AAU thread

This site did the same thing to Jordan last year,,,,Hero,,,goat,,,hero,,,goat...
ImpishHonoredGuineafowl-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Bret178 and ruvol
GT, if you watched that game you had to see no shooters. For Miles to drive the defense has to respect the outside game and there was none. She had no chance to score bc the defense could collapse without fear.
Miles scored 20 a game in both HS and AAU. She can score, but not when she is the only threat!

I am not worried GT, I don't miss my evaluations and they are not totally based on what an athlete can do now, but as well, potential and this kid has speed, handles and no fear.

Not worried...But I understand the concerns. At this viewing they are valid.
Once the kid gets a little help, you'll see what I see
I always thought that the defense collapses when the player with the ball struggles to make outside shots. I didn't think it was because her teammates struggle to make outside shots.

I always thought that the defense collapses when the player with the ball struggles to make outside shots. I didn't think it was because her teammates struggle to make outside shots.

If the defense doesn't have to respect the non-ball handlers shooting, they can collapse even more

Look at Miles second drive 1:34 into the video
No call, definite foul!

The first drive, 35 brings her hand down,,,questionable, could go either way
Seconds later Miles steals and #1 lays an arm across her body,,,defitine fouls,,no call
This happens 4-5 times in the game, no call on an obvious foul
When you don't get the calls, you try to pass to teammates

But what do I know?

Look at Miles second drive 1:34 into the video
No call, definite foul!

Thius happens 4-5 times in the game, no call on an obvious foul
But what do I know?

From a single angle long distance camera angle compared to the ref on the floor right near the play? Methinks you are looking for things. Those can always go both ways but when it's against a player you like, it's always a foul.

Reactions: HoopsFan
From a single angle long distance camera angle compared to the ref on the floor right near the play? Methinks you are looking for things. Those can always go both ways but when it's against a player you like, it's always a foul.

the second one is an obvious foul, like or not like, Rutgers fan
I'm not going to let other teams' trolls p me off this year
Break out the pitchforks!!, Frankie is a 5'6" not-played-a-single-minute-in-orange-yet monster, this year

the second one is an obvious foul, like or not like, Rutgers fan
I'm not going to let other teams' trolls p me off this year
Break out the pitchforks!!, Frankie is a 5'6" not-played-a-single-minute-in-orange-yet monster, this year
Don't put this on me, Coach J. It was pretty much all loyal Tennessee fans.

It's AAU refs. I'm not sure what you are expecting.

He knows how to build a team, but I wouldn't say he just goes for the proven scorers. He's got a lot of athletic "projects" on the team, but he also couples them with strong floor leaders and the best offensive sets in the country to rely less on players creating their own shots and more on excellent ball movement to create easy shots. That IMO is what Kellie needs to do. Get rid of the outdated 90s style "crash the boards for putbacks" and "hero ball" that has plagued the team since Parker graduated.

Tennessee doesn't necessarily need the best shooters/scorers, but they need a modern offense that will make them harder to defend in ways beyond just "out-athleting" the competition.
Ding ding ding

Coach take off your orange glasses for a second.....
images

It is obvious to most of us, she has to become a better shooter to become an effective offensive player at the SEC level....Shake and bake is good for fried chicken, but not for scoring baskets.
GUEST_6e65b035-e82d-454f-810d-18f94432e73a

Y’all aren’t going to change that man’s mind leave him alone LOL...

The great thing is this young lady has 4 years to gain those skills at the SEC level. The issue is people are acting like she is supposed to come in already at those levels.

If he wants to wear orange shades let him... what he eats shouldn’t make anyone else on this board $#!+

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Y’all aren’t going to change that man’s mind leave him alone LOL...

The great thing is this young lady has 4 years to gain those skills at the SEC level. The issue is people are acting like she is supposed to come in already at those levels.

If he wants to wear orange shades let him... what he eats shouldn’t make anyone else on this board $#!+

Just mostly having fun with Coach....He's really a GREAT GUY...(Stubborn, but still great)

Seems like we have a very long time before we ever see live basketball again anyways....Heck, she may have those 4 years used up before we ever play again...At one of the press conferences yesterday, one of the doctors wants everything shut down for at least 2 more years.

Don't put this on me, Coach J. It was pretty much all loyal Tennessee fans.

It's AAU refs. I'm not sure what you are expecting.

Nut, I am just trying to avoid our "dance",,, first we talk, then debate, then argue, and then attack, and finally leave the discussion....A dance I am tired of

Sometimes I look at the game but most of the time I look at the players
Miles was assigned to Fudd at the score of 19-9 after Fudd had scored 15 of her team's 19 points. Couple that with Miles hitting several passes to open teammates for naught.
That's a lot to put on a 17 year old.
Once the game began to get out of hand, I personally started sideline watching.

As a coach, if a game does get out of hand I begin to coach a different focuses...winning moments,,,, winning matchups,,,,, honing my own skills working refs,,,things like that.
But I saw none of that from the sidelines.
Players need to see more fight from the bench, to find fight in their game.
(think about the lack of fight from CHW and the lack of fight from her teams,,,conversely, seeing Coach K get in the ref's grill in a few occasions and the fight that was found in our girls this past season)

Guys, I don't look at the game as a fan. I look at it as if I was on the sidelines and in that position.
In this game I began watching the trees (Miles and Fudd), but at the point where they let Fudd go off for 15 of the first 19, I began to watch the forest.

This is why I am not on Miles' case
Yes she needs to work on shooting open looks
yes she needs to bulk up and get stronger so she can finish when receiving contact on drives
Yes, crosscourt passing will get her into trouble once she gets to the collegiate level (athletes quicker, smarter and anticipate better)
But, in the opposite
She showed no fear of driving into traffic
She made some excellent penetrate and dishes
Her assists would have smashed her turnovers if they had converted some of the open looks

Lastly, this is a 17 year old rising Senior who has a full year to work on these things
I see an excellent speedster who can lockdown on defense against quick guards
This is something we have lacked for a very long time.

But you guys see what you see and it is relevant, just in my eyes, a little premature in your expectations

Reactions: Bret178 and dapeak
Mississippi State’s past two points guards haven’t had much of a jump shot either, or been big times scorers, but they play tenacious defense, both led the SEC in A/TO the past two seasons, take charges, run their team, and do all the little things.

If Miles can do all those things, she can be a key player.

Just mostly having fun with Coach....He's really a GREAT GUY...(Stubborn, but still great)

Seems like we have a very long time before we ever see live basketball again anyways....Heck, she may have those 4 years used up before we ever play again...At one of the press conferences yesterday, one of the doctors wants everything shut down for at least 2 more years.

I know he speaks of you in high regard I was just messing around... lol everybody knows he is stubborn and opinionated. I really hope nobody think I was serious I just wanted to join in the fun poking.

Reactions: GameTime
He is talking about the help defense collapsing

Wanted to start a separate thread to collect all of the AAU information, streams, results, highlights, etc. of our four commits as well as some younger prospects.

Miles and Wynn (playing on KY Premier 17U EYBL) have a tournament in Indianapolis this weekend. They should have very good competition:
- July 5, 7:30 vs. Tree of Hope EYBL
- July 6, 5:30 vs. GTS Fusion (Azzi Fudd’s team)
- July 6, 9:15 vs. Nike Lady Gym Rats
- July 7, 12:30 vs. Team Elite EYBL (Hollingshead and McPherson’s team)
- July 7, 4:15 vs. All Iowa Attack EYBL

Games will be streamed on BallerTV.

Any updates on the last three games ?

Any updates on the last three games ?
Haven’t gotten around to them yet, but I do plan on watching. Will report back when I do.

Sara and Karoline’s games are being streamed this weekend. They play a really good Team Curry squad with Reigan Richardson, Talaysia Cooper, and Amiya Joyner, as well as FBC United.

Haven’t gotten around to them yet, but I do plan on watching. Will report back when I do.

Sara and Karoline’s games are being streamed this weekend. They play a really good Team Curry squad with Reigan Richardson, Talaysia Cooper, and Amiya Joyner, as well as FBC United.

Thanks hammer for doing this for us.....I'm a huge fan of Striplin and Puckett...They are the future of Lady Vol ball....

Of course, they have work to do, but they are solidly built for combat...Anytime your team has 2 bigs that can shoot from behind the heartbreak line, your team cam be dominant.

I always thought UConn had that advantage, because their bigs could pop from anywhere in the arena.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
Thanks hammer for doing this for us.....I'm a huge fan of Striplin and Puckett...They are the future of Lady Vol ball....

Of course, they have work to do, but they are solidly built for combat...Anytime your team has 2 bigs that can shoot from behind the heartbreak line, your team cam be dominant.

I always thought UConn had that advantage, because their bigs could pop from anywhere in the arena.

You talk about UConn more than NeedOrange......lol.

Reactions: Oldman70
You talk about UConn more than NeedOrange......lol.

I've recognized for a long time what they brought to women's basketball...They brought good and watchable offense...Can't argue about their success...It has been amazing.

I'm not defending Geno, just acknowledging they play a good game of ball.

Last edited:
Watched all of Starz games at War Games including today. Happy to provide stats if interested, but after 6 games I thought it would be easier just to provide a general analysis.

Puckett
Pros: She can score the ball! Looks really strong. Quick trigger on her shot and comfortable pulling up from anywhere. Saw her hit prob 40-50% of her 3s and connected on fast break pull-ups, baseline jumpers, one dribble pull-ups, and free-throw line jumpers over the weekend. She's a shooter, but can also score in a number of ways around the rim. She's comfortable with her back to the basket, but I wouldn't call her a banger. I've been really impressed with her passing, both in high school and in AAU. I've only seen one game where she was really struggling to score, and she immediately went to facilitator mode and racked up 6-7 assists. She's also good for 1-2 volleyball blocks a game.

Areas for improvement: Defense and rebounding. She's a smart defender, but against the really athletic teams she has struggled to keep perimeter players in front of her. I think that will be a challenge if she slides up to the three at Tenn. I think she can be a good team defender though with her length. I also think with her strength that she could be a better rebounder.

Striplin
Pros: Physical and skilled. Not the same rebounder, but reminds me a bit of Bashaara. I was happy to see how quick her spin move is and how quick she can attack from the high post. She's almost automatic from the free-throw line, and it was encouraging to see her hit some long jumpers over the weekend. I think that is going to help her see the floor early in Knoxville. If she could extend her range just a little further to the three-point line, she's going to be a really great stretch four/five. She doesn't shy away from contact, and is active in setting screens and posting down low.

Areas for improvement: She's throws up some wild shots from time to time, although I would say generally she did a good job at finishing. Obviously room to get stronger and finish through contact. Like Puckett, I think she can really improve as a rebounder. Striplin does a great job of boxing out, but she often doesn't "finish" and grab the board. She has a good connection with Sara, and had a few highlight-reel passes to her, but I also think she can improve on her passing/decisions when double-teamed.

---------
Overall really enjoy watching the two of them, and I think they're going to be great additions to our current roster. They're both skilled, play hard, and compete. They're the focal points of their team's offense right now and they consistently deliver.

Also of note, really enjoy watching Karly Weathers for the younger Starz squad. She's a knock-down shooter with a quick trigger and confidence. Good handle and floor leader. Reminds me of Marina Mabrey a bit.

VN Store

Back