About to get real on Rocky Top .........

Fans of other teams knocking our recruiting success saying it's a bunch of 3 stars, blah, blah need to just keep on thinking there's nothing to see here. This thing is being built right this time around. Hopefully Pruitt can keep this staff together for a few more years.

Tennessee currently has the five highest-ranked recruiters in the SEC

Fans of other teams knocking our recruiting success saying it's a bunch of 3 stars, blah, blah need to just keep on thinking there's nothing to see here. This thing is being built right this time around. Hopefully Pruitt can keep this staff together for a few more years.

Tennessee currently has the five highest-ranked recruiters in the SEC
I put this article on the GT Swarm Message Board under a post saying that Tennessee's 2021 recruiting class was puffed up by a bunch of 3 star players.

Reactions: CR-vol
This whole " we are ranked second in the country in recruiting because we have 23 commits and a lot of 3 stars is a completely false narrative. I am pretty certain that you could not even count 7 of the bottom 3 stars and we would fall all the way from 2nd down to 4th in the country nipping at or slightly above Clemson who is currently 3rd. You remember Clemson - how did they do on the field last season?

By any standard and any way that you slice it --- this is a remarkable recruiting class and a great job by our coaches and staff. This class would already have been in the top 9- 12 in the country last year and we are in MAY. That's MAY people. Don't fall for the bs of our competitors that our average recruit is 89.98 or whatever it is and say Ole Miss' average recruit is 90.25 so they are recruiting better than us.

Ole Miss and Kiffin I think have 3 recruits. South Carolina has 5.
Some of our 3 stars will end up 4 stars. This just happened to one of our recruits this week. Others are three stars but are as good or better than our 4 and 5 stars just under the radar guys that our coaches really like. There might be one or two who may be reassigned to other schools where they will get more playing time and have a greater chance for success.

We also have had two previous recruiting cycles where we closed with a bang. I expect a similar closing this season. We are recruiting like gangbusters - it's time to pour on more steam and support all of our great recruits because …….. " They have chosen wisely ". ( Indiana Jones reference )

We have great coaches that know how to coach on the field and know how to develop players for success and to prepare them for the NFL. Last years improvement reflects that. 2020 will be our second consecutive top 10 recruiting class and if you can string 3 of those together in a row ..... with great coaches .... you typically end up with a top 10 team and program. Buckle up ..... it's about to get real on Rocky Top. jmho

While I'd love to agree with you in principle, the truth is that this "narrative" is, in fact, correct.

Our 2021 average player ranking (per Rivals) is 3.39. This wouldn't even make it in the top-10 from 2020 (see pic below).

However, I will say that the fact that our 2021 class is filling up so quickly does, in fact, provide at least 2 very positive situations:

(1) Perception. There are alot of 4* and 5* uncommitted players out there. They see that everyone wants to come to TN, so there must be a reason, right? If JP plays his cards right, he can land a few blue chippers; and
(2) Flexibility. A sad but true part of recruitment today is the bait and switch. 3* players get an offer, accept it, but later on their program withdraws the offer and they're cut loose. As I recall, this happened with TN last year with a couple players. It's an ugly part of college football I guess, but these guys get picked up elsewhere. JP will, in all likelihood IMO, cut a few of the lower ranked guys moving forward if and when a better player - significantly better player - wants to join the team, but cap issues exist.

Overall, I think we'll definitely have a top-10 class when all is said and done... hopefully, top-5. But we ain't there yet.

2020a.jpg

Reactions: jakez4ut
(2) Flexibility. A sad but true part of recruitment today is the bait and switch. 3* players get an offer, accept it, but later on their program withdraws the offer and they're cut loose.

On the plus side. Anybody Tennessee recruits over is already of high enough standing that they've got other P5 offers. It's the players who find out at the 11th hour that they're not gonna get to play FBS or FCS level ball that I really feel sorry for.

While I'd love to agree with you in principle, the truth is that this "narrative" is, in fact, correct.

Our 2021 average player ranking (per Rivals) is 3.39. This wouldn't even make it in the top-10 from 2020 (see pic below).

However, I will say that the fact that our 2021 class is filling up so quickly does, in fact, provide at least 2 very positive situations:

(1) Perception. There are alot of 4* and 5* uncommitted players out there. They see that everyone wants to come to TN, so there must be a reason, right? If JP plays his cards right, he can land a few blue chippers; and
(2) Flexibility. A sad but true part of recruitment today is the bait and switch. 3* players get an offer, accept it, but later on their program withdraws the offer and they're cut loose. As I recall, this happened with TN last year with a couple players. It's an ugly part of college football I guess, but these guys get picked up elsewhere. JP will, in all likelihood IMO, cut a few of the lower ranked guys moving forward if and when a better player - significantly better player - wants to join the team, but cap issues exist.

Overall, I think we'll definitely have a top-10 class when all is said and done... hopefully, top-5. But we ain't there yet.

View attachment 281866
yeah...it's May. there'll be movement, and we're still in on a lot of really good players.....not worried.

If we are locked out of the stadium I am fine as long as the games are played and shown on TV. A few more drinks and a few less heart attacks but I can live with it for one season. GBO
Yes. I think there will be a season one way or another. TV revenue is better than none at all.

View attachment 281866
The graphic says class of 2020. We are talking about 2021, right?

View attachment 281866

First ,,,, Florida, Texas A M, LSU, Alabama all have average ratings per player below last year, partly because players haven't been evaluated, party because we haven't played any games yet, partly because they are lazy at Rivals. Players like Evans the number one JC running back in the country they list as a 5.6 three star. They will likely adjust him up to a 5.9 or 6.0 4 star later in the year. One of our high 4 star players will likely get a bump to a 5 star. Our ratings per player will rise.

Second …. You should never use Rivals for analysis.

Third ….. This 2021 class as is - with no additions would have finished 12 th in the country ( Rivals ) last year. We add 2 more 4 stars in June, July, August, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, or Feb. and we would have a top 10 class. Getting to a top 5 class probably requires 5 or so more top tier players in the next 9 months. That's about one every other month.

To the best of my ability, I start at "neutral" with new coaches and players. Just something I've learned in almost 15 years on this board. Some guys surprise. Some guys disappoint. I don't want to be like some who assume the worst so they are never disappointed or like others whose hopes are constantly dashed. Just let guys prove themselves.

Jones repeatedly gave me reasons to doubt him. Lack of integrity. His used car salesman overuse of cliches. His constant attempts to "relate" to players. The facade that didn't match the indications of poor attrition, player management, motivation, etc that kept leaking out. His scheme was never what he sold. His player development was awful. Excessive injuries to talented players he conned to sign on with him. Jones thought of himself as an innovator whose "system" would be like nothing the SEC had ever seen. It was but not in a good way. There were a few big things and a ton of small things from the very beginning that wouldn't let me buy into him.

Pruitt has been the opposite. I'm having to hold back. I like the way he's managing the program and players. I like how he manages his staff. I like his focus and development of players. He is building the team and scheme on fundamentals rather than reinventing every wheel... to include player sleep habits. He still has some things to prove on game day but he appears to be a guy who knows how to build a good foundation.

That's the long way around to this: I trust Pruitt's evaluations of recruits whether the recruiting sites rate them highly or not. One of the more interesting things is the number Pruitt recruits whose future positions become the subject of long debates here. That kind of flexibility, athleticism, and football intelligence is a very positive thing IMO... even if they're just a lowly 3*. Lots of times guys with ambiguous future positions do not get the ratings they deserve.

Unless they drop some guys and replace them with 4/5* guys... I think this is a top 12 class... not top 5. And IMHO... that's good enough for me to believe Pruitt is assembling the talent needed to win at a high level.

New guidance came out from the CDC the other day acknowledging that Covid-19 spread through infected surfaces rarely if ever occurs. Slowly... grudgingly... they are being overwhelmed by data that shows what many of us suspected was correct. There was a MASSIVE overreaction to this virus and a response that was harmful in many ways that may not have helped very much at all.

By the way - I am pro Cotton Pickin Kids and pro "woo". While I have never "woo" d myself, there are females that I know that live for that, including my daughter. The girl on the Cotton Pickin Kids has a very nice follow through on her "woo" - one of the best that I have seen. :)

Reactions: MAD
To the best of my ability, I start at "neutral" with new coaches and players. Just something I've learned in almost 15 years on this board. Some guys surprise. Some guys disappoint. I don't want to be like some who assume the worst so they are never disappointed or like others whose hopes are constantly dashed. Just let guys prove themselves.

Jones repeatedly gave me reasons to doubt him. Lack of integrity. His used car salesman overuse of cliches. His constant attempts to "relate" to players. The facade that didn't match the indications of poor attrition, player management, motivation, etc that kept leaking out. His scheme was never what he sold. His player development was awful. Excessive injuries to talented players he conned to sign on with him. Jones thought of himself as an innovator whose "system" would be like nothing the SEC had ever seen. It was but not in a good way. There were a few big things and a ton of small things from the very beginning that wouldn't let me buy into him.

Pruitt has been the opposite. I'm having to hold back. I like the way he's managing the program and players. I like how he manages his staff. I like his focus and development of players. He is building the team and scheme on fundamentals rather than reinventing every wheel... to include player sleep habits. He still has some things to prove on game day but he appears to be a guy who knows how to build a good foundation.

That's the long way around to this: I trust Pruitt's evaluations of recruits whether the recruiting sites rate them highly or not. One of the more interesting things is the number Pruitt recruits whose future positions become the subject of long debates here. That kind of flexibility, athleticism, and football intelligence is a very positive thing IMO... even if they're just a lowly 3*. Lots of times guys with ambiguous future positions do not get the ratings they deserve.

Unless they drop some guys and replace them with 4/5* guys... I think this is a top 12 class... not top 5. And IMHO... that's good enough for me to believe Pruitt is assembling the talent needed to win at a high level.

Jones promised us the best staff in America - and he has delivered. Granted it wasn't while he was here but his departure has ultimately brought about a top tier staff that we can be proud of. And it's already a top 12 class - well on it's way to a top 5 class.

Jones promised us the best staff in America - and he has delivered. Granted it wasn't while he was here but his departure has ultimately brought about a top tier staff that we can be proud of. And it's already a top 12 class - well on it's way to a top 5 class.

LOL. This is great logic, and when you break it down, it's 100% true. He bricked us..

Reactions: keithpowers

View attachment 281866

Thanks. This is how you cut through all the crap and get down to a more clear idea of where we end up after NSD 21. It's fun to be in the news being the hottest thing on the recruiting trail. That helps. But, when it's all said and done this class won't end up ranked Top 3, unless Pruitt processes a bunch on lower rated players.
That's not a knock on the class b/c Top10 is pretty dang good after a 8-5 season w losses to BYU and GSU.

Reactions: MontyPython

all of this. couldn't agree more. especially about the ambiguous position guys. this staff, and pruitt specifically, have done a lot of that in the last 3 years. siap the other day, it was almost a running joke for me that it seemed like every kid we offered was 6'3", 220, and played S, LB, TE, RB, WR...lol. and the roster is littered w/guys like that. and there's a few more in this class. and you're also correct on rating kids like that. they're difficult to project at the next level, so services don't necessarily know what to dow ith them, except to say they're good football players, can help in a number of ways, depending on what the staff wants to do with them and what their frames can handle from a deveopment standpoint...and they give htem a 3* rating as a result.

as to how this class finishes, i just can't get myself to believe that as we sit here today that what you see is what you're gonna get.

i like this class a lot, but there is some "dead weight" at the bottom that will likely not sign here. and i happen to think that may be by design in a few cases.

we're still very much in it for some serious talent, and while i know we won't (we actually can't) get them all, we're going to add some more blue chips to this class before it's all said and done.

barring some epic collapse, i see this class finishing inside the top 10. could be top 5, but that would probably require some pretty specific things happening...that probably won't.

i'm like you, i like what ive seen so far from how the program is being managed and how the roster is being constructed and developed, and how he's handled adjustments on the staff. if nothing else, pruitt has stated puproses and goals, and expectations, and is going out and aquiring players and coaches to that end.....not necessarily what the previous regime was all about.... lss...substance over style.

w/l's, game days, etc...still much left TBD. but count me frimly in the group that says "so far, so good".

Reactions: sjt18

View attachment 281866
Tennessee Staff lets certain kids commit with the understanding they may not have room for them in the end. It helps the kid as well with exposure. We still have so may big time lineman both sides and few DB this staff will get I believe so yes when December and February hit we will have a Top 5 Class. Maybe even the best in SEC if the 2 5 stars from GA come here. Philippians 4:6-7

Thanks. This is how you cut through all the crap and get down to a more clear idea of where we end up after NSD 21. It's fun to be in the news being the hottest thing on the recruiting trail. That helps. But, when it's all said and done this class won't end up ranked Top 3, unless Pruitt processes a bunch on lower rated players.
That's not a knock on the class b/c Top10 is pretty dang good after a 8-5 season w losses to BYU and GSU.
agree. and, siap, i can't sit here today still 6ish months out out on signing day and believe that what we see today is what we're gonna get then.

there'll be attrition, and we're just in on too many other really good prospects to think we're not gonna be adding more before it's all over. i won't be surprised one bit if we look up in a month or so and see us with 25+ commits.

agree on the job they've done really the past two cycles. signed a top 10 class last year after 5-7, and has us sitting #2 after last year, and that horrible start.

you start stacking top 10 classes, like it appears we're set up to do, and it won't be terribly long before we're seriously contending again.

the only caveat, that i think many forget about it, is that while it's definitley good, and exactly what we need.....we're not passing UGA, UF, Bama on the talent scale. this level of recruiting just gets the playing field "even" again...those programs have multiple years of top 5 recruting built up, that's where their depth is....top 5 depth...not just front lines....so, this level of recruiting allows us to be capable of competing at those levels again. i guess that's my PSA for the day. lol.

Tennessee Staff lets certain kids commit with the understanding they may not have room for them in the end. It helps the kid as well with exposure. We still have so may big time lineman both sides and few DB this staff will get I believe so yes when December and February hit we will have a Top 5 Class. Maybe even the best in SEC if the 2 5 stars from GA come here. Philippians 4:6-7
yep. and while i think this is osmething that probably happens every cycle at other programs too, i think it's particularly noteworthy this year because of what happened to the camp schedules. really hurt some kids' chances of gaining some exposure, either at 3rd party camps, or campus run camps.

VN Store

Back