AD White - Thoughts So Far?

His stoked because of the pay increase like everyone else would be. Time will tell how successful he will be. Soldiers of fortune who will turn tail and leave if things don’t go as planned.
Some people do things for the passion and not simply the money. Not saying he doesn’t like the raise but what I see when watching him is pure excite.

Perhaps apathy has gotten the best of me..... I haven’t even been keeping up with what’s been going on

Reactions: Spawn
His stoked because of the pay increase like everyone else would be. Time will tell how successful he will be. Soldiers of fortune who will turn tail and leave if things don’t go as planned.

Yep.

Every hire the last 15 years is excited to be here and going to change the culture.

Its all window dressing and platitudes from these guys.

And at the end of the day, they are employees at a university we all follow who are climbing the career ladder.

If they succeed, they will probably try to move on. If they fail, they will collect nice buyouts set by the market for their professions. Frankly don't understand the need of so many on here to act like they are on a first name basis with these coaches and ADs.

I have to say that I really like how he just goes about his business very professionally and quite without any kind of boasting and look at me type attitude. It's kinda nice to have adults in charge

Perhaps apathy has gotten the best of me..... I haven’t even been keeping up with what’s been going on

Not a bad spot to be in. Here is a cliff notes version of recent happenings.

Pruitt was fired for giving out Mcdonalds bags full of money to players and Fulmer wormed another unearned buyout from the school on the way out.

They hired the UF coaches brother from UCF to take over. He is named after a former Dallas QB and seems excited to be here.

He interviewed somewhere between 3 and 71 potential head coaching candidates depending on who you ask or read.

Settled on setting up a University of Central Florida North Campus and brought his guy on board. This guy has a two syllable name that is very difficult to pronounce. Heupel was good at OK until he wasn't and bounced around some since then.

Everyone is really excited that the offense may be able to break 30 points consistently for the first time in 3 years.

AD White - Thoughts So Far?

tenor.gif

Every hire the last 15 years is excited to be here and going to change the culture.

Its all window dressing and platitudes from these guys.
That's pretty cynical, JonGrudensAgent.

Let me ask: do you believe anyone in the world is sincere? Perhaps just a small percentage? Are you surrounded by insincere people in your life? If that's the case, I regret it for you, but it would make your attitude coherent.

Or, alternatively, maybe you never give strangers the benefit of the doubt. Since you don't know anyone working for the University, you conclude they're all just "window dressing and platitudes." Is that it?

Or, a third possibility, you have some specific reason for believing folks like Donde Plowman, Danny White, and Josh Heupel are more facetious than everyone else. Do you?

What drives your perspective, Agent? If you're willing to share it, I mean.

Reactions: kcvols1
The post has realism all over it. I am talking about DW, so not sure why I would bring up anything about previous coaches or seasons. DW tenure started long after the fire was started, he has the backbone to come in and try to put it out. It is not possible to speak anything negative about current AD or coaches. Until they prove me wrong, they will have my full support. Thanks for your point of view. It is always good to agree to disagree without getting nasty. Go Vols!
I referred to other coaches because it is all so closely related to obvious success and failure. Nothing "wrong" with your optimism as I thought the same over the last fifteen years with all the new hires. I guess I am not "getting my hopes up" this time until I see a record of positive results on the filed.

Frankly, right now, I do not get excited about Tennessee whether they win or lose and I have been a fan for about sixty years. With the fifteen year history of a losing program coupled with the need for colleges seeing the need to give us a social justice lesson I have become ambivalent to Tennessee and sports in general. I hope you are correct and time will tell whether I get my enthusiasm back. THANK YOU for your service from a veteran as well. Army, Airborne MP!

Thank you, and you'd be intrigued by the possible plans that may have been set in motion long ago when Fulmer was inserted as a temporary fix as the Athletic Director. The original intention of that being temporary allowed for a lot of pre-planning and scenarios to play out in the athletic administration industry (allegedly). Foundations are laid long before you see the building begin to rise from the earth.
Fulmer was put in place because the cheap administration was to lazy to look.

Fulmer was put in place because the cheap administration was to lazy to look.
GreyWater's response was not concerned with the choice of Fulmer specifically, but with what the temporary nature of his hire brought into motion. It could have been anyone. The point is what came after; GWC's implication being that the search for a new AD culminating three years later in the apparently quick selection of Dan White actually began way back then.

I get it, you didn't like the selection of Fulmer as AD. But you're making that point to the wrong person.

Last edited:
That's pretty cynical, JonGrudensAgent.

Let me ask: do you believe anyone in the world is sincere? Perhaps just a small percentage? Are you surrounded by insincere people in your life? If that's the case, I regret it for you, but it would make your attitude coherent.

Or, alternatively, maybe you never give strangers the benefit of the doubt. Since you don't know anyone working for the University, you conclude they're all just "window dressing and platitudes." Is that it?

Or, a third possibility, you have some specific reason for believing folks like Donde Plowman, Danny White, and Josh Heupel are more facetious than everyone else. Do you?

What drives your perspective, Agent? If you're willing to share it, I mean.

If the perspective of being a Vol fan and watching the past 16 years of this program isn't enough to give one pause when it comes to these press conferences and rolling cast of coaches, then my personal perspective certainly isn't going to change anything.

If the perspective of being a Vol fan and watching the past 16 years of this program isn't enough to give one pause when it comes to these press conferences and rolling cast of coaches, then my personal perspective certainly isn't going to change anything.
That's just it, though. You and I have both been Vol fans for the past 16 years. You respond to the hiring of DW and JH with cynicism, I respond with hope. So it's not all attributable to the Dark Ages. Part of it has to be differences in our outlooks, our perspectives. Just trying to understand what it is about yours that makes you and me see things so differently. Trying to understand you.

It's been obvious given so many missteps within the AD that a change was needed. Fulmer just didn't do his job. And now we are paying the price. Bringing in an experienced AD is already showing benefits. He is cleaning house and bringing in top notch administrators. Sadly this was past due. The whole recruiting and compliance staff has been totally rebuilt. These hires have received extensive praise. This is encouraging. Also looks like they have hit the ground running. There's still a lot to be done.

DW's energy and commitment is a refreshing change. He's showing the kind of leadership that has been sorely lacking over the recent past. This whole "secrecy/ leaks" nonsense has been a fun thing to watch. I bet he gets a huge laugh when he sees the local press guys scrambling to get "insider" news. Gotta love it!!!! I think we have made a great hire with DW. Looking for things all across the AD to improve.

There is an administrative cultural shift going on and I like it. What I see and hear elevates us to a more sophisticated level that understands the business and public relations aspects of running a multimillion dollar business. It represents what an institution of higher learning should exhibit in a university with major power five traditions.

Last edited:
GreyWater's response was not concerned with the choice of Fulmer specifically, but with what the temporary nature of his hire brought into motion. It could have been anyone. The point is what came after; GWC's implication being that the search for a new AD culminating three years later in the apparently quick selection of Dan White actually began way back then.

I get it, you didn't like the selection of Fulmer as AD. But you're making that point to the wrong person.
You have to look at the situation from both sides. While appointing Fulmer temporarily, it could have afforded an opportunity to perform and complete a longer term search for the ultimate long-term successor for Athletic Director. Now, I would say that was thwarted by the extension of time in the role provided to Fulmer; so that disrupted that plan if anyone may have had it. On the other hand, it could have provided a situation for interested athletic administrators around the country to place advance scouts into roles around the athletic department to gain knowledge that might be beneficial to obtaining the job or planning and executing quickly if being hired. All of this would be speculation and theory.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
You have to look at the situation from both sides. While appointing Fulmer temporarily, it could have afforded an opportunity to perform and complete a longer term search for the ultimate long-term successor for Athletic Director. Now, I would say that was thwarted by the extension of time in the role provided to Fulmer; so that disrupted that plan if anyone may have had it. On the other hand, it could have provided a situation for interested athletic administrators around the country to place advance scouts into roles around the athletic department to gain knowledge that might be beneficial to obtaining the job or planning and executing quickly if being hired. All of this would be speculation and theory.
I understand. And that, dear GWC, sounds utterly Machiavellian. A source (or rather sources, plural; you did say scouts) placed inside and around the program on the possibility of a hire that, as things turn out, didn't occur for three long years?

One begins to believe you might be pulling our legs. :)

But if not, that argues at how strongly certain athletic administrators around the country were interested in this particular job.

That's just it, though. You and I have both been Vol fans for the past 16 years. You respond to the hiring of DW and JH with cynicism, I respond with hope. So it's not all attributable to the Dark Ages. Part of it has to be differences in our outlooks, our perspectives. Just trying to understand what it is about yours that makes you and me see things so differently. Trying to understand you.

Good luck with that lol

Carlin best summed if up

I'm a modern man, a man for the millennium, digital and smoke-free. A diversified multicultural postmodern deconstructionist. Politically, anatomically, and ecologically incorrect.

Reactions: Spawn and VFL-82-JP
I understand. And that, dear GWC, sounds utterly Machiavellian. A source (or rather sources, plural; you did say scouts) placed inside and around the program on the possibility of a hire that, as things turn out, didn't occur for three long years?

One begins to believe you might be pulling our legs. :)

But if not, that argues at how strongly certain athletic administrators around the country were interested in this particular job.
This is all speculation and conjecture. But, if it were to have happened, the placement of loyalists would not have occurred immediately upon the initial hire. There would have been a delay, most likely. Then, Fulmer staying in place longer than expected extended the timeframe. Three years would be a long time frame, but I suspect if something like this were ever to happen in such a situation, that would not have been an accurate timeline per original expectations.

This is all speculation and conjecture. But, if it were to have happened, the placement of loyalists would not have occurred immediately upon the initial hire. There would have been a delay, most likely. Then, Fulmer staying in place longer than expected extended the timeframe. Three years would be a long time frame, but I suspect if something like this were ever to happen in such a situation, that would not have been an accurate timeline per original expectations.
So interesting talking with you. In a purely hypothetical vein, of course.

I really like AD DW. He brings professionalism with an optimistic outlook. I think he could prove to be a generational hire. Here are my personal thoughts on our previous ones:

Doug Dickey - Great for the time. He fostered success.
Michael Hamilton - Fired Fulmer after extending his contract. Tried to fire Pat Summitt. Worthless dog.
Joan Cronan - Replaced Hamilton. That alone is a success.
Dave Hart - Typical political type. Hired Botch Jones. I don't think he could have known what a paranoid idiot Jones would become.
John Currie - Mike Hamilton Worthless Dog award recipient.
Phil Fulmer - Loved UT. Hired an idiot bammer with no ceiling because he believed in the old school way of coaching. He did have success as AD by improving our overall standing on a national level. Brought us up in the Director's Cup standings. Left (pushed out) at an appropriate time.

Danny White seems to be nothing like his predecessors. That gives me hope and initial confidence.

I think you gave John Currie too much credit on your breakdown! HA!

But seriously ... among a list of incompetent buffoons, Currie stands out as perhaps the most overtly terrible. I still can’t forget that silly image of him on the sidelines after we had just lost to Missouri (I think) — It was a foregone conclusion to everyone that Jones should have been terminated by that time, but there is Currie blatantly posing for the cameras that he knew were on him. He had his “mean mug” expression on, as if he actually thought people would see him and say, “Wow! Look at that guy. He’s serious.” In reality, he looked like a weak, posturing idiot that took way too long to figure out that Butch Jones had to go. The fiasco that followed just added to the evidence that this clown was probably the worst of the bunch.

When Mike Hamilton is your mentor and Dan Snyder (along with a lot of other folks) hated you during your time at K-State, it’s probably a good sign that you’re terrible and not up to the UT job. And he only had like 8 months in the position. It shows why you have to have the right leader in place at the right time - and that having the wrong one in place can do incredible damage.

Last edited:
I think you gave John Currie too much credit on your breakdown! HA!

But seriously ... among a list of incompetent buffoons, Currie stands out as perhaps the most overtly terrible. I still can’t forget that silly image of him on the sidelines after we had just lost to Missouri (I think) — It was a foregone conclusion to everyone that Jones should have been terminated by that time, but there is Currie blatantly posing for the cameras that he knew were on him. He had his “mean mug” expression on, as if he actually thought people would see him and say, “Wow! Look at that guy. He’s serious.” In reality, he looked like a weak, posturing idiot that took way too long to figure out that Butch Jones had to go. The fiasco that followed just added to the evidence that this clown was probably the worst of the bunch.

When Mike Hamilton is your mentor and Dan Snyder (along with a lot of other folks) hated you during your time at K-State, it’s probably a good sign that you’re terrible and not up to the UT job. And he only had like 8 months in the position. It shows why you have to have the right leader in place at the right time - and that having the wrong one in place can do incredible damage.
In all fairness, I never saw where Dan Snyder had any opinion about John Currie. He struggles enough with the whole Washington Football Club thing.

I had the chance to encounter Mike Hamilton a couple of times. He does not get enough credit for being a monumental clown.

Reactions: Chad F
The better question is I wonder what Danny White's thoughts are?
  1. Oh S##t what have I gotten myself into.
  2. I love a good challenge lets get this done.
  3. Wow I have never had this much trouble hiring staff.
  4. The drama is much worse than people were saying. I am ready to get out of this place.
  5. Time to roll up my sleeves and put another star in my crown.
  6. Other not listed

VN Store

Back