AD & HC observations so far?

I don't put any stock at all into the comments that Coach H. has made about other sports. He knows his AD is big on athletic department branding and those comments are just to enhance the brand. Nothing more, nothing less. That's what you get when you hire an modern experienced AD and not a bean counter or former coach.

It's not too different than Bruce Pearl and the Lady Vols a few years back. That wasn't to increase the UTAD brand but the Bruce Pearl brand.
Yes early takeaway is that we are going to be heavy on branding. Prior stops at UCF for both show that to be true also. As bad as our brand has fallen, leaning heavy into videos, alumni presence, NFL current players, etc. will be vital to getting back. They also seem to be willing to listen to student athletes and adhere to their ideas. Better communication and teamwork could go along way for this season.

Some are saying you can’t make a decision as of yet as he has not even began Spring practice.

Well, I am excited. I think they both have come in with a great deal of excitement, especially seeing the firestorm our program has been. Their jobs do not begin once the season starts, it has already began and so far they have been great. So to have to wait for the season has nothing to do with my original post. The question was “so far” not where we are months from now. A great coach does more than just X&O’s, it is about building the brand, young men, recruiting, public relations, and so much more than just on the field production. If you do all of other things, winning will come.

JP, since I was post #2, I'll respond. I wouldn't consider myself just a follower. I'm just saying, it's Spring time and I want to see what happens on the field. I've lived through watching since Majors and until I see the product they produce, I can be optimistic but I need to see them work first. Let's be real, if only fans are excited right now, then there aren't many fans on Volnation. Threads are minimal at best talking about the team right now. I think most are just dealing with a year of Covid, political nonsense, cancel culture and a jacked up 20 years of Vols' football which has left us with an overwhelming feeling of disgust and an underwhelming desire to get hopes up until proven otherwise. As soon as it gets closer to pads smashing in Spring practice, I'm sure I'll get some of the excitement bug but for now, I'm just patiently waiting.

I'm not mad at your comment as I usually enjoy your input. Just my opinion on being a fan.
I'm glad it didn't offend you; truly no offense was intended.

I do think the past 12-15 years have turned a lot of us from fans into followers. I do think it's harder to get excited and enthusiastic, much less admiring, with the repeated let-downs of the Kiffin, Dooley, Jones and Pruitt years. Pride in the program comes from pride in winning, but also pride in the coaches "doing it the right way," and the lads carrying themselves in a way that reflects well on the university and our state. We haven't had all of those parts come together in a lot of years.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a person not feeling like much of a fan right now. Plus, the dictionary definitions are authoritative but aren't the only "right answer." However you define fan, that's more important to you than how I define fan, or how the dictionary does. If you think of yourself as a Tennessee fan even though you feel no excitement, enthusiasm or admiration, that's okay. :)

I'm just glad to have found a term ("follower") which really does capture all of us, whether cynical or psyched, excited or insulted. I always hated the term "nega-vol"...I'd prefer to think of people like Boro as "followers" instead. It seems more accurate and less derogatory.

You do you, Hurley. You're good. *thumbsup*

I am extremely excited about our new hires, especially the AD & HC. It is refreshing to see all of the energy and excitement that both seem to have for not just football but everything UT. I keep seeing where Coach H. has made comments about the men and women basketball teams and today a comment about the hot offense on our baseball team. This is very exciting and means a lot for the university. Not only does Coach H. focus on football but the entire university program. Just my observation but seems like something we have missed since Coach Fulmer ran the football program. One team, One fight! Go Vols!
I understand the reservations on here, but I am fairly excited. We shall see.

Yeah, we figured out in another thread, that's the difference between a fan (dictionary definition == "enthusiastic, ardent admirer"), and a follower.

Post #1 is a "fan" post. Posts #2 and #3 are "follower" posts.

Not casting aspersions on anyone involved, just noting the difference using dictionary definitions.

Vols still have a lot of fans left. But the Dark Ages have turned somewhere around half of us into followers instead. Here's hoping that half start getting their enthusiasm and admiration back starting this year.

Go Vols!
Sadly, putting a winner on the field would cure that. That's where we are.

If I'm not mistaken CPH-S donned a cheerleading suit and lead cheers at a men's game as well . . . I think the Pearl and Pat had mutual respect AND wanted to boost the brand.

GBO
He cheered at one of one of the Lady Vols basketball games while shirtless and had his chest painted orange. Then Coach Summit returned the favor at one of the men's basketball games by dressing as a cheerleader and cheered for them. It was all in good fun and a show of mutual support/respect for one another.

Reactions: BigDave
Yeah, we figured out in another thread, that's the difference between a fan (dictionary definition == "enthusiastic, ardent admirer"), and a follower.

Post #1 is a "fan" post. Posts #2 and #3 are "follower" posts.

Not casting aspersions on anyone involved, just noting the difference using dictionary definitions.

Vols still have a lot of fans left. But the Dark Ages have turned somewhere around half of us into followers instead. Here's hoping that half start getting their enthusiasm and admiration back starting this year.

Go Vols!
You might want to rethink this post. Saying someone isn't a true fan just because they aren't impressed and excited by fancy promises is way off the mark. After 12 years of this vicious cycle, the skepticism is justified.

You might want to rethink this post. Saying someone isn't a true fan just because they aren't impressed and excited by fancy promises is way off the mark. After 12 years of this vicious cycle, the skepticism is justified.
I didn't say they weren't a true fan, Brave. I only said that the dictionary definition of 'fan' does not fit them, and that follower would be more accurate in their cases (Other Guy and Hurley). Read further into the thread, you'll see I'm not insulting anyone.

And ironically, that is from an old Russian proverb. Reagan probably picked that saying up from Gorbachev.
And "Trust everybody, but cut the cards," came from a character named Dooley (not even kidding, it really did), a fictional Irish immigrant created by a dude named Finley Peter Dunne, about 120 years ago.

The idea behind both phrases has probably been around just about as long as humans have existed. :)

I think White is a solid AD. I think he was very limited in who he could hire due to the dumpster fire we’ve had here in the past. Heupel is a great offensive mind, probably the best hire we’ve had at head coach since Majors; I discount Fulmer bc he was a great coach but he was a hire more from circumstance than intelligence on AD’s part.

I'm POSITIVE this years spring game will finally be a direct correlation to how awesome UT is going to be on the field thus proving the coaching staff and AD (?) are triple play middle of the 12th double grandslam home run hires!
deanscream.gif

I believe we have two leaders who will humbly outwork nearly everyone they surround themselves with. They have great energy and are creating a culture that invites young people into a family. I’m in.

Reactions: kcvols1
I really believe we will have a better offense on the field next year. Excited to see an offense without Pruitt and JG being involved. All the other stuff I really think you can’t tell. Hard to get players or a fan base to buy in given the dumpster fire this program has been but I think White and Heupel are doing the right things so far.

VN Store

Back