Admiral also mentioning Barnes and how he handles officials

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
With what Turner said and now this, it’s kind of interesting to see this. Might have been an issue all year within the team. No team is perfect but Barnes have to reconsider his approach towards officials for next year.

I don't like this at all. Bad look, imo, especially after the full page ad and the development that he is owes a lot to Barnes for helping to make it happen. Yes, I know Admiral had to do the work and also did a lot of it on his own. U have to assume, that Barnes helped lay out of plan on what Schofield needed to work on, in his individual workouts. Seems like one of those times where a kid needs to just keep his mouth shut and/or not hit "send", imo

With what Turner said and now this, it’s kind of interesting to see this. Might have been an issue all year within the team. No team is perfect but Barnes have to reconsider his approach towards officials for next year.

Yep. The thing is what makes anyone think a coach is going to change his approach to something 33 years into a career. He definitely doesn't seem to change things strategy wise in the court.

We got plenty of calls this year. More than I can ever recall a UT team getting.

He was pretty irate about the call against Turner vs Iowa.

I wonder if his comments about that being a foul after Turner so vehemently said it wasn’t (and ignoring what we personally think of the call) was kind of a stab to the team. I wonder if they took that personally and felt Rick didn’t stand up for them there. Just full speculating but that might be the case here.

Turner fouled Edwards. Period. You can’t put a ref in a position where he even has to think about blowing a whistle in that situation. It was an effort mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.
It's not even about the call. The fact that both Admiral and Turner are speaking out so vocally about this would seem to indicate Barnes' handling of the refs this season was a big issue behind the scenes.

Calls don't make a damn bit of difference considering how this team went through passive spells when they just didn't show up for entire halfs several times this season. 4 of 13 from the line in 1st half against purdue. Allowed Iowa to overcome a 25 point deficit to get back into the game prior to that. This team lacks consistent focus for some reason and CRB is well aware of that. Bad calls are gonna happen forever and there's nothing anyone can do about it. However if this team could have learned to keep their heads in the game at a higher rate we wouldn't be discussing bad calls period. GBO

Barnes took us from bottom dwellers in the SEC to Sweet Sixteen contenders with less talent than the other big schools.

I don’t think Barnes has been the “issue” all year.

If anything, a lot of his players should be thanking him that they actually got some coaching this time unlike Cuonzo and Tyndall.

It's not even about the call. The fact that both Admiral and Turner are speaking out so vocally about this would seem to indicate Barnes' handling of the refs this season was a big issue behind the scenes.
Barnes has been a D1 head coach over 30 years. Players knew, or should’ve known, that he isn’t the type to go on four-letter word tirades. If they didn’t like that, they could’ve signed with Wisconsin-Green Bay or whatever mid-major program their second best offer was after UT.

After this and LT tweet. I expect Grant and Jordan to declare and hire agent today. That seems like the next sequence of events.

Barnes is a softie to the refs and they take advantage of him. He is always agreeing with them.. Better take up for your players coach or you're going to lose them

I love Admiral but I think what lost the Purdue game was zero offense in the 1st half and embarrassingly awful free throw shooting in 1st half, coupled with Cline nailing every single 3 pointer he shot from within the entire building. Had Barnes done this and received 1 technical call...the Purdue game doesn't make it in to overtime. Then all we'd hear is how Barnes cost his players a game because he couldn't control himself.....

As for Barnes, it is not his personality nor demeanor to yell and scream at anyone. He's a really nice fella. Too nice? Maybe? But he made a decision years ago to change his behavior and not to use the foul language and behavior he once displayed.

So, if this is what his players and the fans want......they aren't gonna get it from Barnes.

I love Admiral but I think what lost the Purdue game was zero offense in the 1st half and embarrassingly awful free throw shooting in 1st half, coupled with Cline nailing every single 3 pointer he shot from within the entire building. Had Barnes done this and received 1 technical call...the Purdue game doesn't make it in to overtime. Then all we'd hear is how Barnes cost his players a game because he couldn't control himself.....

As for Barnes, it is not his personality nor demeanor to yell and scream at anyone. He's a really nice fella. Too nice? Maybe? But he made a decision years ago to change his behavior and not to use the foul language and behavior he once displayed.

So, if this is what his players and the fans want......they aren't gonna get it from Barnes.

Agreed, If the "players" not the coach had hit 70 % of their free throws in regulation Tennessee wins the game. No question. Sometimes one simply needs to look in the mirror.

Barnes is a softie to the refs and they take advantage of him. He is always agreeing with them.. Better take up for your players coach or you're going to lose them

Being calm means always agreeing with the officials?

Not sure what you’ve been watching but there’s been many controversial calls Barnes has disagreed with this season.

He just chooses not to show his a** or else, our fans would say he’s too hot headed.

Your taking this way out of context. Pretty sure Admiral was just having some fun.

Barnes has been a D1 head coach over 30 years. Players knew, or should’ve known, that he isn’t the type to go on four-letter word tirades. If they didn’t like that, they could’ve signed with Wisconsin-Green Bay or whatever mid-major program their second best offer was after UT.
Yep. Couldn't help but think yesterday that if I'm a top D1 prospect, my top four coaches would be: Jay Wright, Barnes, Coach K, Pearl. They all seem to care about their players, and get equal to greater results not screaming all over the place. In fact, you don't see Jay Wright undressing the officials, and he's won 2 of last 4 championships...so, I don't think demeanor on bench vs officials has much, if anything to do with anything. I see guys having to hold Izzo back from psychotic rants against other players or seeing that idiot or that cry baby Will Wade, and just think unless someone's paying me a bunch of cash, I'm not playing for them...

VN Store

Back