AD White - Thoughts So Far?

He seems qualified and hungry to prove himself on the national stage. He's young, charismatic and shows more passion for the job than our previous ADs. I think it's a good fit.

He hired Leipold, Frost, & Heupel. Great track record for a younger AD.

The fact the coaching search landed on Heupel and seemed to consider Leipold isnt really surprising. I think both are acceptable coaches given our current situation. Makes sense he goes with the younger guy. Personally think it would have been fun to see Leipold in the SEC, though I think he would have probably wanted to retain most of his previous staff -- something that would not bode well for recruiting in the SEC.

Good thing for him is that our previous ADs have been so tremendously incompetent that he probably won't receive any criticism until at least Y3. After that, gloves come off. There are some clauses in the contract that show White looking out for his buddy Heupel. That could come to bite him in the butt if Heupel ends up falling on his face in conference and Vol fans force him out Y3.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Yep.

Every hire the last 15 years is excited to be here and going to change the culture.

Its all window dressing and platitudes from these guys.

And at the end of the day, they are employees at a university we all follow who are climbing the career ladder.

If they succeed, they will probably try to move on. If they fail, they will collect nice buyouts set by the market for their professions. Frankly don't understand the need of so many on here to act like they are on a first name basis with these coaches and ADs.
They are BFFs until the first loss.
After the 5th loss they use clever nicknames.
Fooley, Hornblower, Gump.
I can see it now, End the HYPE, Fahr coach.
Coming this season.

The better question is I wonder what Danny White's thoughts are?
  1. Oh S##t what have I gotten myself into.
  2. I love a good challenge lets get this done.
  3. Wow I have never had this much trouble hiring staff.
  4. The drama is much worse than people were saying. I am ready to get out of this place.
  5. Time to roll up my sleeves and put another star in my crown.
  6. Other not listed
One gets the distinct impression Dan White does not voluntarily walk into a situation without a pretty clear understanding of the circumstances and dynamics at play.

That would make your #1, #3, and #4 seem unlikely. Perhaps #3, a little.

They are BFFs until the first loss.
After the 5th loss they use clever nicknames.
Fooley, Hornblower, Gump.
I can see it now, End the HYPE, Fahr coach.
Coming this season.

Probably so.

Comes with the territory of being in the spotlight I guess.

For the record, I do like the messages coming out of the program now and the attitudes of White and Heupel far more than what we saw the last 3 years.

I am also excited and optimistic that the offense will finally transition into the 21st century.

I am more about results on the field though.

Didn't our forefathers create this nation based on the idea that we are all on a first-name basis?
Go to the cesspool that is Washington DC and find an elected official or high ranking bureaucrat that would tolerate the common folk addressing them by first name.
"All men are created equal" has always been a farce in this country.
The "have nots'" will always be subservient to the "haves".
Just like in every nation that has ever been on Earth.

The guy is making an insane salary. Of course he’s stoked to be part of the Vol family. All it means is that his family is set for life financially. I think he will try to succeed here but let’s not pretend that a guy making 1.5 mil a year is sooooooo happy to be part of a family that routinely eats its own. He is on the clock and he has little to no goodwill to use up. I hope he succeeds but my faith in these suits has been worn down to a nub.

This mindset is why we can never have nothing nice. Yes, he's making a nice salary, but he's also all about EARNING that salary and giving the University its money's worth. He's not on the clock, well anyones clock who's opinion actually matters. How's he on the clock when he's been on the job 31 days??? Like Keshawn says, "Come On Man!!!!!

This mindset is why we can never have nothing nice. Yes, he's making a nice salary, but he's also all about EARNING that salary and giving the University its money's worth. He's not on the clock, well anyones clock who's opinion actually matters. How's he on the clock when he's been on the job 31 days??? Like Keshawn says, "Come On Man!!!!!
The clock starts when the contract is signed.
New AD will stay only as long as New Coach's record allows.
Win or be gone.
The Rah-Rah bullshoot is strictly for Joe Fan Six-Pack who as you accurately describe do not matter.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
Go to the cesspool that is Washington DC and find an elected official or high ranking bureaucrat that would tolerate the common folk addressing them by first name.
"All men are created equal" has always been a farce in this country.
The "have nots'" will always be subservient to the "haves".
Just like in every nation that has ever been on Earth.
Another cynic, Tnutater? Goodness, it's becoming an epidemic.

I can't agree with you. I think anyone can become anything in this country, limited only by the gifts God has given each of us. Including, most importantly, a willingness to work hard and an ability to be smart about it.

I've spent a significant amount of time around politicians, particularly those who represented North Carolina and Virginia a decade ago, but some Tennesseans as well. A lot of them were good people; a few weren't. Most were happy to use first names, and--whether it was an act or sincere--treat all around them as peers. A few were a bit big for their britches, granted, but most understood they were serving the people, not being served by them.

I think it's easy to believe the worst of people we've never met, especially people we perceive as having more (power, $$, fame, whatever) than us.

Last edited:
In all fairness, I never saw where Dan Snyder had any opinion about John Currie. He struggles enough with the whole Washington Football Club thing.

I had the chance to encounter Mike Hamilton a couple of times. He does not get enough credit for being a monumental clown.

HA! My bad ... I meant Bill Snyder.

Another cynic, Tnutater? Goodness, it's becoming an epidemic.

I can't agree with you. I think anyone can become anything in this country, limited only by the gifts God has given each of us. Including, most importantly, a willingness to work hard and an ability to be smart about it.

I've spent a significant amount of time around politicians, particularly those who represented North Carolina and Virginia a decade ago, but some Tennesseans as well. A lot of them were good people; a few weren't. Most were happy to use first names, and--whether it was an act or sincere--treat all around them as peers. A few were a bit big for their britches, granted, but most understood they were serving the people, not being served by them.

I think it's easy to believe the worst of people we've never met, especially people we perceive as having more (power, $$, fame, whatever) than us.
We can agree to disagree.
I have been asked to use their first names only when making a contribution or delivering a bribe. Mostly in Nashville. A couple times in DC. Politicians are only interested in getting re-elected and making bank. Asking for a vote does not count. The higher the office, the more the feeling of superiority and entitlement. If you go hat in hand to a pol asking for something you damn sure better bow and scrape Always works better with cash in hand. Life is like a poop sandwich, the more bread you have the less poop you gotta eat.
But I digress, the familiarity that some think they enjoy with New Coach and New AD was the discussion. Love to Hate is a very short journey in Knoxville.

Best I have seen here in at least 30 years. He was educated to be an AD and the skills run in the family.

In all fairness, I never saw where Dan Snyder had any opinion about John Currie. He struggles enough with the whole Washington Football Club thing.

I had the chance to encounter Mike Hamilton a couple of times. He does not get enough credit for being a monumental clown.

HA! My bad ... I meant Bill Snyder.

No, after years of incompetence, I need to see results. Talk is cheap and UT has been all talk in football for about 20 years now. I will judge Danny White by the results of the coach(es) he hires. I’m not an unreasonable person. I don’t expect Heupel to win 10 games next season. But the “just wait until next year” needs to go. Danny White earns his salary when it looks like he’s got all the major programs going in the right direction. Until then he hasn’t earned anything. You say this is why we can’t have nice things. I say 4 terrible HCs in a row is why we can’t have nice things.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I like ADW energy, but I need substance. I’m hopeful CJH will be successful, but with 3 people now released from the NLI and many players in the portal, coupled with an incomplete coaching staff makes me feel we are not making progress.

Looking to be pleasantly surprised or at the very least entertained.

VN Store

Back