed. The good news is that most of the QBs in play for next year have rarely seen the field so there is hope that they do not suffer from this affliction.
From what I've read on him, he loves to hit the deep ball down the side w/ a mix of run game and RPO. The frustrating part about the last two staffs is not taking what our players could do well (Kamara catching the ball, Marquez fades, Eric Berry speed, etc.) and taking advantage of it. I've always had the hunch that JG suffered from game nerves. We always heard great in practice, great in practice. He also seemed to do better off the bench. To me, that says game nerves and tunnel vision. I think that's why he tended to do better when facing the heat. He had to just go gut instinct vs. thinking.

VN Store

Back