About that Shot block record

madtownvol

As Tamari Key moves up the list with over 200 blocks, she is on pace to pass Kelly Cain this season and, next season to pass Candace Parker's LV record of 275 block shots. On that record, Parker set that standard while only playing 3 seasons for the LVS. She averaged 91 blocks per season while playing multiple positions, including PG during one stretch of the 2005-2006 season. And of course she also lead the team in scoring and rebounds those same seasons. What an amazing college career and prelude of what was to come as a pro.

As Tamari Key moves up the list with over 200 blocks, she is on pace to pass Kelly Cain this season and, next season to pass Candace Parker's LV record of 275 block shots. On that record, Parker set that standard while only playing 3 seasons for the LVS. She averaged 91 blocks per season while playing multiple positions, including PG during one stretch of the 2005-2006 season. And of course she also lead the team in scoring and rebounds those same seasons. What an amazing college career and prelude of what was to come as a pro.
Key has a shot at Candace's record this season. Currently standing at 206 she needs 70 blocks to break the record. Potentially as many as 19 to 20 games remaining this season. Averaging 3.8 blocks per game so 19 times 3.8 is 72 blocks. I don't know if she can keep up the average, but if she does then the record will fall this season. Of course we don't know if there will be 19 more games, but all things being perfect she could do it.

Candace was the greatest, most versatile college player I ever saw play. She was also peerless in terms of preparation, always being the first to arrive at practice, and the last to leave. CP3 also provided us all with THE greatest illustration of personal toughness and determination that time she completely dislocated her shoulder and then played on after the dangling arm had been popped back in place. I said that night that I had never, and likely never will again, witness anything that unselfish and strong. AndI haven't. Gawd I love that woman!

Key has a shot at Candace's record this season. Currently standing at 206 she needs 70 blocks to break the record. Potentially as many as 19 to 20 games remaining this season. Averaging 3.8 blocks per game so 19 times 3.8 is 72 blocks. I don't know if she can keep up the average, but if she does then the record will fall this season. Of course we don't know if there will be 19 more games, but all things being perfect she could do it.

IF the stars align. Also, I think TK had more than 5 blocks last night (I counted 7). I guess there is some ambiguity in what counts as an official block.

[VIDEO=][VIDEO=]
I believe Tamari surpasses the blocks record this season, so there would be an apples--to--apples comparison with Candace as it relates to blocks. Go get it Tamari.
[/VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Candace was the greatest, most versatile college player I ever saw play. She was also peerless in terms of preparation, always being the first to arrive at practice, and the last to leave. CP3 also provided us all with THE greatest illustration of personal toughness and determination that time she completely dislocated her shoulder and then played on after the dangling arm had been popped back in place. I said that night that I had never, and likely never will again, witness anything that unselfish and strong. AndI haven't. Gawd I love that woman!
If we had a young Candace Parker on this years team I would be yelling National Championship because we could certainly be the best team in the country.

Okay, on second thought, games played is a better benchmark. Candace played 110 games as a LV and averaged 2.5 blocks per game. I believe across her 2 + seasons, TK has played only 69 games (which includes a covid shortened freshman season) and is averaging 3 blocks per game.

Okay, on second thought, games played is a better benchmark. Candace played 110 games as a LV and averaged 2.5 blocks per game. I believe across her 2 + seasons, TK has played only 69 games (which includes a covid shortened freshman season) and is averaging 3 blocks per game.
This establishes that Tamari's performance is that much more impressive.

I remember Candace being the same level of shot blocker as Tamari. If I didn't know she had 275 blocks I would've thought she had a lot more. She swatted everything away that came inside she was just like Key a person that made the entire defense better. What she was that Key is not is a player you could not guard on offense. She could play point guard, every position. She could post and also beat you off the dribble. She is certainly one of the most versatile players that ever played at Tennessee or anywhere ever.

It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of stats of both Candace and Tamari's first two seasons to see how the numbers stacked up. I'm pretty sure Candace was a starter from her first game on, but I can't remember if Tamari was. Were there total minutes played comparable after two full seasons? I just did a quick look for Parker's LV career stats, but couldn't find them. I'm not at a place I can easily go searching for them right now. Anyone else have access to that info?

I suspect that Tamari will have played way fewer games her first two seasons than Candace played in hers, and so played fewer minutes overall. So, if Tamari has 200 blocks in 1,000 total minutes, and Candace played (guessing) 1400 minutes to get 200 ... it begins to look even more impressive what Tamari is doing. But that's assuming Candace played more minutes than Tamari did. I don't even know if that's true.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Tamari lost a lot of minutes early in her career due to foul trouble (including fouling out). One of the many great things about Tamari is that she has been open about her weaknesses and how she has worked to overcome them. She says that she had to learn to play smarter and not let negatives get into her head. She gets lots of props for her humility and maturity which has led to her emergence as one of the most intimidating enforcers/erasers in the game today. And she always acknowledges her teammates, coaches, and the fans. Her folks are rightfully proud of her (and Teonni, whom I wish would reconsider!).

One element of the shot block in which Tamari may never surpass Candace is the post-rejection staredown.

creekdipper - to reflect on your comment I would find no fault if Tamari were to (like Candace) get a technical for such a stare post rejection.
She needs to work on a Dikembe…
DistortedInsecureHaddock-max-1mb.gif

Kellie Jolly probably matched that toughness in her playing days. Candace had a shoulder injury, but with Kellie returning only two months after a torn ACL in 1997 and then ripping Ligaments in her ankle in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Grambling State and convincing doctors she was ok to play and go on to help her team to a national championship showed just a little bit of toughness too.

Kellie Jolly probably matched that toughness in her playing days. Candace had a shoulder injury, but with Kellie returning only two months after a torn ACL in 1997 and then ripping Ligaments in her ankle in the first round of the NCAA tournament against Grambling State and convincing doctors she was ok to play and go on to help her team to a national championship showed just a little bit of toughness too.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...s-jolly/c3619e8c-5c01-4662-a8be-b3fb79fc6a7a/

It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of stats of both Candace and Tamari's first two seasons to see how the numbers stacked up. I'm pretty sure Candace was a starter from her first game on, but I can't remember if Tamari was. Were there total minutes played comparable after two full seasons? I just did a quick look for Parker's LV career stats, but couldn't find them. I'm not at a place I can easily go searching for them right now. Anyone else have access to that info?

I suspect that Tamari will have played way fewer games her first two seasons than Candace played in hers, and so played fewer minutes overall. So, if Tamari has 200 blocks in 1,000 total minutes, and Candace played (guessing) 1400 minutes to get 200 ... it begins to look even more impressive what Tamari is doing. But that's assuming Candace played more minutes than Tamari did. I don't even know if that's true.

Also, people have to remember as great as she was she was a redshirt freshman which means she had a year to learn how to play the right way along with her already impressive skill set which i also believe helped her be a better defensive player.

I wonder if Kellie’s knees are okay now because she put them through hell to play basketball 😂😂

I have often wondered if she hurt her chances of enjoying at least a couple of years in the WNBA because she came back too soon from surgeries.

Not that Kellie Jolly could ever have been accused of being “quick” even BEFORE knee surgeries and ankle injury, but she was an excellent floor general with terrific court vision and had a way of hitting timely threes. She may have had at least a brief career in the W with a tad more lateral quickness.

Anyway, I always felt like she sacrificed a possible basketball career for that 1997 National Championship. And if someone asked, she’d probably do it all over again.

What exactly makes TK such an incredible shot blocker? Others are very tall with very long arms. Others have way more hops. Is it timing? Positioning? This has been her superpower fm the moment she got here and I just wonder what sets her apart so much in this area.

What exactly makes TK such an incredible shot blocker? Others are very tall with very long arms. Others have way more hops. Is it timing? Positioning? This has been her superpower fm the moment she got here and I just wonder what sets her apart so much in this area.

I think Tamari has the perfect balance of excellent timing and superior wingspan. Her long arms create extra space between her blocking hand and the ball, and then she just has a naturally good instinct about when to go for it.

It’s one thing above all else…

DESIRE

TK lives for a good block party.

Tamari lost a lot of minutes early in her career due to foul trouble (including fouling out). One of the many great things about Tamari is that she has been open about her weaknesses and how she has worked to overcome them. She says that she had to learn to play smarter and not let negatives get into her head. She gets lots of props for her humility and maturity which has led to her emergence as one of the most intimidating enforcers/erasers in the game today. And she always acknowledges her teammates, coaches, and the fans. Her folks are rightfully proud of her (and Teonni, whom I wish would reconsider!).

One element of the shot block in which Tamari may never surpass Candace is the post-rejection staredown.

Great post creek! I too wish Teonni would give the Lady Vols a look. North Carolina has been playing well though would probably be even better with Teonni.

I maintain NC is about to hit a brick wall in conference play as they haven’t played many quality teams yet. But their offense is much better and they are aggressive on the glass even undersized.

If we make a deep tournament run I could see little sis taking an interest in playing with big sis for her senior season….sibling relationships are interesting though.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back